DIY Waxing

Extremme

I also DIY it, but in every 6 months, i.e. get to exercise every 6 months...

Washing car thoroughly follow by clay bar easily 2 - 2.5 hours. 

Following by another 3 hours of (1) polish, (2) wax & (3) sealant.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

(edited)

I do wash my own car around once a week or once every forthnighly depending if I have the time. Every 4 to 6 months I will just clay bar my car and finish off with a coat of sealant. It's siong but after you see the end result, I feel shiok especially I am driving a black color car, it look shiny when light shine on my car. :D

Edited by Axeman24
  • Praise 2

Have not tried claybar but read it microscratches the clear coat. So far just doing weekly wash and spray wax. Lets see how this weekly maintenace regime does. If want to apply a more longlasting wax/sealant then may need to consider some claybar. Definitely dont see myself polishing...too major liao.

Have not tried claybar but read it microscratches the clear coat. So far just doing weekly wash and spray wax. Lets see how this weekly maintenace regime does. If want to apply a more longlasting wax/sealant then may need to consider some claybar. Definitely dont see myself polishing...too major liao.

Oh! What products are you using?

Oh! What products are you using?

Just optimum no rinse and meguiars quik wax. Meguiars perfect clarity for glass. Inside wipe with damp cloth. Have not used meguiars vinyl and leather cleaner that i bought yet. Tyre dressing tried the meguiars endurance , not bad.

Seems like nowadays people don't wax their cars themselves. This detailing thread is all about which protection service to get. Also when I search MCF on DIY related stuff the threads are all around 8 years ago....

I just got a car and my colleagues are teasing me that after 1 month I wont be doing washing and waxing myself anymore. So far I am liking the 1.5hr or so of exercise a week.

Anyone still DIYing? Just wondering what proportion still are...

at the moment i m enjoying doing it, in fact looking forward to cleaning the car :) but i dont know for how long. btw i really want to learn the proper way of polishing and waxing the car...and recommendation for good product. Read from somewhere that we should polish the car then wax is it true?

at the moment i m enjoying doing it, in fact looking forward to cleaning the car :) but i dont know for how long. btw i really want to learn the proper way of polishing and waxing the car...and recommendation for good product. Read from somewhere that we should polish the car then wax is it true?

Yes, have to restore the surface with the polish. Ultimately polish is more abrasive, after polish then wax or a better results..

That's what i do too.

I washed both my wife’s car and my car every Sunday regardless rain or shine as long as I’m in town. I take it as an exercise for me at least once a week. My wife asks me to join her practicing tai-chi but I choose to enjoy washing car and is as good as playing tai-chi J

I only wash with ArmourALL Wax+Protect shampoo and applying Meguiars Quik Wax after wash once in every alternate week. For tires, I apply Waxco tire shine.  For internal, I just clean with water and vacuum.  My previous car still looks good and shine even on the day I scraped my old car.  Maybe becuase I parked my at MSCP and Office Building and seldom exposes to sunlight.

• Praise 2

I washed both my wife’s car and my car every Sunday regardless rain or shine as long as I’m in town. I take it as an exercise for me at least once a week. My wife asks me to join her practicing tai-chi but I choose to enjoy washing car and is as good as playing tai-chi J

I only wash with ArmourALL Wax+Protect shampoo and applying Meguiars Quik Wax after wash once in every alternate week. For tires, I apply Waxco tire shine.  For internal, I just clean with water and vacuum.  My previous car still looks good and shine even on the day I scraped my old car.  Maybe becuase I parked my at MSCP and Office Building and seldom exposes to sunlight.

every alternate week? is there such a thing as over waxing? I dont mind doing it too.

• Praise 1

Guys, I intend to do waxing on my car. I used to do it manually but I thought maybe a handheld wax machine will be handy. Any recommendations?

I am not sure about using a handheld machine

but I certainly won't be doing any waxing

on the car. I would rather do it in the bathroom.

I am a bit shy about doing these things in public.

:D

• Praise 3

every alternate week? is there such a thing as over waxing? I dont mind doing it too.

I only apply a thin layer of wax, its not harmful to the car.  Moreover the Quik Wax is a liquid so is very easy to apply.

I forgot to mention this, I also used this post-173085-0-99844800-1475056019.png to polish and wax once in 3 months.

oh you mean this is a 2 in 1 application?

I think so brother, I've been using this product for more than 4-5 years so far so good. Easy to apply & buff off and very easy to dry the car after  washed.

other then autobacs may i know where else you can get the Meguiars Quik Wax? Thanks.

other then autobacs may i know where else you can get the Meguiars Quik Wax? Thanks.

I always get it from autobacs at Bukit Batok, is near to my home. I am sure there's other places available but I do not know where. Once in a while I will drop by to see if any promotion offer then I buy.

↡ Advertisement