DIY Waxing

Extremme

The forum you posted had many advising it ok to use wax on windscreen, in contrast to your last paragraph that advised against it. And that paragraph actually offered no substance to back the argument up.

Anyway I have been doing it for years, so not bother me at all. Not base on hearsay but personal experience. Just need abit of courage to try it. No harm done really even if has slight juddering, as it will recover after awhile as wax lose its effect. You will learn to finetune the process to make it better. But for those not so adventurous, I would recommend using Glaco that is super easy to apply with excellent result.

Brother Heartlander, today after washing my car I decided to polish and wax it since it rains almost every day.  After waxing, I use the remaining wax from the applicator to wax the windscreen and all windows. Surprisingly I noticed that the windscreen and windows are clearer and shine. 

​Thanks for your recommendation :)

↡ Advertisement

Brother Heartlander, today after washing my car I decided to polish and wax it since it rains almost every day.  After waxing, I use the remaining wax from the applicator to wax the windscreen and all windows. Surprisingly I noticed that the windscreen and windows are clearer and shine. 

​Thanks for your recommendation :)

Glad you have tried it! [thumbsup] 

You can use the applicator to do "maintenance" every few weeks as the wax effect will lose over time. Juddering might happen if you use to much wax, so you learn to use less amount of wax the next time till you get the optimum level. In fact tiny amount will do.

But I would not advise to use polish on windscreen as it is abrasive by nature, but only wax.

This trick is best especially for older cars that have not been waxed regularly, of course also relevant for new cars. And best thing is that it takes less than 5min to complete after washing the windscreen.

Glad you have tried it! [thumbsup] 

You can use the applicator to do "maintenance" every few weeks as the wax effect will lose over time. Juddering might happen if you use to much wax, so you learn to use less amount of wax the next time till you get the optimum level. In fact tiny amount will do.

But I would not advise to use polish on windscreen as it is abrasive by nature, but only wax.

This trick is best especially for older cars that have not been waxed regularly, of course also relevant for new cars. And best thing is that it takes less than 5min to complete after washing the windscreen.

Hearlander, this morning on my way to office there was some light rain along the PIE and the wipers have no juddering and the vision was very clear.  As you've said don't apply too much wax it would be fine.  Thanks.

Wow, your car must be  perpetually spotlessly clean.

You mention about reducing water marks.

How do you remove them?

Edited by BabyBlade
Unauthorised advertising
  • Praise 1

I do wash my own car around once a week or once every forthnighly depending if I have the time. Every 4 to 6 months I will just clay bar my car and finish off with a coat of sealant. It's siong but after you see the end result, I feel shiok especially I am driving a black color car, it look shiny when light shine on my car. :D

Hi Bro

this post will be for other bros out there as my other account cant post hence created this. This is how my car is dialed in:

Protection:

- Polish (with Rupes LHR21 and Menzerna FG400) when i collected my new car and when it is in immaculate condition, applied Fireball glass coating on roof and bumpers

- Remaining panels was sealed and wax with menzerna power lock or sonax polymer netshield and waxed.

- I wax once a month often changing wax as i have more than 10 types of wax ranging from durable wax, show wax and hybrid wax (contains polymer or SIO2)

- Glass and sunroof coated with Gyeon Q2 View

- Trims protected with Gyeon Trim

- Leather protected with Kubebond Leather Shield

At this point, bros will be wondering why not coat the whole car?

- I like to wax my car thats the first reason.

- I am looking to wet snad my bonnet and remaining panels to reduce orange peel before coating.

- Even after coating I always wax them still. Why?

- Wax actually reduces watermarks as compared to coating. Think of this as a layer of oil on top the paint that actually protects the paint better than coating against water mark.

Maintenance:

- I wash weekly

- Rinsed down with pressure washer (using Kranzle 1152 TST)

- Rim cleaned with Bodyguard reactive rim cleaner and Wheel Woolies

- Snow foam with Chemical guys torq foam cannon and Meguairs Hyperwash

- Washed with Adams wool washpad and Meguairs Hyperwash and grit guard inserts.

- Dried with Microfibre drying towel (obsesseddetailing) (note microfibre towel acually help to reduce chance of scratching as it ha pile that traps dirt inside rather than outside. Effortless as i dont need to wring the cloth when i dry. sufficient to dry whole car.)

- If required I used spray wax to maintain the outlook and level of protection usually once in 2 weeks. (Fireball Ultimate Coating Wax or Sonax Brilliant Shine)

If bros need advice on where to get these stuff feel free to PM me. Can also check out videos on youtube that can learn a lot. Ammo NYC and obsessed garage.

My tips to all bro is that do not apply any pressure when washing or drying. Always go in straight lines. And most important things you need would be a hose and trigger spray, wash mitt (no sponge, as they tend to cause more scratch) and a good drying towel..

Note: This is not an advertisement. Im not sponsored or anything, just trying to hep bros with my advice. 

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Edited by Ryanredho

Hi Bro

this post will be for other bros out there as my other account cant post hence created this. This is how my car is dialed in:

Protection:

- Polish (with Rupes LHR21 and Menzerna FG400) when i collected my new car and when it is in immaculate condition, applied Fireball glass coating on roof and bumpers

- Remaining panels was sealed and wax with menzerna power lock or sonax polymer netshield and waxed.

- I wax once a month often changing wax as i have more than 10 types of wax ranging from durable wax, show wax and hybrid wax (contains polymer or SIO2)

- I am looking to wet snad my bonnet and remaining panels to reduce orange peel before coating.

- Wax actually reduces watermarks as compared to coating. Think of this as a layer of oil on top the paint that actually protects the paint better than coating against water mark.

Maintenance:

- I wash weekly

- Dried with Microfibre drying towel (obsesseddetailing) (note microfibre towel acually help to reduce chance of scratching as it ha pile that traps dirt inside rather than outside. Effortless as i dont need to wring the cloth when i dry. sufficient to dry whole car.)

- If required I used spray wax to maintain the outlook and level of protection usually once in 2 weeks. (Fireball Ultimate Coating Wax or Sonax Brilliant Shine)

If bros need advice on where to get these stuff feel free to PM me. Can also check out videos on youtube that can learn a lot. Ammo NYC and obsessed garage.

My tips to all bro is that do not apply any pressure when washing or drying. Always go in straight lines. And most important things you need would be a hose and trigger spray, wash mitt (no sponge, as they tend to cause more scratch) and a good drying towel..

Note: This is not an advertisement. Im not sponsored or anything, just trying to hep bros with my advice. 

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Very detailed stuff.  Though I think you would find a better audience at detailingworld, autopia or autogeek.  Some of the stuff you've mentioned is barely used by your average guy.  You could have mentioned other more resilient waxes for our weather like Collinite or even Autoglym HD wax which last in our weather and give a very nice and deep shine. 

No sealant and wax layering?  Strange that you don't mention that you use an orbital to wax.   [laugh]

Very detailed stuff.  Though I think you would find a better audience at detailingworld, autopia or autogeek.  Some of the stuff you've mentioned is barely used by your average guy.  You could have mentioned other more resilient waxes for our weather like Collinite or even Autoglym HD wax which last in our weather and give a very nice and deep shine. 

No sealant and wax layering?  Strange that you don't mention that you use an orbital to wax.   [laugh]

Hi Bro,

Just want to share how i work around protection haha. What i deemed most important in that post would actually be the maintenance how i wash so that it will be well maintained especially rims often neglected and ends up brake dust etch in. Also mentioned some items i believe are necessary as they will help make washing easier and reduce the chance of scratching. Technique is the key to maintaining the outlook but correct equipment will make it more effective and efficient. 

Yes so the more durable waxes i have are: Soft 99 Fusso, Collinite 845 and Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax. All in the same price range however i like Bilt Hamber best as they really last in our weather and gives a better shine than Fusso IMO. In my experience Autoglym HD wax gives a very good shine however its nor durable at all. More of a show wax IMO. Yes i do layer sealant and wax as mentioned. I use Menzerna power lock and Sonax polymer netshield. And layer with different wax every time. Sometimes i even skip sealant actually since i wax often. Nope i do not use my polisher to wax. as most of them i use is paste wax thats one reason and i always like to use an applicator to apply by hand or sometimes just my hands. Why is because the finish of the car is almost flawless. i wouldn't want to use my polisher to apply the wax least causing scratches if there is any contaminant. Also not all wax are suitable to apply by polisher it depends on what you use.

Edited by Ryanredho

Hi Bro

Protection:

Maintenance:

- I wash weekly

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

how much time do all those steps you mention take?

my wash & sonax brilliant wax already took me almost 2 hours, inclusive of washing rims

my wash & sonax brilliant wax already took me almost 2 hours, inclusive of washing rims

Hi Bro,

Yes regular washing every week take me around 2 hours also. But of course that includes setting up and keeping all the stuff. So i would say 1-1.5 hours! 

• Praise 1

You stay in landed also? This other guy use orbital polishers, foam cannon and pressure washers, very likely he live in landed property.

If I stay in landed property also, I sure have more fun washing my car, especially with a pressure washer!

Hi Bro,

Just want to share how i work around protection haha. What i deemed most important in that post would actually be the maintenance how i wash so that it will be well maintained especially rims often neglected and ends up brake dust etch in. Also mentioned some items i believe are necessary as they will help make washing easier and reduce the chance of scratching. Technique is the key to maintaining the outlook but correct equipment will make it more effective and efficient. 

Yes so the more durable waxes i have are: Soft 99 Fusso, Collinite 845 and Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax. All in the same price range however i like Bilt Hamber best as they really last in our weather and gives a better shine than Fusso IMO. In my experience Autoglym HD wax gives a very good shine however its nor durable at all. More of a show wax IMO. Yes i do layer sealant and wax as mentioned. I use Menzerna power lock and Sonax polymer netshield. And layer with different wax every time. Sometimes i even skip sealant actually since i wax often. Nope i do not use my polisher to wax. as most of them i use is paste wax thats one reason and i always like to use an applicator to apply by hand or sometimes just my hands. Why is because the finish of the car is almost flawless. i wouldn't want to use my polisher to apply the wax least causing scratches if there is any contaminant. Also not all wax are suitable to apply by polisher it depends on what you use.

HI Ryanredho

As you mentioned , you more tham ten types of wax, where does you purchase your product (wax) from?

The most common place i know will be Autobac.

HI Ryanredho

As you mentioned , you more tham ten types of wax, where does you purchase your product (wax) from?

The most common place i know will be Autobac.

Hi Bro,

Actually I have only 1 wax from Autobacs, that is Meguair Ultimate Liquid Wax. The rest are Mostly from UK and some from Korea. Here are the waxes I have.

Durable wax/Synthetic wax

-Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax

-Soft 99 Fusso Dark

-Collinite 845

-Meguairs Ultimate Liquid wax

-Washbone metal Quartz

-Fireball Fusion wax

Show wax:

-Mitchell And King Singapore Custom wax

-Mitchell And King Blanc

-KV Wax Show Wax

-KV Wax Mirror Shine

-KV Wax VooDoo

-ODK St Patrick Day pour

-ODK Glamour

-Wax Planet Oblivion

Wheel Wax:

-KV Wax Wheel wax

That's about it. I'll try to get a picture of them soon! It's a growing collection looking at zymol concours, Dodo juice supernatural hybrid nano wax, Natty Black Paste wax, waxaddict Quartz, custom and vitreo, Swissvax Best of Show and many bespoke waxes as well!

Note: this is not a advert just sharing what I have personally! Thanks for reading!

Edited by Ryanredho

Hi Bro,

Actually I have only 1 wax from Autobacs, that is Meguair Ultimate Liquid Wax. The rest are Mostly from UK and some from Korea. Here are the waxes I have.

-Soft 99 Fusso Dark

-Collinite 845

-Washbone metal Quartz

-Fireball Fusion wax

Show wax:

-Mitchell And King Blanc

-KV Wax Show Wax

-KV Wax Mirror Shine

-KV Wax VooDoo

-ODK St Patrick Day pour

-ODK Glamour

-Wax Planet Oblivion

Wheel Wax:

-KV Wax Wheel wax

That's about it. I'll try to get a picture of them soon! It's a growing collection looking at zymol concours, Dodo juice supernatural hybrid nano wax, Natty Black Paste wax, waxaddict Quartz, custom and vitreo, Swissvax Best of Show and many bespoke waxes as well!

Note: this is not a advert just sharing what I have personally! Thanks for reading!

Hi Bro

You are really a car lover. 

May I know how did you get those wax? ie you order on line? 

Hi Bro

You are really a car lover.

May I know how did you get those wax? ie you order on line?

Hi bro,

Yes most of them can be ordered from website some maybe from eBay. Some of them don't have shipping option to SG so I just emailed them and arrange. The cheapest on are the durable waxes like Collinite and bilt hamber around 30+ the most costly is the Mitchell and King 400+! But depends on what kinda wax you prefer and the ease of use. I can safely say that Mitchell and King is not easy to apply!

• Praise 1

Hi bro,

Yes most of them can be ordered from website some maybe from eBay. Some of them don't have shipping option to SG so I just emailed them and arrange. The cheapest on are the durable waxes like Collinite and bilt hamber around 30+ the most costly is the Mitchell and King 400+! But depends on what kinda wax you prefer and the ease of use. I can safely say that Mitchell and King is not easy to apply!

Hi Bro

Thansk for sharing with me , really feel great and a good learning for me. I didnt know that there so many type of wax in the market.

For me I only use Meguairs or Turtle brand type of wax.

By the way, how do you find SOFT 99 wax?

From the U tube, there is this 99 SOFT FUSSO coat, How do you find this wax?

Impressive. I could manage to wax about once in 3-4 months.

where can I order the collinite and the KV wheel wax

-Soft 99 Fusso Dark
-Collinite 845
-Washbone metal Quartz
-Fireball Fusion wax

Show wax:
-Mitchell And King Blanc
-KV Wax Show Wax
-KV Wax Mirror Shine
-KV Wax VooDoo
-ODK St Patrick Day pour
-ODK Glamour
-Wax Planet Oblivion

Wheel Wax:
-KV Wax Wheel wax

• Praise 1

Hi Bro

Thansk for sharing with me , really feel great and a good learning for me. I didnt know that there so many type of wax in the market.

For me I only use Meguairs or Turtle brand type of wax.

By the way, how do you find SOFT 99 wax?

From the U tube, there is this 99 SOFT FUSSO coat, How do you find this wax?

Hi Bro

No worries glad it helps, PM and ill share with you some other details so wont seemed like im advertising haha. Yes there are many brands available, and actually even more. Can share with you some fb or instagram page that you can see more. Just drop me a PM. 

Soft 99 is real great in terms of hydrophobicity and durability not as glossy(wet look) as the other was so pretty much depends on what you like. But ill say not as oily as Collinite. Personally i would prefer Bilt Hamber. They are all easy to apply. Just note that when applying anything never overuse or will have more problem such as difficulty to remove and hazing. Also note that how durable the wax can be also depends on how well you surface is prepped. 

↡ Advertisement