DIY Waxing

Extremme

Impressive. I could manage to wax about once in 3-4 months.

where can I order the collinite and the KV wheel wax

Actually I have only 1 wax from Autobacs, that is Meguair Ultimate Liquid Wax. The rest are Mostly from UK and some from Korea. Here are the waxes I have.

Durable wax/Synthetic wax

-Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax

-Soft 99 Fusso Dark

-Collinite 845

-Meguairs Ultimate Liquid wax

-Washbone metal Quartz

-Fireball Fusion wax

Show wax:

-Mitchell And King Singapore Custom wax

-Mitchell And King Blanc

-KV Wax Show Wax

-KV Wax Mirror Shine

-KV Wax VooDoo

-ODK St Patrick Day pour

-ODK Glamour

-Wax Planet Oblivion

Wheel Wax:

-KV Wax Wheel wax

That's about it. I'll try to get a picture of them soon! It's a growing collection looking at zymol concours, Dodo juice supernatural hybrid nano wax, Natty Black Paste wax, waxaddict Quartz, custom and vitreo, Swissvax Best of Show and many bespoke waxes as well!

Note: this is not a advert just sharing what I have personally! Thanks for reading!

Hi Bro

Collinite can try ebay, but i got mine from detailers domain with other products shipping usually is a killer try to share with others if possible or get more other products. Can google Collinite 845 pretty easy to find. And i think KV wheel wax is not for sale anymore, there are other brand of wheel wax too such as Swissvax autobhan but surely expensive. Auto finesse makes rim wax as well, Angelwax as well, poorboys world natty wheel sealant too. Can in fact use collinite as well and will be easier to apply. Just use a different applicator. Or finish kare Hi Temp wax not bad too. Sometimes gotta buy and try.

For all bros if interested go to cleanyourride.uk they actually have sample size items so good to try before commiting for a full size. my advise to all. Since i went though many products from shampoo to rim cleaner and even wax and spray wax. Trying out sample size will always be great.  I have settled on the products i use for most of the things but i still continue to order and try. And wax is just something i keep getting. Hope this helps.

Note: Anything stated here is my experience and research. Just advice to bros. None of it is advertisement. Can feel free to PM me for any help. If i can, ill be more than willing to help.

Thank you.

Cheers

↡ Advertisement

Hi Bro,

Actually I have only 1 wax from Autobacs, that is Meguair Ultimate Liquid Wax. The rest are Mostly from UK and some from Korea. Here are the waxes I have.

Note: this is not a advert just sharing what I have personally! Thanks for reading!

I've been using only this for years, meguiars sealent 21 - its the best compromise in my opinion, can remove swirl marks and fine scratches too.

But dont buy when its $42, as periodically can get it around $33 when autobachs have discount (or car show etc)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/meguiars-21-synthetic-sealant-v2-0/prod_206.html

I've been using only this for years, meguiars sealent 21 - its the best compromise in my opinion, can remove swirl marks and fine scratches too.

But dont buy when its $42, as periodically can get it around $33 when autobachs have discount (or car show etc)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/meguiars-21-synthetic-sealant-v2-0/prod_206.html

Hi Bro

Agreed Meguair certainly makes good products. Just some info, these don't actually remove swirls or fine scratches they fill them. After strippng it, the swirls and fine scratches will appear again. I would certainly give this sealant a try soon, in comparison with the Menzerna powerlock and Sonax Polymer netshield.

You stay in landed also? This other guy use orbital polishers, foam cannon and pressure washers, very likely he live in landed property.

If I stay in landed property also, I sure have more fun washing my car, especially with a pressure washer!

Hi Bro,

landed will be ideal for power and water. But space unless its big a bit difficult. And Will be great if its sheltered. Best to avoid washing in the open. I Stay in condo. But tried washing in MSCP cant use pressure washer so use some other things to foam up as well. And ill surely do Two Bucket wash method. MSCP can have the same kinda fun too tried it done it just that a pressure washer is a privilege and rinse will be more effective. 

If washing properly and maintained regularly you will never need to use a polisher often. I would say maybe once a year or even 2 years. Just to refresh the paint a bit with a polishing compound. 

The #21 has been in the market for long time.. i think been 12 years when i m into detailing.. is a pity #16 has discontinue..is another good paste wax.

Hi Bro

Agreed Meguair certainly makes good products. Just some info, these don't actually remove swirls or fine scratches they fill them. After strippng it, the swirls and fine scratches will appear again. I would certainly give this sealant a try soon, in comparison with the Menzerna powerlock and Sonax Polymer netshield.

Ryan.. i was very much into detailing as a hobby like you in my young days..haha sounded old ya. Buying and trying very single sealant n wax recommended in autopia n dw..i agreed that the oil from wax keep away much water marks however our sgp weather is not wax friendly.. a huge down pour will remove any oil from surface.. although the bare metal surface still beads, it forms watermarks if under the sun but for sealant is not as bad.

Because of old backbones n kid..So this days i had a coating as a base, i use an all in one once every 6months to clean the surface and a spray wax every 3 months..i m happy that surface still clear of bird attack n stains..

I know the kind shiokness trying different waxes n sealant n i can spend 8 hours doing my car..i changed completely after visited some factories.. example.. PB from CG? Know what i mean?.. good you gotten the samples to try.

Edited by Maddriver

Ryan.. i was very much into detailing as a hobby like you in my young days..haha sounded old ya. Buying and trying very single sealant n wax recommended in autopia n dw..i agreed that the oil from wax keep away much water marks however our sgp weather is not wax friendly.. a huge down pour will remove any oil from surface.. although the bare metal surface still beads, it forms watermarks if under the sun but for sealant is not as bad.

Because of old backbones n kid..So this days i had a coating as a base, i use an all in one once every 6months to clean the surface and a spray wax every 3 months..i m happy that surface still clear of bird attack n stains..

I know the kind shiokness trying different waxes n sealant n i can spend 8 hours doing my car..i changed completely after visited some factories.. example.. PB from CG? Know what i mean?.. good you gotten the samples to try.

Hi Bro

I disagree that a huge downpour would remove wax from our cars. Yes they are pretty acidic rain, they would not last as long as in overseas, but couple of the wax especially fusso and Bilt hamber shown great durability. A whole week of rain and the wax stood strong no significant fade to my surprise. Mare metal surface wouldnt bead if there wasnt any form of protection i believe. Sealant might help too i great thats why i choose to layer them with sealant and then wax.

Yes gotta agree that i use coating as a base to but i tried coating purely and i had a couple water marks that etched in. Hence i layered wax over it and not having issues from then on.

Yea haha tell me bout it couldnt believe it when i corrected the car and spend 15 hours in the carpark! And the added benefit of wax i believe is a consistent level of protection as i can continue to top up the wax on areas such as behinf the wheels, the front bumper and even bonnet, places where there is high rate or wear. Where as coating i cant simply just apply it again and again hence forming a degrading protection. 

With all that said, i agree its good to have coating as base and maintain regularly with waxes or spray wax.

Btw mind sharing the type of spray wax you use? You mentioned it can go for as long as 3 months each application?

Btw bro you mentioned using AIO to clean the surface every 6 months, I believe its a polish and will probably remove your existing coating if its an abrasive polish. So you recoat again? Im also guessing the spray wax you have is from duragloss?

Hi Bro,

My car went over some road works and I found those black things (tar?) splattered unto the underside of the car below the door panel.  It is not apparent but can feel it.  Any idea how to remove it?

Btw bro you mentioned using AIO to clean the surface every 6 months, I believe its a polish and will probably remove your existing coating if its an abrasive polish. So you recoat again? Im also guessing the spray wax you have is from duragloss?

• Praise 1

Hi Bro,

My car went over some road works and I found those black things (tar?) splattered unto the underside of the car below the door panel.  It is not apparent but can feel it.  Any idea how to remove it?

Hi Bro,

If they are tar, use a clay bar to remove contaminate first, then use tar remover such as tarminator to remove it. There are many brand of tar remover see which is easily accessible for you. That will be how i tackle it. As tar cannot be clayed out, need to use a dedicated remover. But claying will just ensure that other particles are removed too.

Any expert diy waxers here care to share some tips? i dont really want to do any ceramic or glass coat, prefer to go the traditional way of waxing. Any pointers for waxing a brand new car?

Thanks in advanced :)

• Praise 1

Any expert diy waxers here care to share some tips? i dont really want to do any ceramic or glass coat, prefer to go the traditional way of waxing. Any pointers for waxing a brand new car?

Hi Bro,

So as per normal, do a proper wash with you car first. Add some dish soap or if you can some dedicated paint cleaner to remove any wax on the paint. After, Do a decontamination with iron remover if you have and also clay the car. Remember to clay even if it is new, there might be some embedded contaminant. Dry the car completely a apply a thin coat of your choice of wax. Let it dry before buffing off, i depends on the type of wax. If you want to can go with a second coat. I would prefer to use a paint sealant followed by wax. But using a wax like Soft99 Fusso will be fine as well.  Always remember to clay the car before applying and it will be good! Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ryan

• Praise 2

Hi Bro,

So as per normal, do a proper wash with you car first. Add some dish soap or if you can some dedicated paint cleaner to remove any wax on the paint. After, Do a decontamination with iron remover if you have and also clay the car. Remember to clay even if it is new, there might be some embedded contaminant. Dry the car completely a apply a thin coat of your choice of wax. Let it dry before buffing off, i depends on the type of wax. If you want to can go with a second coat. I would prefer to use a paint sealant followed by wax. But using a wax like Soft99 Fusso will be fine as well. Always remember to clay the car before applying and it will be good! Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ryan

For those who do not detail regularly or have sufficient experience, I wouldn't suggest they use dishwashing soap to strip. Similarly for IronX.

Start simple. 

Get a car shampoo that isn't the "wash and wax" type.  Meguair's Gold class can liao.

<depends>

Clay bar, really depends but if you keen can go with it.  Just remember that it needs lubrication or you will be scratching your car.  Two ways to do lubrication, either spray your clay bar with a squirt of quick detailer (QD) or use some soapy water from your car shampoo.  Both ways, squirt a bit of QD or soapy water on a small part of your car and run your clay bar along it.  Remember not to let it dry. If you clay, you'll have to rinse your car again.

<end>

Rinse your car and dry your car thoroughly.

For wax (also depends on the colour of your car, for some colours waxing to make it shine can be more challenging), you have some choices, no need to go buy Swissvax or atas wax.  You have Soft, Autoglym, Colinite etc.   You can also go the sealant route e.g. Duragloss, Zaino, Autoglym's EGP etc.  Sealants are easier to apply then wax. 

Assume you want to use wax, buy a QD (e.g. Autoglym), just squirt a bit to damp either your sponge (can buy the yellow circle sponge at Autobacs, no need to buy Meguairs).  or cloth sponge.  After that, put some of the wax on it and thinly coat your car.  The QD will make the process easier.  Do one section at a time.

Let your wax cure, and in the meantime, you can clean your windows with a glass cleaner. 

How to know whether your wax is cured? Run your finger lightly across the waxed portion, if it glides through easily, its ok.  If there is some resistance, then wait a bit more.  Generally waxes take about 30mins to 1 hour to cure.  Sealants are much faster. 

Buff off the wax with a clean dry cloth.  Remember to occasionally "flap" the cloth to clear off the residue.  Viola done.

Later on, if you want to experiment, there are tones of things you can do. 

Edited by Mason016
  • Praise 2

Assume you want to use wax, buy a QD (e.g. Autoglym), just squirt a bit to damp either your sponge (can buy the yellow circle sponge at Autobacs, no need to buy Meguairs).  or cloth sponge.  After that, put some of the wax on it and thinly coat your car.  The QD will make the process easier.  Do one section at a time.

Let your wax cure, and in the meantime, you can clean your windows with a glass cleaner. 

How to know whether your wax is cured? Run your finger lightly across the waxed portion, if it glides through easily, its ok.  If there is some resistance, then wait a bit more.  Generally waxes take about 30mins to 1 hour to cure.  Sealants are much faster. 

Buff off the wax with a clean dry cloth.  Remember to occasionally "flap" the cloth to clear off the residue.  Viola done.

Later on, if you want to experiment, there are tones of things you can do. 

So by QD u mean something like this?

post-139388-0-59780000-1479710229_thumb.jpg

Do u mean mixing this with the paste wax? 

Hi Bro,

So as per normal, do a proper wash with you car first. Add some dish soap or if you can some dedicated paint cleaner to remove any wax on the paint. After, Do a decontamination with iron remover if you have and also clay the car. Remember to clay even if it is new, there might be some embedded contaminant. Dry the car completely a apply a thin coat of your choice of wax. Let it dry before buffing off, i depends on the type of wax. If you want to can go with a second coat. I would prefer to use a paint sealant followed by wax. But using a wax like Soft99 Fusso will be fine as well.  Always remember to clay the car before applying and it will be good! Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ryan

Ok so let me repeat the steps:

1) wash

2) Clay

3) Paint sealant

4) wax

5) Optional 2nd wax coat

Correct?

Ok so let me repeat the steps:

1) wash

2) Clay

3) Paint sealant

4) wax

5) Optional 2nd wax coat

Correct?

Hi Bro,

Yes that right! There are couple of video out there you can check out as mentioned like ammo nyc and obsessed garage!

Cheers

So by QD u mean something like this?

attachicon.gifautoglym-rapid-detailer.jpg

Do u mean mixing this with the paste wax? 

Yes, Sonax and Meguairs has one as well.  For convenience, I've just named common brands you can get at Autobacs. (There are other bands of course). 

12pcs-lot-Special-vehicle-Polishing-wax-

No, it's not really mix.  Just spray a bit (i.e. very little) of the QD on the yellow sponge above.  Then, open up your wax tin and gently glide the sponge across the wax to pick up a bit of wax.  After that, glide the sponge slowly across say the engine hood.  When it looks like you've run out of wax on the sponge, re-apply the wax on the sponge though you don't have to spray the QD now.  BUT, if it feels like you have to drag the sponge or you feel quite a bit of resistance (comes with experience, I'm afraid), then spray abit of QD on the sponge. 

Now, if you happen to buy Autoglym's HD wax, they will provide you with two red sponges.  They will ask you instead to wet the sponge with water and wring it dry, and then apply the wax onto the sponge.  Follow their instructions if you use their product at least until you are experienced enough.

↡ Advertisement