DIY Waxing

Extremme

About 6 mths into my car, still doing weekly/fortnightly wash with Optimim No Rinse and Meguaors Quik Wax. So far so good. Given the chance would like to compare with someone who did some PPS. Seems just pure looks, only dark colours and especially black cars really pops. I dont think doing a PPS helps much aesthetically for light coloured cars.

What I found needed to be removed each time I wash are water spots maybe because I park in open carpark. I apply wipes with clean parts of cloth in increasing pressure to remove the spots.

For a week of rain, beading is excellent after application of the wax. After a week beading is very much reduced, as in bead size increases some 5 to 10 times with more irregular clusters rather than round beads.

Any tips welcomed.

Time to do a simple clay and AIO..it seems the surface has dirt accumulated which ONR may not clean it further..That is one reason probably why the wax cant cling on..

↡ Advertisement

@ryanredho, re-coat every 6 months or so is not necessary. MD suggested to let it wear by itself since manufacturer claim 5 years from it.

As you say 2 to 3 years I will take it as paying $150 per year for waxing. With all dings and dents appearing, I doubt I will care it after 3rd year.

Wet look or dry look not a matter to me, most importantly maintaining the car now is a breeze . I prefer to spend more time with family.

Edited by Mlee
  • Praise 1

About 6 mths into my car, still doing weekly/fortnightly wash with Optimim No Rinse and Meguaors Quik Wax. So far so good. Given the chance would like to compare with someone who did some PPS. Seems just pure looks, only dark colours and especially black cars really pops. I dont think doing a PPS helps much aesthetically for light coloured cars.

What I found needed to be removed each time I wash are water spots maybe because I park in open carpark. I apply wipes with clean parts of cloth in increasing pressure to remove the spots.

For a week of rain, beading is excellent after application of the wax. After a week beading is very much reduced, as in bead size increases some 5 to 10 times with more irregular clusters rather than round beads.

Any tips welcomed.

Hi Bro,

When you mentioned the beading is reduced, the waxed use i the Meguair Quik Wax? If so its a spray wax so maybe its not as durable. As it is meant to be used frequently, maybe every 2 weeks. Let us know what you were using see how we ca help.

@ryanredho, re-coat every 6 months or so is not necessary. MD suggested to let it wear by itself since manufacturer claim 5 years from it.

As you say 2 to 3 years I will take it as paying $150 per year for waxing. With all dings and dents appearing, I doubt I will care it after 3rd year.

Wet look or dry look not a matter to me, most importantly maintaining the car now is a breeze . I prefer to spend more time with family.

Yeap i agree you don't require to re coat every 6 months. But from what i have studied the hydrophobic effect will fade after some time and products need to be applied over like a reload sealant. Hydrophobic ingredient will wear out. How long it last is most of the time a manufacturer claim, as they based in on the amount of ingredient in their coating. I gathered these information from bosses of a few coating brands. 

But i agree that washing is much easier with hydrophobic properties that last longer than wax can. 

Like i mentioned, the choice of protection is really up to individual preference. But one common misconception of wax is they are nor durable and they are gone in one rain or one wash. This is not true, waxes can last for as long as 6 months or more. Yes our weather may be harsh with acidic rain even. But some wax still holds up well even as good as 3-6 months. Of course there are waxes that last maybe for a month or less, they are usually show waxes  made to look best not durable.

How well a wax last is ultimately dependent on preparation of surface, but same goes for coating, surfaces have to be well prepped. And how well a shine is reflected ultimately depends mostly on the skills of the detailer. How well the paintwork is corrected an jeweled before anything is applied. How long these waxes or coating last ultimately depend on how its being maintain by us owners as well. After correcting a car with immaculate paintwork an improper wash or a trip down to petrol station t defeats all that was don previously.

• Praise 1

How well the paintwork is corrected an jeweled before anything is applied. How long these waxes or coating last ultimately depend on how its being maintain by us owners as well. After correcting a car with immaculate paintwork an improper wash or a trip down to petrol station t defeats all that was don previously.

Totally agree. Whatever coating, PPS, Creamic, etc you've done on the car but without regular care and maintainence also no use :)

anyone organising a DIY washing/waxing session today (3/12)? feel like doing my car with some kakis too.   [:p]

I just done it last Sunday.  May be next Sunday, I always do it on Sunday :)

Edited by AltisOwner

Supercharged

Has there been any DIY W&W session since? :)

no. maybe the people here don't get their hands dirty one.  [laugh]

Supercharged

[grin]   [laugh]  I don't mind :)  if you're up to it, can try to arrange one session.

which day and time (day or night) you prefer?

Supercharged

I don't mind too! If you guy arrange one let me know!

maybe on the thursday 26th Jan (the night before eve of CNY)? if is okay, any suggestion of venue? must have shelter, lights and water. :)

drivers

RougeRumQash

Yeobt

Ryanredho

Edited by Yeobt

maybe on the thursday 26th Jan (the night before eve of CNY)? if is okay, any suggestion of venue? must have shelter, lights and water. :)

drivers

RougeRumQash

Yeobt

Ryanredho

Might be able to! If you guess can find somewhere with power point I can bring my pressure washer down!

For those staying east, theres a good spot at Bedok, a MSCP with hose attached, theres about 5-6 lots facing each other so can do waxing together. Its at  714A Bedok Reservoir Road. Weekend mornings usually occupied. And you know how some people like to take their own sweet time even when theres someone waiting  <_< . So weekday mornings is best, or weekend nights.

Anyone got any other good spots to wash n wax in peace?

For those staying east, theres a good spot at Bedok, a MSCP with hose attached, theres about 5-6 lots facing each other so can do waxing together. Its at  714A Bedok Reservoir Road. Weekend mornings usually occupied. And you know how some people like to take their own sweet time even when theres someone waiting  <_< . So weekday mornings is best, or weekend nights.

Anyone got any other good spots to wash n wax in peace?

Got also won't share here. Right or not? Otherwise it's the same scenario all over again.

↡ Advertisement