Awesome Facts About Coffee

LiuDeHua

Hawaii is the Only U.S. State That Commercially Grows Coffee

Coffee tends to grow better at equatorial climates, so you can't really grow coffee in the contiguous United States. Hawaii, however, has an optimal climate for harvesting java beans.

Hawaii is known for their Kona coffee which is widely exported and popular around the world. As if people in Hawaii didn't have it good enough, they have some of the world's most beautiful beaches and some of the world's best coffee!

6fa328cb5de4494dbda2355910ee1318.600x.jp
Despite what most people think, an espresso has 1/3 the caffeine of a cup of coffee due to serving sizes

Consider throwing a double- or triple-shot into your favorite beverage, because just one might not cut it for the more hardcore caffeine addicts. Or you could make a Red Eye- a shot of espresso inside a cup of coffee, or as we like to call it, beanception.

Some people actually prefer drinking espresso to drip-coffee or French press for that very reason: you can actually control your own caffeine consumption. So if you're reaching for that late night cup of coffee, try an Americana with 1 shot instead of a whole cup of coffee, you'll sleep much sounder.

9479395efd0ef3a3cd5a6d512710b453.600x.jp
Brazil is the world's biggest producer of coffee by a wide margin, followed by Vietnam and Colombia

In fact, in 2011 Brazil produced nearly twice as much as Vietnam and Colombia combined and a third of all of the coffee produced in the entire world. This statistic has remained fairly constant for the last 150 years!

Brazil is also one of the only countries on earth that grows both Arabica and Robusta beans. It should come as no surprise that Brazil is the number one exporter of coffee in the world, and coffee makes up a decent chunk of Brazil's whole economy.

353f1eae2e39dbe5c47597e055adb969.600x.jp
It would take around 100 cups of coffee for a lethal dose of caffeine

Unimaginable. We get the jitters after just two or three cups, so what would cup 90 feel like? Would we be able to fly and fight crime? Probably not, and we definitely don't recommend trying it out!

Most cases of coffee overdose do not come from conventional coffee drinking, but from more, erm, creative ways of consuming coffee, such as coffee enemas. Having that much caffeine in your system could lead to a heart attack or seizure.

7e5eac067eed9cf1b48ece16c0d0fe41.600x.jp
There Are Two Kinds of Beans

The two kinds of beans are Arabica and Robusta. The have different tastes and different caffeine content; Arabica beans are more popular around the world. In fact, 70% of coffee drank on earth is Arabica.

Robusta beans grow in different climates and are found largely in Africa and Indonesia. Although most people prefer the taste of Arabica, Robusta has it's fans, and Robusta beans have twice as much caffeine as Arabica!

b25c182ff510c273d3a322a6a6aad9e0.600x.jp
The drink "Americano" comes from when American GIs in WWII would order their espresso with water because it was too strong

Sort of funny when you think about how tough soldiers are supposed to be: Asking for your hosts to water down their coffee because it's too strong for you definitely isn't the most rugged of requests!

When preparing an Americano, you always pour the hot water on top of the espresso in the glass. If you are instead pouring espresso over hot water you are making a different drink, commonly referred to as a long black.

4a811029fa286cc4fe00177124d16484.600x.jp
New York drinks about 7 times as much coffee as the rest of the world

Well, they DO call it the city that never sleeps....maybe this is why? You know, New Yorkers, we've heard it helps if you don't drink any coffee after sunset. Just a tip.

There's some speculation as to why the Big Apple drinks so much coffee; a lot of it might have to do with population density. Since it is such a packed city, there are literally coffee shops everywhere. It also doesn't hurt that coffee is such a large part of the American culture.

e5e2eb350d2960bbc7f5bbb040c31970.600x.jp

Coffee is a Major Commodity

In fact, coffee is the #2 most traded commodity on earth, coming only second to oil! On the NYBOT stock exchange coffee futures are one of the most popular commodities.

Coffee consumption is actually great for the developing world, because 90% of coffee farming happens in developing countries, while most coffee is consumed in the developed world. The coffee trade funnels money from richer countries to poor countries.

fe07c2c63ce3a4e538af033247e6c946.600x.jp
The two most popular beverages on Earth, in order, are water and coffee.

Really not that surprising when you think about it. After all, it's hard for everyone to wake up all across the world, isn't it? Coffee has become, in the modern day, a staple of countless cultures worldwide for a variety of reasons.

Coffee is also a large part of the world's economy for this reason. This would be alarming if coffee was as bad for you as we used to think, but research now shows that coffee is a healthy habit that people around the world should happily indulge in on a daily basis.

ed627d80520408a859c1d2163121eafc.600x.jp

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

Hence, even at 10 cups of coffee

based on 1 teaspoon of NesCafe Deluxe per cup, I am safe + i am helping these developing nations.

10 cups also only 10% of the lethal dose. Chiong ah...

"Coffee consumption is actually great for the developing world, because 90% of coffee farming happens in developing countries, while most coffee is consumed in the developed world. The coffee trade funnels money from richer countries to poor countries"

Really???

"Coffee consumption is actually great for the developing world, because 90% of coffee farming happens in developing countries, while most coffee is consumed in the developed world. The coffee trade funnels money from richer countries to poor countries"

Really???

yes in indonesia people rarely drink coffee. mostly developed nation is :D

I was wondering about that question, now I know. Then I prefer robusta.

Robusta is cheaper than Arabica.

If not, how they sell 90 cents for a cup of coffee?

yes in indonesia people rarely drink coffee. mostly developed nation is :D

I know coffee is grown in developing countries and sold to developed countries.

What I meant is: is it really that beneficial to developing countries? Does the revenue generated go to the landowner and govt taxes?

How does it improve the living standards of the one toiling on the coffee plantation?

If they exported slaves, money also flows from developed countries to developing countries.

Coffee grown only in developed countries would mean $25 starbucks kopi.

The kopi plantation may be owned partially by the MNC and the workers paid a pittance.

Arabica is more fragrant, less acidic and thus more expensive. High end coffee are generally Arabica

Robusta is less fragrant, more acidic and caffeine.

For some products out there, is actual a blend of both.

kopitiam coffee, also add corn and sugar cane and other stuff... so 90cents la

What I meant is: is it really that beneficial to developing countries? Does the revenue generated go to the landowner and govt taxes?

How does it improve the living standards of the one toiling on the coffee plantation?

If they exported slaves, money also flows from developed countries to developing countries.

The kopi plantation may be owned partially by the MNC and the workers paid a pittance.

i understand the plantations are usually own by small time farmer in countries that produce coffee, what the big mnc does is they 'bao' the whole plantation for few years at an agreed price, hence this will secure their source hence these farmer benefit from the secure income. In order to secure more source, they some time have to explore into various countries and work with the farmer to provide some sort of financial aid for machinery etc to help them harvest and process faster.

I doubt these mnc can buy the plantation due to some restriction in those countries.

Edited by Jman888

and the profits are parked in special offshore companies based in tax-havens.

some of the money do end up 'invested' in bt timah and tanglin rd bungalows.

I think nth much but if we dont buy they will lost their job

↡ Advertisement