Food px increase? Most Singaporeans say they can absorb it

Scion

Turbocharged

Food price increase? Most Singaporeans say they can absorb it

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/food-price-increase-most-singaporeans-say-they-can-absorb-it-20131008

Consumers in Singapore are relatively unfazed by the thought of food prices heading north, with 69 per cent indicating there is enough flexibility in their household budget to absorb a rise in food prices.

They also do not think that they would make significant sacrifices to their spending in other areas if food prices do rise, according to a report released on Tuesday by research firm Nielsen.

A similar sentiment was seen in other countries in Southeast Asia including Thailand (78%), Indonesia (70%), Vietnam (70%), Malaysia (66%) and the Philippines (58%).

The survey, which polled more than 29,000 internet respondents in 58 countries also found that while many Singaporeans were unlikely to make significant spending cuts to cope with rising food prices, many indicated that they would look to dine out less, buy fewer clothes and accessories, and eat less snack foods should the need arise.

do you believe in this report or that poll done by Nielsen?

(anyway 69% is hardly equivalent to "most") [shakehead]

↡ Advertisement

If I cannot absorb what the f**k are they gonna do about it?

They simply remove your survey from the list, tata... Most can absorb... Hehehe...

• Praise 6

absorb it lah

not because my household budget has sufficient flexibility

but it's the fat on my body that has the buffer

:D

Want to work for Nielsen must have an engineering degree. Reverse engineer.

I tend to agree with the article to some extend.

My fav minced meat noodles cost $4. If they raise the price to $4.50, it wont affect me much. I will still continue to buy without hesistation

My usual kopi-C just increase price. From $1.10 to $1.20....neglible difference.

If the noodles end up $12 or my kopi-C end up as $3, then i will feel the hikes. Otherwise no big deal la

Edited by comegetme

Turbocharged

Why don't they ask all the kopitiam bosses to come out for interview? Then take pictures of their brand new cars while they lament abt riding rentals, rising utilities, rising raw materials, not enuff workers, etc.

but 69% = 2/3 majority liao woh [sly] ....

I must be a non-Singaporean then.

I share ur sentiments.

the survey must be done in mcf, just the car installment alone can easily be over $1000 a month, petrol + parking $300.

Any increase of course can absorb lah, just dun drive, everyday eat abalone also can afford.

• Praise 1