• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

Keithchue
  • Premium member
    Keithchue
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi Guys,

I have a VW with a clicking noise, like a spring being pulled while the steering wheel is being turned.  been into VW for the 6th time and was told that this is normal. they have relubed, replace the spring and the noise is still back after 1-2 weeks

is this normal? or what could be wrong?

every day wont be the same after you make a wrong decision.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

GLZT
  • Premium member
    GLZT
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Does it sound normal to you? They can only say its common. Not normal.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

Kangadrool
  • Premium member
    Kangadrool
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Clockspring aka rotary switch kaput liao.

Request for replacement if still under warranty, else wait until airbag sign comes up.

Edited by Kangadrool, 11 February 2014 - 04:06 PM.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

iohu8567
  • iohu8567
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

I got the same issue here. It's like one end of a spring scratching a piece of plastic while turning the spring kinda sound. Started to appear about 2 weeks ago and it's kinda getting worse. Not sure what's the problem need to service or not. Driving a Toyota Vios 1st gen.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

Laserjet
  • Laserjet
    Administrator

You can go to Dynamics Mechanic for help.

Can post your problem in their thread too for professional view.

http://www.mycarforu...chanic-pte-ltd/

Refer to signature guidelines
Works in progress...

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Hi Guys,

I have a VW with a clicking noise, like a spring being pulled while the steering wheel is being turned.  been into VW for the 6th time and was told that this is normal. they have relubed, replace the spring and the noise is still back after 1-2 weeks

My car although not vw but had this sound before. Did a steering fluid flush and it was gone.

Check your steering fluid. It should be red in colour, if turned black it's time for a change.

The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

Crashburner
  • Premium member
    Crashburner
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Did you feel as though you losing control of the steering wheel when going over a hump and even if stationery, when u do a slight turn left or right of the steering, u hear the sound?  If yes, better get a 2nd opinion to check.  I recently encountered it and after checking with 2 mechanics, i was informed that the bar holding the wheel axis had broken or to that extend.  Had to replace it.  But my car was 8 years old already

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Keithchue
  • Premium member
    Keithchue
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Does it sound normal to you? They can only say its common. Not normal.

nope, cos when I collect the car, it is not there....

only surface about 9 months of ownership.

Clockspring aka rotary switch kaput liao.

Request for replacement if still under warranty, else wait until airbag sign comes up.

I or they have change the clock spring 5 times liao...is clock spring called a slip ring as well?

this time round, tell me the slip ring is generating the noise and it is normal....

kaoz...what can I do.  car still under warranty....

Did you feel as though you losing control of the steering wheel when going over a hump and even if stationery, when u do a slight turn left or right of the steering, u hear the sound?  If yes, better get a 2nd opinion to check.  I recently encountered it and after checking with 2 mechanics, i was informed that the bar holding the wheel axis had broken or to that extend.  Had to replace it.  But my car was 8 years old already

nope.  car is in control all the time.

My car although not vw but had this sound before. Did a steering fluid flush and it was gone.

Check your steering fluid. It should be red in colour, if turned black it's time for a change.

don't think it is hydraulic PS. mine is electric PS.

hmm...don't know what is wrong??

Edited by Keithchue, 12 February 2014 - 05:27 PM.

every day wont be the same after you make a wrong decision.

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:16 AM

Slayer666
  • Slayer666
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Hi Guys,

Hey keithchue,

This is an old thread, I'm just curious if u ever managed to get the clicking noise resolved? I have the same intermittent clicks when turning at slow speeds. Noise coming from steering column below dashboard. VW as well.

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:37 AM

Keen
  • Premium member
    Keen
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Hi Crashburner,

Just to check. Do you have any idea what's the parts that you change? Because I got exactly the same issue and so far 3-4 workshop can't diagnose it

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Quick Reply

Tags: volkswagen, clicking, noise and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users