Clicking noise on Steering column

Keithchue

Hi Guys,

I have a VW with a clicking noise, like a spring being pulled while the steering wheel is being turned. been into VW for the 6th time and was told that this is normal. they have relubed, replace the spring and the noise is still back after 1-2 weeks

is this normal? or what could be wrong?

↡ Advertisement

Clockspring aka rotary switch kaput liao.

Request for replacement if still under warranty, else wait until airbag sign comes up.

Edited by Kangadrool

I got the same issue here. It's like one end of a spring scratching a piece of plastic while turning the spring kinda sound. Started to appear about 2 weeks ago and it's kinda getting worse. Not sure what's the problem need to service or not. Driving a Toyota Vios 1st gen.

Hi Guys,

I have a VW with a clicking noise, like a spring being pulled while the steering wheel is being turned. been into VW for the 6th time and was told that this is normal. they have relubed, replace the spring and the noise is still back after 1-2 weeks

My car although not vw but had this sound before. Did a steering fluid flush and it was gone.

Check your steering fluid. It should be red in colour, if turned black it's time for a change.

Did you feel as though you losing control of the steering wheel when going over a hump and even if stationery, when u do a slight turn left or right of the steering, u hear the sound? If yes, better get a 2nd opinion to check. I recently encountered it and after checking with 2 mechanics, i was informed that the bar holding the wheel axis had broken or to that extend. Had to replace it. But my car was 8 years old already

Does it sound normal to you? They can only say its common. Not normal.

nope, cos when I collect the car, it is not there....

only surface about 9 months of ownership.

Clockspring aka rotary switch kaput liao.

Request for replacement if still under warranty, else wait until airbag sign comes up.

I or they have change the clock spring 5 times liao...is clock spring called a slip ring as well?

this time round, tell me the slip ring is generating the noise and it is normal....

kaoz...what can I do. car still under warranty....

Did you feel as though you losing control of the steering wheel when going over a hump and even if stationery, when u do a slight turn left or right of the steering, u hear the sound? If yes, better get a 2nd opinion to check. I recently encountered it and after checking with 2 mechanics, i was informed that the bar holding the wheel axis had broken or to that extend. Had to replace it. But my car was 8 years old already

nope. car is in control all the time.

My car although not vw but had this sound before. Did a steering fluid flush and it was gone.

Check your steering fluid. It should be red in colour, if turned black it's time for a change.

don't think it is hydraulic PS. mine is electric PS.

hmm...don't know what is wrong??

Edited by Keithchue

Neutral Newbie

Hi Guys,

I have a VW with a clicking noise, like a spring being pulled while the steering wheel is being turned.  been into VW for the 6th time and was told that this is normal. they have relubed, replace the spring and the noise is still back after 1-2 weeks

Hey keithchue,

This is an old thread, I'm just curious if u ever managed to get the clicking noise resolved? I have the same intermittent clicks when turning at slow speeds. Noise coming from steering column below dashboard. VW as well.

Did you feel as though you losing control of the steering wheel when going over a hump and even if stationery, when u do a slight turn left or right of the steering, u hear the sound?  If yes, better get a 2nd opinion to check.  I recently encountered it and after checking with 2 mechanics, i was informed that the bar holding the wheel axis had broken or to that extend.  Had to replace it.  But my car was 8 years old already

Hi Crashburner,

Just to check. Do you have any idea what's the parts that you change? Because I got exactly the same issue and so far 3-4 workshop can't diagnose it

Hi Crashburner,

Just to check. Do you have any idea what's the parts that you change? Because I got exactly the same issue and so far 3-4 workshop can't diagnose it

Hello Keen,

Is Yours a VW too? A golf MK 7? Did you manage to get the issue resolved? Dealer changed clock spring, steering wheel, airbag, steering column. After 2 months, the noise came back again. 

VW says it is a normal operational noise to a certain tolerance. But its too irritating. And my tolerance is low.

lol

Please share your thoughts. 

Much appreciated.

Feels like getting rid of the car for a KIA. 

So disappointed in the so-called German engineering.

↡ Advertisement