Handed a CASE letter to VW today! Blog updates.

Keithchue

My wife bought a new C-Merc in 2011for $153K (only $4K more than your Jetta) ... No problems to-date, engine, GB, steering, electronics all AOK.

3 years of trouble-free motoring, normal servicing only and peace of mind.

Just $4K more for a German-made C, vs a Mexican-made Jetta ... For me at least, it was a no brainer.

Why even welcome a non-resolvable DSG to be part of your life?

Even if you had not wanted to go back to a Civic, cars like the Ford Focus, or the Mazda 3 would have proven to be more reliable and they both tend to handle very well too (built on the same platform)

Feel sorry for TS, but lesson learnt, and am sure VW's repute is one of the many things spoken abt now. Yet to resolve the issue.

Say what you want, The C would still have been the better bet. Less value, but overall less trouble too.

↡ Advertisement

didnt you consider a manual?

manual alot less issues

Unlike the UK ADs, the Singapore VW AD just refuses to bring in manual trannies.

It's the CMI DSG, or nothing at all.

Stubborn p1gs denying consumers of an option, but yet willing to service (note: NOT resolve) endlessly DSG problems over and over again ...

Watch "IAA 2011 Hyundai new generation i30 and Martin Winterkorn (Chairman of the Volkswagen AG)" on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpPNVSQmR5c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I don't know if the problem u encountered is the same as shown in the video when the Chairman of VW mentioned that how the Koreans do it w/o any sound coming from the steering wheel. If it is the same, then it is a known problem in VW.

I think the main issue here is about the customer service quality. How they would handle the matter. Looking at the comprains they are simply overwhelmed by the fault that the cars have. The local AD is not prepared for it.

Remember the ang moh who bashed his BMW outside the Geneva car show event as a protest? I'm not suggesting anything but he got the attention he wanted from the media.

My wife bought a new C-Merc in 2011for $153K (only $4K more than your Jetta) ... No problems to-date, engine, GB, steering, electronics all AOK.

3 years of trouble-free motoring, normal servicing only and peace of mind.

Just $4K more for a German-made C, vs a Mexican-made Jetta ... For me at least, it was a no brainer.

Why even welcome a non-resolvable DSG to be part of your life?

Even if you had not wanted to go back to a Civic, cars like the Ford Focus, or the Mazda 3 would have proven to be more reliable and they both tend to handle very well too (built on the same platform)

I did not look at mazda as mazda was in the process of folding up. Wearnes have not taken over the brand yet.

I should have got the C class.. then again, brand conscious....people have been jealous of the "conti' branding of VW. Merc, even worse.

FORD - don't really like the brand..

I think the main issue here is about the customer service quality. How they would handle the matter. Looking at the comprains they are simply overwhelmed by the fault that the cars have. The local AD is not prepared for it.

Remember the ang moh who bashed his BMW outside the Geneva car show event as a protest? I'm not suggesting anything but he got the attention he wanted from the media.

likely mine will be the same.. bashing the car...

:)

Supercharged

I should have got the C class.. then again, brand conscious....people have been jealous of the "conti' branding of VW. Merc, even worse.

yes, must be sensitive to others' feelings, so buy this:

chery-qq-shanghai-2013-01.jpg

they sure damn happy, and no more red-eye [laugh]

Watch "IAA 2011 Hyundai new generation i30 and Martin Winterkorn (Chairman of the Volkswagen AG)" on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpPNVSQmR5c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I don't know if the problem u encountered is the same as shown in the video when the Chairman of VW mentioned that how the Koreans do it w/o any sound coming from the steering wheel. If it is the same, then it is a known problem in VW.

no it is not the release for the tilt and rake adjustment, it is the wheel itself. there is a mechanism that rotates together with the wheel to guide all the wiring for the wheel controls along. the actual unit was taken from stock and showed to be. inside the mechanism.

a middle hole for the steering shaft to come thru. holding the steering shaft is a series of planetary gears made of PU or rubber material. no metal on the mechanism. the sound is like a old door knob being turned. creaking and pulling of a spring.

well, companies have people that does have a slight imbalance to finer things in life..

C-class would be a good deal, at least does not have the DSG GB.

would be interesting to know how our very worrisome company reacts. in any case, CASE would be in the know.

TS why you buy car to please others!!!

there are those people red-eyed, that see you driving a more expensive car.

my Jetta is already causing some red eye people..to have views alr

this sound like a very unhealthy local culture. just curious, do you work in a local company? or company with mostly singaporeans? i'm asking because i work in an american company that has a mix of local and foreigners. it is very common to see subordinates driving expensive cars and their directors with half a million annual salary taking taxis or public transport without any unhealthy tension at all.

i think westerners have a very different value system to cars as compared to locals. and being red-eye about others driving a more expensive car just shows how small-minded these people are. i feel that not being able to celebrate and appreciate other's success will also limit one's own heart and success in some ways.

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged

so many pieces of bad news regarding the vw dsg. given that audi and skoda use the same gb, i wonder why i am not reading similar from audi and skoda owners? or maybe i am in the wrong forum?

so many pieces of bad news regarding the vw dsg. given that audi and skoda use the same gb, i wonder why i am not reading similar from audi and skoda owners? or maybe i am in the wrong forum?

talk about the shipment all fully booked for the A3....win liao [cool]

Unlike the UK ADs, the Singapore VW AD just refuses to bring in manual trannies.

It's the CMI DSG, or nothing at all.

Stubborn p1gs denying consumers of an option, but yet willing to service (note: NOT resolve) endlessly DSG problems over and over again ...

i thought theres a manual option?

just must wait nia

this sound like a very unhealthy local culture. just curious, do you work in a local company? or company with mostly singaporeans? i'm asking because i work in an american company that has a mix of local and foreigners. it is very common to see subordinates driving expensive cars and their directors with half a million annual salary taking taxis or public transport without any unhealthy tension at all.

i think westerners have a very different value system to cars as compared to locals. and being red-eye about others driving a more expensive car just shows how small-minded these people are. i feel that not being able to celebrate and appreciate other's success will also limit one's own heart and success in some ways.

I'm in an small MNC about 2B in sales in SG, VPsales is from india, studied in states, lived in Singapore for past 20 over years, driving an altis. other VPs or directors are driving Jap 1.6l. none driving continental cars..

my direct manager is sitting at Netherlands. with a doted line to US. basically no boss in Sg.

agree that the culture is different..but still there are local eyes...

not heard about audi though, but VAGSG skoda chat room also have the MU failure and could not secure parts for the replacement.

then again, skoda is in trouble.. don't know how the owners are going to claim warranty

talk about the shipment all fully booked for the A3....win liao [cool]

LTA win. Huat!!!!

I'm in an small MNC about 2B in sales in SG, VPsales is from india, studied in states, lived in Singapore for past 20 over years, driving an altis. other VPs or directors are driving Jap 1.6l. none driving continental cars..

my direct manager is sitting at Netherlands. with a doted line to US. basically no boss in Sg.

not heard about audi though, but VAGSG skoda chat room also have the MU failure and could not secure parts for the replacement.

then again, skoda is in trouble.. don't know how the owners are going to claim warranty

My classmate is drawing 26k pay cheque per month. Driving a Japanese car and living in Seltar estate. He sent his 2 boys to State for further study.

That is not a fair statement, then again, r u a Singaporean?

If you are, bashing ur own fellow Singaporeans does not make u any better.

I have worked in both culture before, the reason why the angmohs are either driving small cars or taking train is because of 1) They are used to taking the tube if from UK or other parts of Europe 2) for Americans and Aussies, cars are VERY cheap so they do not see why they shld pay 4-8 times the price of what they would normally pay 3) They cycle.

Whether this people are small-minded at Keith's workplace, I do not know. But fundamentally, there are a$$holes everywhere, by putting the blame and issue on Singaporeans is akin to say all angmohs r ba$tards which by itself is not a fair statement too.

LTA win. Huat!!!!

My classmate is drawing 26k pay cheque per month. Driving a Japanese car and living in Seltar estate. He sent his 2 boys to State for further study.

Some people love cars, others love houses and some other loves pure money. The difference you may ask?

love cars will always wanna drive a nice/powerful/stylish/etc car

love houses will always wanna stay in big/beautiful/well sited/etc condos/houses

love money will always keep all money in bank and Bus Mrt Walk and stay in a rental HDB

but I envy ur classmate :)

• Praise 4

I appreciate what you are talking about as I am in a similar position. My coy is also a small MNC and we have 8 people in the company and 2 ang mo. I am driving the C180 and no one in my company knows that I own a Merc. It is nothing about affordability but I just wanted to avoid any unnecessary gossips or let the company/management have the impression that they are paying me too well.

There is no doubt that it is my money and I decide on how I want to spend my money but I just did not the unwanted attention.

For that amount of money that you have paid for the Jetta, the C180 is definitely a better choice for the extra $$$. My C180 is out of warranty now but it has never given me any problem ... except for the routine servicing and replacement for wear and tear parts.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1