All new 2014 Elantra

Quantum

Actually it matters, a typical car drives around 20000km a year, a car with 12km/l as compared to 17km/l, th t I'd close to $1000 difference in petrol expenditure a year. Over 10 years, it's close to $10,000.

Thats also gonna be one of my top priority when choosing a car.. i clock like 35,000 km a year becauSe of work and family. So even 1km\L makes alot of difference. I actually did consider diesel cars like Renault fluence diesel or Clio Diesel but the price tag thats 10-15k more plus road tax turned me off.

Example:

Elantra - 12km|L

Honda Fit - 17⁄L

35,000km per year

Elantra (35,000 \12) = 2916 Litres of petrol a yr

Fit (35,000 \ 17) = 2058 Litres of petrol a yr

Difference = 858 Litres ($1716 if petrol is priced at $2 per litre)

10 years = $17,160

Plus Fit and Jazz is cheaper. Seriously thinking twice now....

Edited by Kazuya
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Thats also gonna be one of my top priority when choosing a car.. i clock like 35,000 km a year becauSe of work and family. So even 1km\L makes alot of difference. I actually did consider diesel cars like Renault fluence diesel or Clio Diesel but the price tag thats 10-15k more plus road tax turned me off.

with such high milleage, the last model you should get is any car with dry dual clutch gearbox..

i guess you should consider mz3 which come with 6AT gb and very good FC... [:p]

This is the official figures from LTA singapore.. For Elantra

Fuel Economy Urban 9.40 (L/100km)   Extra Urban 5.40 (L/100km)   Combined 6.80 (L/100km)

So if you are primarily city driving with start stop traffic, dun expect good fc... 

Example:

Elantra - 12km|L
Honda Fit - 17⁄L

35,000km per year

Elantra (35,000 \12) = 2916 Litres of petrol a yr

Fit (35,000 \ 17) = 2058 Litres of petrol a yr

Difference = 858 Litres ($1716 if petrol is priced at $2 per litre)

10 years = $17,160

Plus Fit and Jazz is cheaper. Seriously thinking twice now....

From LTA figures for Honda Jazz 1.3

Fuel Economy Urban 6.00 (L/100km)   Extra Urban 4.50 (L/100km)   Combined 5.10 (L/100km) Edited by Ivan_06

Actually it matters, a typical car drives around 20000km a year, a car with 12km/l as compared to 17km/l, th t I'd close to $1000 difference in petrol expenditure a year. Over 10 years, it's close to $10,000.

It really depends on your mileage and the difference in FC. If comparing between cars that are around 11-13km/L, over 10 years not much difference in petrol costs. Of course I am talking about real world FC, not paper figures.

It really depends on your mileage and the difference in FC. If comparing between cars that are around 11-13km/L, over 10 years not much difference in petrol costs. Of course I am talking about real world FC, not paper figures.

But a Honda jazz real world fc is really around 17-18km/l as compared to Elantra 11-12km/l.

But a Honda jazz real world fc is really around 17-18km/l as compared to Elantra 11-12km/l.

Yes but then they are 2 different classes of car, hatchback vs sedan. What if compared to Accent 5DR?

Mazda 3 ~ 5.7L / 100 Km

Elantra and Forte K3 ~ 6.8L / 100Km

If I clock 35,000 km per year and taking petrol to be at $2 per litre.

Mazda 3 ~ 1995L of petrol a year ($3990 in petrol cost)

Elantra ~ 2380L of petrol a year ($4760 in petroo cost)

Assuming i'll drive the same car for 10 years, $39,900 for mazda 3 and $47,600 for Elantra / K3.

keep looking at car prices, im doing the same for diesel cars too, but diesel cars have extra tax.

If you just want a point A to B car then a Renault Clio diesel might be the most worthwhile followed closely by Honda Jazz/Fit and surprisingly a Renault Fluence Diesel. That's assuming like me, you drive a lot.

Edited by Kazuya

Mazda 3 ~ 5.7L / 100 Km

Assuming i'll drive the same car for 10 years, $39,900 for mazda 3 and $47,600 for Elantra / K3.

keep looking at car prices, im doing the same for diesel cars too, but diesel cars have extra tax.

If you just want a point A to B car then a Renault Clio diesel might be the most worthwhile followed closely by Honda Jazz/Fit and surprisingly a Renault Fluence Diesel. That's assuming like me, you drive a lot.

You have to consider if you don't mind the clattering diesel engine sound, like a taxi.

This is the official figures from LTA singapore.. For Elantra

Fuel Economy Urban 9.40 (L/100km)   Extra Urban 5.40 (L/100km)   Combined 6.80 (L/100km)

So if you are primarily city driving with start stop traffic, dun expect good fc... 

From LTA figures for Honda Jazz 1.3

Fuel Economy Urban 6.00 (L/100km)   Extra Urban 4.50 (L/100km)   Combined 5.10 (L/100km)

can you enlighten me on where to get the LTA figures for cars? Good for research purposes.

Sorry, found on my own. MODs can delete this if necessary.

Edited by Zeally

Mazda 3 ~ 5.7L / 100 Km

you guys do a lot of driving...

Actually I'm considering a few cars, Coe dependent. The truth is my Laopokcar only nov den scrap. But I'm gonna sign in March. I'm considering the Mazda 3 2.0, new Elantra, Mazda 6 luxury (if we want more space for a family car), a180 (love at first sight and heck all others lol).

Front runners are mz3 and Elantra. The outgoing Elantra is good and also within consideration. But somehow I have this niggling feeing whenever I'm reminded of poorer fc compared with others, it'll be eliminated out of my mind. The truth is Elantra is extremely well built, I've test it and it's quiet though not engaging at all. Rear aircon n spacious enough compared with e rest.

The only prob is whenever I think of the negative points, it'll drop down e pecking order just because it's a Hyundai. But if say Mazda is noisy, I try to tell myself ok it's not too big an issue. Somehow the badge still matters, to me at least, which I feel most of you could have this niggling feeing.

This feeling is possibly mitigated with the drop in price last couple of weeks. Now it's 5k more and perhaps will remain till beginning of feb to fulfill new quota.

Hope the new Elantra comes soon, tiagong will launch when current stock is gone.

There's always a chance. Both were sold at 129k in recent times, if get showroom units maybe 120k and if you're trading in your old car it may just be adequate. Don't dislike my post for poison.

I'm looking forward to new Elantra :)

At $129,000 for the Audi A3 & A180, which is a class down in terms of size, I think it might be better to upsize to a Mondeo at $135,000.

I clock only 12,000 - 13,000 km a year... so I guess I don't have to be too fixated about fuel economy... I'm really thinking about the Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima, Mazda 6 and the stretch target is the Ford Mondeo.

And then if the price does not move down further, then it will be a fight between the Hyundai Elantra, Kia Optima, Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla. Pricing all about the same for this few cars.

I clock only 12,000 - 13,000 km a year... so I guess I don't have to be too fixated about fuel economy... I'm really thinking about the Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima, Mazda 6 and the stretch target is the Ford Mondeo.

And then if the price does not move down further, then it will be a fight between the Hyundai Elantra, Kia Optima, Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla. Pricing all about the same for this few cars.

From those listed, my heart will say take kia optima if fc is not a concern... But I clock 27-29k a year unfortunately and have to take fc into serious consideration...., so if to go by the head, I will take mz3 from those listed purely base on fc and 6at gb...

↡ Advertisement