How much (in % ) are you willing to spend on your children?

ShepherdPie

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/parents-want-more-help-offset-pre-school-education-costs#inside

Β 

Β 

The Sng family is paying S$160 a month for their four-year-old son to attend a PAP Community Foundation kindergarten and their two-year-old son will be starting nursery soon. With a combined monthly income of S$5,000, the middle-income family could stand to benefit from subsidies under the enhanced Kindergarten Fee Assistance Scheme (KiFAS).

Β 

As they will be moving into their new four-room flat in Sengkang next month, Mrs Chelsa Sng is thankful for the Service and Conservancy Charges (S&CC) rebates and GST Vouchers.

β€œIt’ll definitely be a good help for us because electricity consumption is higher when you have children ... We can also use the freed-up cash to pay for their milk powder and diapers,” said the 29-year-old mother.

Pre-school education, Mrs Sng said, is very expensive in general, and the authorities should consider subsidising the cost of pre-school materials as well. These days, the family has to fork out S$210 every quarter to pay for their son’s school materials.

Β 

how much are you willing to spend on your children ?

Β 

the family is earning a decent $5k per mth.. $160 .. most likely paid by CDA( which gov contribute 50%). On top of there, they gotten $4k baby bonus for each kid.

Β 

Seriously, I wonder where the 5k mthly go to? And do they expect the state to pay for everything ?

Just think that the y-generation are becoming handout generation. Having children is never easy and there is a lot sacrifice to make made..

Β 

Sometimes.. I wonder are we really subsidies their children education or the parents life-style.. Serious, to spend $$150 per mth from a $5k salary is pretty affordable to me. My kids' school fee used to take up a qtr of our mthly income.

Β 

** mthly school fee : $160/2 ( half by CDA ) = $80, Material fee: $(210/3) = $70.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by ShepherdPie
↑ Advertisement

$5k for a family today borders on the low income category. Definitely no middle income as reported. Who are they kidding?

Β 

For most people, Car instalments alone can feed three kids already.

• Praise 3

$5k for a family today borders on the low income category. Definitely no middle income as reported. Who are they kidding?

Β 

For most people, Car instalments alone can feed three kids already.

Β 

agree, $5k is not even close to middle income.

Β 

soon when the kid start to go primary school, they probably need to spend $1K on the child.

• Praise 1

Β 

soon when the kid start to go primary school, they probably need to spend $1K on the child.

The problem is low and middle income are spending like they are high income. And high income spends like they are the Kardashians. :D

• Praise 2

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/parents-want-more-help-offset-pre-school-education-costs#inside

Β 

Β 

Β 

the family is earning a decent $5k per mth.. $160 .. most likely paid by CDA( which gov contribute 50%). On top of there, they gotten $4k baby bonus for each kid.

Β 

Seriously, I wonder where the 5k mthly go to? And do they expect the state to pay for everything ?

Just think that the y-generation are becoming handout generation. Having children is never easy and there is a lot sacrifice to make made..

Β 

Sometimes.. I wonder are we really subsidies their children education or the parents life-style.. Serious, to spend $$150 per mth from a $5k salary is pretty affordable to me. My kids' school fee used to take up a qtr of our mthly income.

Β 

** mthly school fee : $160/2 ( half by CDA ) = $80, Material fee: $(210/3) = $70.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Whoa, did they pay the flat in cash also? LoL...

Β 

5K not much in this case if you are looking at today's flat prices. The stamp fee & legal fee are not like yesterday or during your time.

Β 

Affordable to you? But how we know about their financial status compared to you? How to compare actually?

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

T2 bro was already earning 5k in his early 20s, that was in 80s, nowadays 5k suan shen me?

Β 

I doubt he ever saw $5k from his first pay check [laugh][laugh]

$5k is the new poor ... singapore style

old already retire in JB ... not iskandar hor ... ulu and further abit

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

Your kid's school fee takes a quarter? You expect the family of 5K income to pay $1250 (one quarter) a month for one kids school fee? Not all sent their kids to Julia Gabriel.

• Praise 1

The problem is low and middle income are spending like they are high income. And high income spends like they are the Kardashians. :D

Β 

we invest in the future! [laugh]

Β 

but sometime wrong investment and cost more [:(]

should allow people to tap on CPF for childcare and pre-school

then maintain MSR & TDSR ... the people would not have cheong to buy $1M HDB at Bishan and $500k BTO !

9/10 newly wed cheong to the roof and expense off all their CPF for housing thinking that can see cannot touch ...

die die much buy the most expensive unit ... chasing resale and BTO price to the roof

Edited by Wt_know

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

5K can be gone in a flash, even with responsible spending.

Β 

We don't know the financial commitments this family may have. For examples, allowances to the couple's parents/in-laws and medical expenses for immediate family members or ageing parents can wipe out a big portion of their monthly disposal income.

Β 

Every family has a different story to live out.

• Praise 2

T2 bro was already earning 5k in his early 20s, that was in 80s, nowadays 5k suan shen me?

I am not so old.

I doubt he ever saw $5k from his first pay check [laugh][laugh]

Correct.

Β 

Until today see see below $5k but life is like that, just continue walking.

They may have other commitments which was not mentioned in the article. I don't think it is right for us to comment if spending $160 for a $5K income is right proportion.

Likewise, I don't think spending 25% of income on children school fee is the right thing to do. Who can say a child attending school with $1000 fee will have better future than a one from a $160 fee?

• Praise 1

with the current parents willing to spend a fortune on their child, plus $500 subsidies for working mum (according to latest budget), more private childcare, pre-school, enrichment programs, (even McD happy meal), etc. going to huat big time liao :D

Edited by Jman888

They may have other commitments which was not mentioned in the article. I don't think it is right for us to comment if spending $160 for a $5K income is right proportion.

Likewise, I don't think spending 25% of income on children school fee is the right thing to do. Who can say a child attending school with $1000 fee will have better future than a one from a $160 fee?

Β 

com'on.. if you think 5k cannot afford $160, then its time for this family to do something abt their job..

Β 

in any case, Julia Gabriel ' childcare is called chiltern house.. and def more than 1.6k per mth.. excluding the expensive concert etc.

Β 

in any case, my point is .. there is bound to adjustment to spending in any household when there is children. They should not be expecting handouts..

Edited by ShepherdPie

Β 

com'on.. if you think 5k cannot afford $160, then its time for this family to do something abt their job..

Β 

in any case, Julia Gabriel ' childcare is called chiltern house.. and def more than 1.6k per mth.. excluding the expensive concert etc.

Β 

in any case, my point is .. there is bound to adjustment to spending in any household when there is children. They should not be expecting handouts..

Β 

What's wrong with receiving subsidies from gov for children school fee? If they qualify for it, I have nothing to say. What point are you driving at? You expect everyone like you to spend a big portion of income on school fee?

Β 

Β 

bro, how is it 1k per month per child? Even foreigners pay only 500$ per month...

Β 

I think 5k is a decent salary, what with the many sops that the govt. extends in terms of baby bonus, housing. Housing is by far the biggest expense a young couple will have to undertake in their lifetime and its decently subsidised.

Β 

Sometimes you have to chose your priorities and for a parent, a child is the biggest. Even if I can afford it, I still won't put my child in UWC or other Int'l schools cos I think something of being a local gets lost there. Whats lacking in our local schools?

↑ Advertisement