Be thankful for our govt's prudent water policies

Lala81

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/malaysian-states-face/1011176.html

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia is on the verge of a major water crisis.

The government said if the on-going hot and dry spell continues, as many as two million residents in the Klang Valley may experience a disruption of its clean water supply.

Taps have already run dry in some areas, and states like Johor have begun water rationing.

Selangor, the most populated state, is set to begin water rationing on Tuesday.

Like thousands of others in the suburb of Balakong, 60-year-old Mek Som and her nine-year-old grand-daughter have been fetching water daily from water tankers, after weeks of no rain led to a water shortage.

Elsewhere, portable tanks have been installed to help those who missed the water delivery.

It's been almost three weeks since their taps at home ran dry, and residents are getting frustrated, having to rely on static tanks for their water supply.

In a bid to resolve the water woes, the Selangor state government is implementing water rationing, limiting the water cuts to every two days. But the relief is only temporary.

The government has warned that water levels at major rivers and dams will reach critical levels across several states, if the current hot and dry spell continues.

Malaysia's Prime Minister Najib Razak said his cabinet will decide on Wednesday if there's a need to declare a state of emergency in the badly-affected areas.

His government is also contemplating large-scale cloud-seeding to cool temperatures.

Mr Najib said: "We are planning cloud-seeding but to do so, we need to have a conducive weather condition where there is a presence of rain clouds, we are ready."

The Royal Malaysian Air Force has been on stand-by to artificially induce rain when conditions are conducive.

Meanwhile, firefighters are working round the clock to control the number of hotspots in the country. More than 6,000 open fires are blazing across the nation - 14 times more than in the same period last year.

And as the acrid smoke from bush and peat fires fills the air, the public is now concerned about the return of the haze that choked the nation last year.

- CNA/de

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Yar, please save water, try not to wash car in JB for the time being, help them save some water as well.

It's really shit when you don't have clean running water out of your taps.....

Last weekend, saw one new JB plate Vios washing car in Caltex Jurong West. [laugh]

Yar, please save water, try not to wash car in JB for the time being, help them save some water as well.

It's really shit when you don't have clean running water out of your taps.....

hope they don't cut the supply to us.

I guess they might if they have enough reason but of course after some agreement with SG for this period of time...

It's damn bad in MY right now...

We are not exactly self-sufficient yet as far as water supply is concerned.

Our four taps of water supply from M'sia, reservoir storage, NEWater and desalination are our means and hiccups in any of these may have detrimental effects in the short run.

So people do try not waste water.

Very sim tia everytime see folks hosing their rides like no tomorrow [shakehead][shakehead]

• Praise 3

I remember back then, Mahadir laughed at our NeWater projects ....

Now at least they need 8 years to overcome the shortage if they start NeWater now.... [:(]

As the saying goes : "Who Has The Last Laugh" ............ [laugh][laugh][laugh]

That old farker is useless lah......... and still want to talk big even until today........

We are not exactly self-sufficient yet as far as water supply is concerned.

Our four taps of water supply from M'sia, reservoir storage, NEWater and desalination are our means and hiccups in any of these may have detrimental effects in the short run.

So people do try not waste water.

Very sim tia everytime see folks hosing their rides like no tomorrow [shakehead][shakehead]

concur this.

Please do not wash cars at this moment. Car no wash, won't die. No water from your tap, YOU will die...........

• Praise 5

ok no car wash for next 3 weeks until rain come [laugh]

my cars have not been washed since year start..

i'm contribute the most to save the water [grin]

lucky, its matt in color, so from far, you won't see any flaw..

once near, you be greeted by a thick coat of dust, bird shit etc..

my cars are super duper dirty :D

Remember in the early 90s, during dry spells they will actually announce the water level in the reservoir on a daily basis during news time?

Remember in the early 90s, during dry spells they will actually announce the water level in the reservoir on a daily basis during news time?

That time, they 'hung' you so that you save water... [sweatdrop]

Now they had converted waste water to drinking water which contribute 55% into the reserviors, still better then nothing .... -_-

I guess many people don't remember the days when we get blackouts, water shortages. Or they think that all this stable electrical supply, water supply comes from thin air.

I guess many people don't remember the days when we get blackouts, water shortages. Or they think that all this stable electrical supply, water supply comes from thin air.

When things come in abundance, everyone will take for granted it's always there.... This is a wake up call for everyone.... Save before it's too late.