ST Forum: Get speed limits right

Vulcann

From ST Forum:

Get speed limits right

Published on Feb 28, 2014

I HOPE the Land Transport Authority will consider reviewing the speed limits on our roads, such that they truly reflect actual travelling speeds.

On several roads, the speed limits may be set too low, resulting in motorists being fined for driving at speeds that are probably safe.

For example, Lentor Avenue has a speed limit of 70kmh. Driving along this stretch at this speed during non-peak hours, I was overtaken by every vehicle on the road, including a bus.

My understanding of the speed limit is that it represents the maximum speed at which a vehicle may travel safely along a certain road. However, this does not seem to be the case on our roads.

Along certain long stretches without traffic lights, such as Thomson Road and Lornie Road, vehicles are cruising at average speeds of about 10kmh to 20kmh above the limit.

While speeding kills, there is a difference between driving at more than 100kmh and at 80kmh.

Along certain roads, motorists need to peer constantly at their speedometers to keep within the speed limits, for fear of being caught by a speed camera or speed trap set up by the Traffic Police.

A recent road trip in Tasmania made me realise how the speed limits there accurately reflect travelling speeds.

At hairpin bends, the limits drop to as low as 30kmh to 40kmh. Along straight stretches outside the town area, the limits increase to reasonable levels like 80kmh.

I learnt to respect the limits, especially the lower ones as they meant the road ahead was hazardous.

It is time to get our limits right.

Wee Wei Loong

(source: http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story/get-speed-limits-right-20140228 )

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I read this article differently. It seems that he implies vehicles are non chalantly exceeding speed limit and more should be done to either enforce or to raise the limit.

Good luck and I'm sure we will see more white ants soon

• Praise 5

But for most roads, they close 1 eye for tier 1 excess. Unlikely, it would be changed. The current is such that everyone is "speeding" & its at their discretion whether to catch. imo, they want this discretionary power.

• Praise 1

Don't need to appeal lah, it will never happen, if LTA increase speed and accident happen, all fingers and toes will point at them, why will they want that to happen.

And if a slow poke drive/ride too slow, the difference in speed is too great, their live will be endanger as well.

Great idea, to increase the limit at Lentor. Can expect higher ins premiums lol

Lentor sometimes got car or lorry in the centre divider drain.

Doesn't matter what the speed limit is, the kookoos will always find the drain.

If TP really want all vehicles to adhere to a certain speed limit, they will put a speed camera there. If not, it's a matter of "you can speed as long as you don't get caught" scenario.

From ST Forum:

Get speed limits right

Published on Feb 28, 2014

I HOPE the Land Transport Authority will consider reviewing the speed limits on our roads, such that they truly reflect actual travelling speeds.

On several roads, the speed limits may be set too low, resulting in motorists being fined for driving at speeds that are probably safe.

For example, Lentor Avenue has a speed limit of 70kmh. Driving along this stretch at this speed during non-peak hours, I was overtaken by every vehicle on the road, including a bus.

My understanding of the speed limit is that it represents the maximum speed at which a vehicle may travel safely along a certain road. However, this does not seem to be the case on our roads.

Along certain long stretches without traffic lights, such as Thomson Road and Lornie Road, vehicles are cruising at average speeds of about 10kmh to 20kmh above the limit.

While speeding kills, there is a difference between driving at more than 100kmh and at 80kmh.

Along certain roads, motorists need to peer constantly at their speedometers to keep within the speed limits, for fear of being caught by a speed camera or speed trap set up by the Traffic Police.

A recent road trip in Tasmania made me realise how the speed limits there accurately reflect travelling speeds.

At hairpin bends, the limits drop to as low as 30kmh to 40kmh. Along straight stretches outside the town area, the limits increase to reasonable levels like 80kmh.

I learnt to respect the limits, especially the lower ones as they meant the road ahead was hazardous.

It is time to get our limits right.

Wee Wei Loong

(source: http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story/get-speed-limits-right-20140228 )

Hi,

This may sound radical - regulations need to be flexible. At current congestion level, speed limits should be removed or use for reference only. e.g. 90kmh for 1st car, 2nd car 80kmh, and its cumulative, cars behind get slower and slower and congestion….

• Praise 2

Seriously, who in Singapore will keep to speed limits at every road? [drivingcar]

Seriously? There are too many!

They not only keep to speed limit, they keep to the right lanes too... [laugh]

• Praise 4

Hi,

This may sound radical - regulations need to be flexible. At current congestion level, speed limits should be removed or use for reference only. e.g. 90kmh for 1st car, 2nd car 80kmh, and its cumulative, cars behind get slower and slower and congestion….

LTA can't put "average speed limit" on signboards.

TP just use the number printed to do their jobs.

To bring in more bonkings, they just need to find those roads with ridiculous low number and hide there.

LTA can't put "average speed limit" on signboards.

TP just use the number printed to do their jobs.

To bring in more bonkings, they just need to find those roads with ridiculous low number and hide there.

BONKINGS or BOOKINGS.... :o[blush]

I think 70km/hr for long stretch of traffic light free road is just about right. Anything more will only encourage vehicle to drive at a faster speed since drivers always have this +10km/hr is ok mindset.

I ever drive at 80km/hr along Lentor with a TP bike behind. I do think that TP needs to exercise discretion. I guess he didn't book me because it was peak hour, lane 3 - bus lane, lane 2 taken up by heavy trucks (there's a lot of hdb project in yishun), leaving lane 1 for faster vehicle.

I can understand the 60km/hr if it is to prevent racer wannabe from speeding along that stretch during wee hours. But to setup speed trap during the day when the traffic flow is less heavy is just being anal when vehicles are traveling at just a slightly faster speed of about 10-20km/hr more.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2