ST Forum: Get speed limits right

Vulcann

I kinda agree. A lot of roads have speed limits that are too rigid and too slow.

Take the Lornie Road connecting towards Thomson Road for example. This is a three-lane flyover bypass that is almost expressway standard, and yet the limit is only 70km/h. And before you say 'everyone goes 80-90 there anyway', this is a notorious white ant hotspot, so if you 'accidentally' open up a little, you kena already. I think this is horribly unrealistic limit, because most people can easily travel on this road at 80-90 with no issues. All they're doing is making people stare at the speedo to avoid getting caught, and then slowing down and causing congestion.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged
(edited)

I kinda agree. A lot of roads have speed limits that are too rigid and too slow.

Take the Lornie Road connecting towards Thomson Road for example. This is a three-lane flyover bypass that is almost expressway standard, and yet the limit is only 70km/h. And before you say 'everyone goes 80-90 there anyway', this is a notorious white ant hotspot, so if you 'accidentally' open up a little, you kena already. I think this is horribly unrealistic limit, because most people can easily travel on this road at 80-90 with no issues. All they're doing is making people stare at the speedo to avoid getting caught, and then slowing down and causing congestion.

Lornie Rd:

I was about to suggest 80kmh speed limit for it and reduce it to 70kmh during peak hours when traffic is really heavy.

But then I realise when the traffic is heavy, cars will naturally slow down anyway.

Conclusion:- 80kmh!!

Lornie road got private residence. They may have complained to LTA about speeding motorists and all. Some kenna accident right outside their house.

Maybe also have stray monkeys pop out from Macritchie reservoir, trying to cross the road, so better to stick to the speed limit of 70kph along that stretch of road!

This may sound complicated but how about 60kmh limit only for the left most lane where the residents use to get out of their house? they are not supposed to cut into other lanes immediately after driving out of their gate anyway.

Most of the vehicles using the left-most lane are lorries etc which have speed limit of 60kmh anyway, so there will be "no loss" to the general traffic flow of the road.

Edited by Super7
  • Praise 1

Go to any expressway anytime except peak hour.

I think 99% of all vehicles on the 1st lane, will get a speeding ticket.

What prevented them from getting one is because there is no overhead bridge and no hogger there. [laugh]

Most accident happened during peak hours and the speed is possibly 1/3 the speed limit

Plenty of fatal accidents happen at those ungodly hours.

We are not asking for speed limit to be increase across all roads.

We agree that

- roads that have blind spot should not have too high speed limit.

- roads near schools should stick to 40km/hr

- minor roads speed limit in housing estates should be maintained.

However, all major trunk roads should have a constant speed limit, when there are certain stretch with tighter bend, provide a advisory speed limit. The speed limit still remains at 110km/h.

rochrf-00014133-00_1753553c.jpg

With the advisory speed limit,

those hogger will not have an excuse that they can stay at lane 1 as long as they are within the legal speed.

They should stay at lane 2 if they want to stick to lower speed.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

If I'm not wrong, the result shows otherwise... Last year, there are more summon for speeding but also reduce in death from accident.. What it means? It simply mean road death are not cause by speeding purely... And speeding doesn't kill, speed with reckless driving and poor judgement kills...

Fully agree that speed itself doesn't kill but reckless driving and/or "unsuitable" vehicles do.

Reckless driving:-

Increase the penalty / ban terms to "frighten" reckless drivers into not to drive as if they own the roads and/or their cars are undestructable, or everyone has nine lives. How effective this can be, of course, is still a matter for debate.

"Unsuitable" vehicles:-

Poor maintenance of brakes etc, or even the use of bread n butter brakes to do F1-style hard / late brakings. Again, no point having good braking skills + good brakes when the driver/car behind have the opposite.

Tyres, suspension setup, etc all help to make the car capable of higher speed yet behaves stably / safely when called upon to deal with 'critical' moments.

Edited by Super7

I highly suspect the speed limit in KPE is to have positive ROI for the installation of the speed camera, thus still stick to 70km/h to confuse drivers whilst the other stretches is at 80km/hr.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

tier 1 excess means excess 1 to 10kmh?

I received a warning letter before for driving 78kmh along Lornie

iirc, tier 1 is 1-20. Tier 2 is 21-30, Tier 3 31-40.

Years ago, at thomson road....towards Chong Pang, limit 70,

I did 93, got clocked & pulled aside. 6 pts, orgong 140.

wah, Lornie 78 (<10 excess) also got letter? I thought this only applied (unofficially) to KPE/MCE ?

Is there some unspoken speeding clampdown in sg or what?!

(edited)

its an open secret...

SG speed limit is too kiasee... but no one really bothers and can easily +20km/h

in AU n NZ, +5km/hr is a biggie, especially on winding roads like great ocean road or mountain passes... I followed the speed limit and road signs v seriously

Edited by Vidz
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

No point changing speed limit... Singapore Road is too short and too many traffic lights, so what you can travel at 70km/h, by the next 100m you would have to stop because of traffic lights or pedestrian crossing etc. Worse in expressway, the next exit is just say 1km away.

How much time can we saved? tok abt jams - Jams are not caused by kiasee drivers but kuku drivers, kiasee drivers would have stayed in third lane but kuku drivers die die travel 1st lane at 90km/h... so you tink changing speed limit will change? It is already in the highway codes, right lane is for overtaking but kuku drivers still drive right lane at speed limit? if speed limit is 90km/h, overtaking will be already more than that so in practice we are allowed to exceed speed limit but not for a very long distance.

By "right", right lane should be the fastest lane but end up always the slowest lane even in traffic congestion.

• Praise 4

Supercharged

I always see congestion due to the poor design and planning of road more frequently than the speed limit in place..

Although I do agree that at certain area the speed limit is pretty ridiculous at certain timing.. but to counter that, the best way is to have a electronic sign board that shows the updated speed limit at different timing.. like in some countries..

however, we know that in Singapore, you tell Santa your wish, end up always devil drop down the chimney...

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
(edited)

no speed limit is best limit

No news is good news,

No dress is the best dress!!

Edited by Super7

May be traffic police should issue new license to speed for the drivers who are accident free and free of traffic offence for 5 years. [sly]

• Praise 2

Is there official reply yet?

Or it's just too insignificant for a reply?

the reply will be they are constantly reviewing it and after reviewing it, they deem that the speed limits are in line with international standards..............

• Praise 3

the reply will be they are constantly reviewing it and after reviewing it, they deem that the speed limits are in line with international standards..............

Improvement liao.

Last time it is go fly kite and sorry no way.

Nowadays at least they entertain you by saying they "do seriously consider but after review/checking with experts/comparing with other countries, their system still the best and so status quo lo but thank you for your suggestion".

Finally, LTA's predictable response:

Speed limits set to ensure safety of all road users
Published on Mar 08, 2014

WE THANK Mr Wee Wei Loong for his feedback ("Get speed limits right"; Feb 28).

In setting the speed limits of any road, we consider the safety of all road users. The speed limit must also cater to all types of vehicles and drivers of all proficiency levels.

We will look at the characteristics of the road, such as its width, or whether there are bends that may affect motorists' judgment to stop safely, especially during an emergency.

We also look at the profile of road users and land use along any particular stretch of road. For example, roads that pass through residential estates or front commercial developments and schools will usually require a lower speed limit as more pedestrians are expected to use these roads.

In the case of Lentor Avenue, we have set the speed limit at 70kmh, which is already higher than the limits at most arterial roads. This speed limit takes into consideration segments of the road with bends that limit the line of sight for motorists, as well as pedestrian activities along parts of the road.

For their safety as well as that of other road users, motorists should observe the speed limits of the roads they are travelling on.

Helen Lim (Ms)

Director, Media Relations

Land Transport Authority

(source: http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/saturday/premium/forum-letters/story/speed-limits-set-ensure-safety-all-road-users-20140308 )

↡ Advertisement