ST Forum: Get speed limits right

Vulcann

(edited)

I would trust road engineers more than these forum whiners.

I have actually met and spoken to one before after I complained to LTA about some poor Junction designs. When asked about his training, I was astonished to hear that he had only OJT,but no formal qualifications nor formal training! I am thus not surprised with many illogical and poor junctions, slip roads, lanes that merges only to open out to 2 lanes again after 10 metres (eg PIE towards city just before Toh Tuck exit

That's was several years ago, I wonder if it is still the case now.

Edited by Volvobrick
↡ Advertisement

he was asking on higher speed for non express way.

Trunk roads just maintain 70 will be fine and major roads should maintain at 60.

I take risks by driving faster in a 3 lane road, must-have heightened awareness for jaywalker and cyclist.

So always drive at centre lane, still have sufficient time to spot them from either way.

Maybe certain Viaducts can go from 70 to 80km/h, but housing estates should just maintain at 60km/h even if it's 3 lanes.

I have actually met and spoken to one before after I complained to LTA about some poor Junction designs. When asked about his training, I was astonished to hear that he had only OJT,but no formal qualifications nor formal training! I am thus not surprised with many illogical and poor junctions, slip roads, lanes that merges only to open out to 2 lanes again after 10 metres (eg PIE towards city just before Toh Tuck exit

That's was several years ago, I wonder if it is still the case now.

Not only the design, many roads now have uneven surfaces, potholes and bumpy/shoddy repair after utilities company laid their services lines. LTA just allowed them to pave lousy standards and not resurface the whole lane.

Twincharged

Not only the design, many roads now have uneven surfaces, potholes and bumpy/shoddy repair after utilities company laid their services lines. LTA just allowed them to pave lousy standards and not resurface the whole lane.

It's not in their KPI to give you good roads. Their KPI is to maximize earnings. ERP COE roadtax are their income. Everything else is an expense. So to make more reduce expense lor.
  • Praise 2

(edited)

I kind of get what he's getting at (although he never elaborate much). Places like West Coast Highway, a 70 limit when there's no traffic at all seems ridiculous. That place is as good as expressway.

Besides, is there really very much difference between 70 and 80km/h? If TP don't have camera I bet they cannot even tell the difference when you go past.

Edited by Benarsenal

Supercharged

Must be following rooles of MRT.

I know what he's driving lah. A Nissan GTR. LoL...

Today he will say speed limit slow. If in future speed limit changed higher he will also comprain slow. No end to it.

Up speed limit at the same time up demerit points and fine amounts/jail time. Be careful what you wish for.

It's not in their KPI to give you good roads. Their KPI is to maximize earnings. ERP COE roadtax are their income. Everything else is an expense. So to make more reduce expense lor.

Their KPI is build roads.

Not build good roads.

Supercharged

there is precedent, roads in schools zones:

The speed of all motor vehicles travelling along any road in a school zone shall not exceed the speed of 40 kilometres per hour —

(a) on any day —

(i) between 6.30 a.m. and 7.45 a.m. (both times inclusive);

(ii) between 12 noon and 2.30 p.m. (both times inclusive); and

(iii) between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. (both times inclusive); or

• Praise 2

Just get rid of the road hoggers (kantong their licences the best) and forget about raising speed limit and traffic conditions will improve. Too many idiotic drivers on outer right lanes traveling at or slightly below speed limit these days, it is an epidemic.

• Praise 3

Must be following rooles of MRT.

Which one?

The crush load? ie: Roads can take more traffics

Or the cable tie? Use the cheapest material & method.

Or delay/slow train... better than no trains

Or

All of the above

Just get rid of the road hoggers (kantong their licences the best) and forget about raising speed limit and traffic conditions will improve. Too many idiotic drivers on outer right lanes traveling at or slightly below speed limit these days, it is an epidemic.

Some driver also funny.

Just now I was at Lane 1 moderate traffic, along a train of cars with 3-4 cars spacing ahead of me.

One driver at lane 2, behind another far ahead at lane 2 which was abreast with 5-6 cars ahead of lane one.

Decided to squeeze in front of my car. Then brake to slow down.

WTF?

He must felt scared seeing the car so far ahead.

Leaving lane 2 all clear.

So I undertake 6 cars lor.

Nobody just wants to drive at lane 2.

The irony was

My speed was just slightly below 100km/hr during undertaking at lane 2 at a 90km/h expressway.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Their KPI is build roads.

Not build good roads.

Haha. That's what you think. It's $$$$.

(edited)

Ok, LTA build road to make money.

Like the KPE tunnel to Nicoll, should have done it during the planning phase, put many driver off,

Now at least smoother and faster into CBD.

More beeps in the same period now.

Edited by Atonchia

If their intention is to collect $$$, then current conditions is perfect actually.

Slow enough that they can justify collecting ERP, but not gridlock like other countries such that it hampers productivity.

Win-win. So of course they won't do anything. Some congestion is good for them (to collect money).

If their intention is to collect $$$, then current conditions is perfect actually.

Slow enough that they can justify collecting ERP, but not gridlock like other countries such that it hampers productivity.

Win-win. So of course they won't do anything. Some congestion is good for them (to collect money).

Every working day,

I pay $6 in the morning, $4 in the evening daily.....But still stuck in slow slow traffic.

Morning if no accident, is bearable, evening traffic is still worse than that of morning.

When is NSE going to be ready?

Every working day,

I pay $6 in the morning, $4 in the evening daily.....But still stuck in slow slow traffic.

Morning if no accident, is bearable, evening traffic is still worse than that of morning.

When is NSE going to be ready?

Errrr....every dollar increase for erp charges will increase road speed by 7% so are Singaporeans prepared to pay more?

Not I say hor, jing hu say one:

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/when-erp-rates-rise-traffic-speed-goes-up-too-says-josephine-teo

<_< 

Supersonic

She talk nonsense.

Speed is about every vehicle moving at a relatively smooth fashion, as fast as possible.

The ones causing congestions or slow down should be fined instead:

1. Road hoggers that caused slow down

2. Trucks that stopped on the roads to water plant, dig holes or rest there

3. Accident vehicles that caused massive congestion.

↡ Advertisement