Russia Invade Ukraine

Thaiyotakamli

Turbocharged

the news is affecting Asian markets now

most down 1-3%, including STI, Nikkei, HSI

↡ Advertisement

Ukraine has accused Russia of carrying out an armed invasion by sending naval forces to occupy Sevastopol airport in the Crimea region.

Russia's Black Sea Fleet denies its servicemen are blocking the airport.

Another Crimean airport, Simferopol, has also been occupied by armed men, thought to be pro-Russia militia.

Relations between the two countries have been strained since Viktor Yanukovych was ousted as Ukrainian president last week.

Continue reading the main story At the Scene
_59189169_59189166.jpgChristian FraserBBC News, near Sevastopol airport

Sevastopol is by name an international airport, but civilian flights stopped some years ago, and it is owned by the Ukrainian Ministry of Defence.

So it would be of no real consequence that soldiers are guarding a military base were it not for the fact no-one knows whose orders they are obeying.

There are roadblocks springing up from here to the administrative capital Simferopol.

The local parliament is in session there, but is sharing the municipal building with a paramilitary unit, and Simferopol airport is also under protection.

The interim interior minister, however, is quite clear on his Facebook page who he thinks these units are.

They are answering to the Russian Federation he said - and this, he adds, is a military takeover.

Mr Yanukovych is now in Russia and expected to hold a news conference later in the city of Rostov-on-Don, near the Ukrainian border.

He disappeared after leaving office but resurfaced in Russia on Thursday, asserting that he is still Ukraine's lawful president.

Ukraine's general prosecutor has said he will ask Russia to extradite Mr Yanukovych, if it is confirmed that he is still there.

In other developments:

• The BBC has seen eight trucks with the black plates of the Russian army moving towards Simferopol
  • Unconfirmed reports say eight Russian military helicopters have arrived in Sevastopol
  • Ukraine's central bank has put a 15,000 hryvnia (1,000 euro; £820) limit on daily cash withdrawals
  • Armed Forces chief Yuriy Ilyin, appointed earlier this month by Mr Yanukovych, is sacked
  • Ukraine's parliament calls on the UN Security Council to discuss the unfolding crisis in Crimea

Lynchpin of struggle

These tensions between Russia and Ukraine in the wake of Mr Yanukovych's departure have been particularly evident in Crimea, Ukraine's only Russian-majority region.

The BBC's Bridget Kendall, in Moscow, says the Crimea is becoming the lynchpin of a struggle between Ukraine's new leaders and those loyal to Russia.

Ukrainian Interior Minister Arsen Avakov said Russian soldiers had arrived in Sevastopol military airport near Russia's Black Sea Fleet Base on Friday morning.

The men were patrolling outside, backed up by armoured vehicles, but Ukrainian military and border guards remained inside, Mr Avakov said.

"I consider what has happened to be an armed invasion and occupation in violation of all international agreements and norms," Mr Avakov said on his Facebook page.

Armed men also arrived at Simferopol airport overnight, some carrying Russian flags.

A man called Vladimir told Reuters news agency he was a volunteer helping the group there, though he said he did not know where they came from.

Continue reading the main story Crimea's airports
  • Simferopol is the main international terminal, serving the regional capital
  • Sevastopol, home to Russia's Black Sea Fleet, has a Soviet-era military airport (Belbek) which was also used for civilian flights until some years ago. Ukrainian air force jets are stationed there
  • The Russian Black Sea Fleet has aircraft stationed at other air bases in Crimea (Gvardeyskaya and Kacha)

"I'm with the People's Militia of Crimea. We're simple people, volunteers," he said.

Andriy Parubiy, acting chairman of Ukraine's National Security Council, has claimed that both airports are now back under the control of Ukrainian authorities.

The airport occupation is latest in a series of moves to raise fears of unrest in Crimea, which traditionally leans towards Russia.

On Thursday, a group of unidentified armed men entered Crimea's parliament building by force, and hoisted a Russian flag on the roof.

The Crimean parliament later announced it would hold a referendum on expanding the region's autonomy from Ukraine on 25 May.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has urged his government to maintain relations with Kiev, but he is also giving the Crimean government humanitarian aid.

US Secretary of State John Kerry has called on all sides to "step back and avoid any kind of provocations".

Financial strain

On top of its political problems, Ukraine also faces huge financial hurdles.

It says it needs $35 billion over the next two years to avoid default on its loans.

Russia has suspended the next instalment of a $15bn loan because of the political uncertainty.

Switzerland and Austria announced on Friday that it had launched an investigation against Mr Yanukovych and his son Aleksander for "aggravated money laundering".

Austria also said it had frozen the assets of 18 Ukrainians suspected of violating human rights and involvement in corruption. It did not give any names.

Crimea - where ethnic Russians are in a majority - was transferred from Russia to Ukraine in 1954.

Ethnic Ukrainians loyal to Kiev and Muslim Tatars - whose animosity towards Russia stretches back to Stalin's deportations during World War Two - have formed an alliance to oppose any move back towards Moscow.

Russia, along with the US, UK and France, pledged to uphold the territorial integrity of Ukraine in a memorandum signed in 1994.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26379722

Seems to me there are more and more countries getting into conflicts including sinkieland with indon....not to mention many civil wars that is still happening in many countries too...is this a sign

of a World WAR? ...I shudder to think but then is this also the work of God to "semulah" the overly

rotting earth in many aspect of human being Big ego, Jealousy, Fame,$$..and so on.

So be it god ...damn it.

Turbocharged

Putin has a upper hand against the "interim govt" and his allies.

Whoever want to support the interim govt better standby a lot of money as Ukraine needs $35bn which either US or EU has.

Putin can also cut his natural gas supply to Ukraine.

now the Polar Bear has waken. [sweatdrop]

Soviet fought with UK, France and Turkey (Ottoman) in Crimea in the 1800's and lost... but this time all those 3 are having their own economic problems and there is nothing in Ukraine that US needs/wants.

So good luck to the Ukrainians as they will be left to their own device in their coming war with Russia. It will be a walkover.

Sovwith UK, France and Turkey (Ottoman) in Crimea in the 1800's and lost... but this time all those 3 are having their own economic problems and there is nothing in Ukraine that US needs/wants.

So good luck to the Ukrainians as they will be left to their own device in their coming war with Russia. It will be a walkover.

Back then UK, France and Turkey was a strong mighty empire but now Russia has the upper hand.

In addition Usa and europe in financial difficulty. I can say situation is not optimistic for ukraine

(edited)

I think not war yet. but very tense and might just break out.

Pls pass contacts for ukraine char bors hor.

Edited by Mockngbrd

us and nato wont get involve other then threatening sanctions.

ukraine have no interest to US at all, the only reason it oppose to russia is cos it does not want to be ukraine become an ally of russia,

the EU have their hand full helping their own country out of fianciance problem greece italy. if they add ukraine in, how are they going to aid ukraine?

I think not war yet. but very tense and might just break out.

Pls pass contacts for ukraine char bors hor.

You all toooooo slow liao...

Months ago I is oredy "one dragon multiple phoenix" with Ukrainian cha bors [gorgeous][nosebleed]

• Praise 1

You all toooooo slow liao...

Months ago I is oredy "one dragon multiple phoenix" with Ukrainian cha bors [gorgeous][nosebleed]

pls share contact , i help up your points .

pls share contact , i help up your points .

I was in Taiwan months back and was enjoying myself [thumbsup][gorgeous]

Lots of Ukrainain cha bors influx into Taiwan. Just like many years back where russian ladies start "invading" asian countries.

They are just like Russians [nod] Slim and tall. Headlights very power :wub:

Turbocharged

My collegues whom went to east europe before mentioned urkaine woman are the mother of all chio bu.

The most beautiful jap or korean girls dont even come close compare to them. [gorgeous][inlove]

I can testify to that. Been to Eastern Europe quite a few times before.

I know some bros here only go for oriental gals. That's becos most ang moh gals here are from the west. Once you seen those from East europe and you will realised what you been missing.

I was in Taiwan months back and was enjoying myself [thumbsup][gorgeous]

Lots of Ukrainain cha bors influx into Taiwan. Just like many years back where russian ladies start "invading" asian countries.

They are just like Russians [nod] Slim and tall. Headlights very power :wub:

You are trying different breed of chickens in your farm...... [sly]

Ya.... bring in the Ukraine chicks & cross breed with locals ... [smash]

You are trying different breed of chickens in your farm...... [sly]

Ya.... bring in the Ukraine chicks & cross breed with locals ... [smash]

I cum back until now naber wash [flowerface] You want??

Your new experimental farm in Punggol Park kana raided on Friday night.... [grin]

KNN I cum back read mcf at least got 2 threads talking about saving water ...

Just nice...no need to wash [sly]

KNN I cum back read mcf at least got 2 threads talking about saving water ...

Just nice...no need to wash [sly]

Please hor..... wash your didi but you can help save water for not washing your car ... [grin]

Just came back from oversea, don't know carried what kind of germs .... :wacko:

Don't think anything much will change, afterall the rich are still rich. A bit of correction, yes, due to local ABSD rather than external factors

↡ Advertisement