Puthucheary scoffs at NMP Lien

Baal

Supersonic
(edited)

http://www.tremeritus.com/2014/03/04/puthucheary-scoffs-at-nmp-liens-free-education-idea/

Puthucheary scoffs at NMP Lien’s free education idea

dmca_protected_sml_120n.pngPostDateIcon.png March 4th, 2014 | PostAuthorIcon.png Author: Editorial
puthucheary-200x300.jpg

Dr Puthucheary

Nominated Member of Parliament Laurence Lien, CEO of the National Volunteer & Philanthropy Centre (NVPC), proposed in Parliament yesterday (3 Mar) that the government guarantee free basic education for all Singaporeans between 3 to 18 years.

Mr Lien said in his speech (‘NMP Lien: Every generation is a pioneer generation‘):

Primary and secondary education is essentially free in Singapore. Pre-school education is receiving substantially more subsidies. Can we not simply guarantee free basic education for all between 3 to 18 years?

For pre-school, a universal voucher can be provided to all children, set at the median fees charged by all operators. Tertiary education fees can be chargeable in the form of a loan whose repayment is a proportion of what the graduate actually earns in the workforce.

Those going into lower paid professions, like in the nonprofit sector, can receive loan forgiveness if they are unable to make full payment at the end of their loan tenure.

However, Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC MP Janil Puthucheary poured scorn on Mr Lien’s proposal to offer free basic education to Singaporean children from 3 to 18 years old.

The Malaysia-born Dr Puthucheary, who famously equated saving childrens’ lives in KK Hospital as a pediatrician to serving National Service, said:

I listened in interest to Mr Lien’s suggestions. He called for free education while acknowledging that much of the education is currently at very low cost. Free education is not free.

It’s very, very expensive to the society as a whole, to those societies that deliver free education, there is a very high taxation burden and it drives behaviour for individuals to seek private education.

And so the access to opportunity differentiates across the income spectrum. What is the outcome? The outcome we need is equality of opportunity for all. And free education, will it improve the equality of opportunity by giving similar access to everybody, I am doubtful of that.

Dr Puthucheary did not explain how a high tax burden in some first world countries is driving citizens of those countries to seek private education.

Dr Puthucheary sought further to rebut Mr Lien:

He (Mr Lien) also called for the envisioning of possibilities and talked about the reality on the ground. I have to say I take umbrage at this. In 1995, 99% of the time the reality on the ground is that Singaporeans work hard, they’re rewarded for their hard work and they do envision the possibilities. They do have pride in the work that they do and they have self confidence that they can build a better future for themselves and for their families.

I’ve one family I know very well through my MPS and my work on the ground. The gentleman is quite unwell and requires regular help at one of the hospitals. He’s unable to work at this point in time. His wife works to support the entire family. But they envision the possibility when their daughter receives the educational merit bursary award. They know that their daughter has possibility, has opportunity, has equality of access to that opportunity and they can see the future. The lady in question has pride and self confidence in her ability to maintain and provide for her family.

Mr Laurence Lien is a grandson of the late Lien Ying Chow, founder of Overseas Union Bank (OUB) which later merged with United Overseas Bank (UOB) after the government-linked Development Bank of Singapore (DBS) tried to make a hostile takeover bid for OUB in 2001. At the time, the elder Mr Lien did not want DBS to acquire OUB so he decided to merge with UOB.

On 1 August 2001, DBS was forced to apologise and pay compensation for a document condemning the merger of UOB and OUB. The DBS document said that there was likely to be “decision paralysis and infighting” if the merger went ahead. The act of UOB buying OUB was “designed to keep family control intact without regard for shareholder value,” and OUB shareholders “should chastise its board and management”. The document also referred to a “board and management team composed of family and friends”.

Later, DBS chairman S Dhanabalan said he was “angry and upset” the statements had been made and accepted responsibility although the document had not been prepared by his bank. DBS apologised to UOB and OUB and paid $1 million to both banks. Both UOB and OUB accepted Mr Dhanabalan’s apology and the retraction of statements, and donated the $1 million dollars compensation to charity.

Edited by Baal
↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

http://www.tremeritus.com/2014/03/04/puthucheary-scoffs-at-nmp-liens-free-education-idea/

dmca_protected_sml_120n.pngPostDateIcon.png March 4th, 2014 | PostAuthorIcon.png Author: Editorial
puthucheary-200x300.jpg

Dr Puthucheary

Nominated Member of Parliament Laurence Lien, CEO of the National Volunteer & Philanthropy Centre (NVPC), proposed in Parliament yesterday (3 Mar) that the government guarantee free basic education for all Singaporeans between 3 to 18 years.

Mr Lien said in his speech (‘NMP Lien: Every generation is a pioneer generation‘):

Primary and secondary education is essentially free in Singapore. Pre-school education is receiving substantially more subsidies. Can we not simply guarantee free basic education for all between 3 to 18 years?

For pre-school, a universal voucher can be provided to all children, set at the median fees charged by all operators. Tertiary education fees can be chargeable in the form of a loan whose repayment is a proportion of what the graduate actually earns in the workforce.

Those going into lower paid professions, like in the nonprofit sector, can receive loan forgiveness if they are unable to make full payment at the end of their loan tenure.

However, Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC MP Janil Puthucheary poured scorn on Mr Lien’s proposal to offer free basic education to Singaporean children from 3 to 18 years old.

The Malaysia-born Dr Puthucheary, who famously equated saving childrens’ lives in KK Hospital as a pediatrician to serving National Service, said:

I listened in interest to Mr Lien’s suggestions. He called for free education while acknowledging that much of the education is currently at very low cost. Free education is not free.

It’s very, very expensive to the society as a whole, to those societies that deliver free education, there is a very high taxation burden and it drives behaviour for individuals to seek private education.

And so the access to opportunity differentiates across the income spectrum. What is the outcome? The outcome we need is equality of opportunity for all. And free education, will it improve the equality of opportunity by giving similar access to everybody, I am doubtful of that.

Dr Puthucheary did not explain how a high tax burden in some first world countries is driving citizens of those countries to seek private education.

He (Mr Lien) also called for the envisioning of possibilities and talked about the reality on the ground. I have to say I take umbrage at this. In 1995, 99% of the time the reality on the ground is that Singaporeans work hard, they’re rewarded for their hard work and they do envision the possibilities. They do have pride in the work that they do and they have self confidence that they can build a better future for themselves and for their families.

I’ve one family I know very well through my MPS and my work on the ground. The gentleman is quite unwell and requires regular help at one of the hospitals. He’s unable to work at this point in time. His wife works to support the entire family. But they envision the possibility when their daughter receives the educational merit bursary award. They know that their daughter has possibility, has opportunity, has equality of access to that opportunity and they can see the future. The lady in question has pride and self confidence in her ability to maintain and provide for her family.

Mr Laurence Lien is a grandson of the late Lien Ying Chow, founder of Overseas Union Bank (OUB) which later merged with United Overseas Bank (UOB) after the government-linked Development Bank of Singapore (DBS) tried to make a hostile takeover bid for OUB in 2001. At the time, the elder Mr Lien did not want DBS to acquire OUB so he decided to merge with UOB.

On 1 August 2001, DBS was forced to apologise and pay compensation for a document condemning the merger of UOB and OUB. The DBS document said that there was likely to be “decision paralysis and infighting” if the merger went ahead. The act of UOB buying OUB was “designed to keep family control intact without regard for shareholder value,” and OUB shareholders “should chastise its board and management”. The document also referred to a “board and management team composed of family and friends”.

Later, DBS chairman S Dhanabalan said he was “angry and upset” the statements had been made and accepted responsibility although the document had not been prepared by his bank. DBS apologised to UOB and OUB and paid $1 million to both banks. Both UOB and OUB accepted Mr Dhanabalan’s apology and the retraction of statements, and donated the $1 million dollars compensation to charity.

The fact that Lien Foundation still stands today speaks volumes.

Anyway, why would free education not result in equal opportunities? If we look at free education and ensuring that everyone will be given an equal opportunity to step into the working world with a degree in hand, aren't we granting equal opportunities to all?

I think the Scandinavian and Denmark's model of education is much better than ours.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

puthucheary-200x300.jpg

Dr Puthucheary

is the doc saying paying for education will result in equal opportunity for all and free education doesn't?

i struggle with this logic. but then again i am peasant.

• Praise 5

If already low cost, why not make it free for Singapore Citizens?

Free education, an important social pillar, will make us proud of Singapore again (not getting firsts in silly surveys) and that we have something to shout about to rest of the world.

I have not had that feeling for a very very long time.

• Praise 5

I don't mine and fully support if SG got First in the World for giving free education to all Singaporean from the age of 3 to 18 ..... [smash]

Better still subsidise Uni fee up to 75% .... [bounce2]

First for most expensive city & cars for fark ... :angry:

• Praise 2

Supercharged

This punteh is digging is on grave.

Giving vouchers?? How third world. Come'on I would expect our Ministers to give better answers to problems then just giving vouchers.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

Education is never free. Got books, uniforms, tuition, enrichment, transport etc... hefty sum if you add all up.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

I don't mine and fully support if SG got First in the World for giving free education to all Singaporean from the age of 3 to 18 ..... [smash]

Better still subsidise Uni fee up to 75% .... [bounce2]

First for most expensive city & cars for fark ... :angry:

Especially so for the uni part. At least a Bach degree. Free MBA/Phd may be pushing it.

This punteh is digging is on grave.

Giving vouchers?? How third world. Come'on I would expect our Ministers to give better answers to problems then just giving vouchers.

Indeed, just sounds very wrong.

Education is never free. Got books, uniforms, tuition, enrichment, transport etc... hefty sum if you add all up.

hmmmm.........like to compare with other countries, follow Western style lor...

Home cloths .. [:)]

Supersonic

If already low cost, why not make it free for Singapore Citizens?

Free education, an important social pillar, will make us proud of Singapore again (not getting firsts in silly surveys) and that we have something to shout about to rest of the world.

I have not had that feeling for a very very long time.

I second that.

Worse thing is, many slots & scholarships/living fees given out to foreign students.

These places could have been given to locals. Who would then save their monies by not needing to go to privatized institutions.

• Praise 4

there is no free lunch ... it's true thousand years ago and it's still true today

someone has to paid for it

who pay and how much ... that's a different discussion

• Praise 1

Twincharged

karma will bite the PAP in their asses

wanna stinge on education?

The money saved will be flushed down the toilet in many more $300m youth olympics, or $400,000 renaming exercises

or suffer more $60 billion investment losses

Do more good with the money and there would be happier singaporeans around!

• Praise 4

(edited)

They rather give the money to their scholar generals to be director of some education committee. Or some other jiak liao be positions. If they actually do away with all these redundant positions maybe it's more dan enough to subsidise full for all sgporean children w/o taxing extra on the ppl.

*also running away*

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

it can be free, but will the parents of today think the quality of the free pre-school is good enough?

Primary and Secondary is as good as free if do away with the excursion, etc (heard over the radio this morning that some parents opt for their pri sch kids to go Japan, Europe ,etc [sweatdrop] , some parents of special interest group even organise trip to Barcelona for soccer training [sweatdrop][sweatdrop] ).

If Tertiary can be free would be better.

Then the next question is how the attract the shortage of teachers.

• Praise 2

it can be free, but will the parents of today think the quality of the free pre-school is good enough?

Primary and Secondary is as good as free if do away with the excursion, etc (heard over the radio this morning that some parents opt for their pri sch kids to go Japan, Europe ,etc [sweatdrop] , some parents of special interest group even organise trip to Barcelona for soccer training [sweatdrop][sweatdrop] ).

Darn. I want to go Amsterdam red light district for puberty training.

I better go try and see whether my school uniform still fits.

Hooray to special interest group.

Supercharged

The quality of Singapore's early childhood education is pretty low compared to Australia and even China.

In Singapore, a cert is sufficient, whereas the teachers in Australia are Master-degree holders and that is their minimum.

↡ Advertisement