More new Citizens in SG

Baal

Turbocharged

Worse of all, they sometimes bring their aged parents over as well to become citizens.

goto any childcare ctr n see for yourself how many FT lau ah pek n ah ma there are... LOTS.... they shld b taxed more for pushing up our elderly cost!

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

This one.... my neighbourhood is full of this kind....... [bigcry]

They are not working and contributing, but exhausting our resources.....

in my area (woodlands), those older PRC aunties become garang guni. Can see them searching through rubbish dump and bulky item dump looking for "gems". Once I saw a PRC auntie dismantled a used washing machine! What a talent!

Edited by Dream
  • Praise 2

Well, the main worry should not be a shrinking population (we survived with 3 mil people didn't we?) but an aging one where the young have problems contributing enough to support the old.

The trick to overcoming an aging population isn't to bring in more citizens.

What we need to do is bring in able bodied chaps to work and contribute taxes. When they are old (around 35 to 40?), send them home and replace them with a new batch. The taxes these young chaps will pay for the extra healthcare that our old folks require - at least until they die and our young to old ratio is back to a healthy range.

Current policy allows these foreigners to work here, live her and then subsequently grow old here. Worse of all, they sometimes bring their aged parents over as well to become citizens.

We survived with 3mil but out of the 3mil how many are ppl aged above 65yo back dan? What was the average age dan?

If dun allow their parents dan who will want to come settle? Grandparents can also help take care of the grandchildren. It's not easy to uproot from where they are from and settle here. You got try to migrate and look at your options? Not easy, right? Else you won't be here liao.

The bring in foreigners is a temp solution coz ppl do not confirm stay for good. We still need sgporeans to produce more to sustain the main population. Those that won't easily leave the country.

if they put back the rubbish nicely nevermind, but KNN make the whole place so messy!

in my area (woodlands), those older PRC aunties become garang guni. Can see them searching through rubbish dump and bulky item dump looking for "gems". Once I saw a PRC auntie dismantled a used washing machine! What a talent!

• Praise 1

(edited)

Increasing population to achieve growth or to solve aging population issues, especially via immigration, is the biggest Ponzi scheme in the world. There is no end to this madness, as the "new citizens" coming here in their 20's-40's, will lead to an even greater aging population problem 30 years down the road.

What then? Bring in even more (100K new citizens per year?) to "solve" the new aging population problem? 12M population? 20M? Not only our children/grand children have to live underground, they better be equipped to live underwater!

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 3

Problem is, way too expensive to have children. Everything from house to groceries to education, not cheap you know.

To raise children in the world's most expensive city.

They must be the most expensive kids in the world then. [sweatdrop]

Supersonic

We survived with 3mil but out of the 3mil how many are ppl aged above 65yo back dan? What was the average age dan?

If dun allow their parents dan who will want to come settle? Grandparents can also help take care of the grandchildren. It's not easy to uproot from where they are from and settle here. You got try to migrate and look at your options? Not easy, right? Else you won't be here liao.

The bring in foreigners is a temp solution coz ppl do not confirm stay for good. We still need sgporeans to produce more to sustain the main population. Those that won't easily leave the country.

1. I didn't say we can drop our population down to 3 mil immediately (this is just an example of a target). In the medium term, we will need a pool of tax payers to support our aged population until our age ratio is sorted out.

2. Why do we want them to come settle? As I said, they are here just to pay tax. Immigration policy should be the same as that of maids and construction workers. Use and throw.

Solving the aging population is all about raising the TPFR. If we have a young couple in their 30s (too young and they won't have the required experience to get the EP) with 1 or 2 kids. Then the TPFR is either 1 or 2. If you throw in 2 parents, average TPFR is now 0.5 or 1. Throw in 4 parents and TPFR falls to 0.33 or 0.66. How does this help our aging population again?

3. Again, my point is that we don't want them to stay. Yes, if we only want to attract them here, squeeze everything out of them and ask them to leave, then we will need think of other benefits that Singapore can give them them.

Increasing population to achieve growth or to solve aging population issues, especially via immigration, is the biggest Ponzi scheme in the world. There is no end to this madness, as the "new citizens" coming here in their 20's-40's, will lead to an even greater aging population problem 30 years down the road.

What then? Bring in even more (100K new citizens per year?) to "solve" the new aging population problem? 12M population? 20M? Not only our children/grand children have to live underground, they better be equipped to live underwater!

My point as well. This solution will not work unless the new citizens are excellent breeders.

• Praise 1

(edited)

http://www.tremeritus.com/2014/03/05/ms-fu-20k-new-citizens-30k-prs-added-last-year/

Ms Fu: 20K new citizens, 30K PRs added last year

dmca_protected_sml_120n.pngPostDateIcon.png March 5th, 2014 | PostAuthorIcon.png Author: Editorial
gracefu.jpg

Ms Grace Fu

In Parliament today (5 Mar), Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office Grace Fu said that the government has embarked on a new “strategic direction” in its population policies to bring about a slower and more sustainable pace of population growth, as committed to in the Population White Paper.

She said, “Our goal is that Singapore continues to be an endearing home and a good place for Singaporeans to live, work and play.”

Ms Fu also told the House that Singapore’s population grew by “just” 1.6% in 2013 last year, the slowest in 10 years and almost half the average rate of 3.1% from 2004 to 2012.

31,000 Singaporean babies were born last year resulting in a fertility rate of 1.19. The number of babies born is fewer than in 2012 but more than in 2011.

Ms Fu also revealed that growth in the foreign workforce in the non-construction sector was halved from 7.1% to 3.5% last year in line with the government’s policy of tightening foreign manpower.

This came about after several thousands of Singaporeans staged the biggest protest since Singapore’s independence, at Hong Lim Park on 16 Feb last year. It was staged against the 6.9 million Population White Paper passed by the PAP-dominated Parliament. Singaporeans were fed-up with the government’s “open door” policy which allowed too many foreigners to stay and work in Singapore, competing for resources with Singaporeans.

Through births and immigration, Singapore citizen population grew by 0.9% to 3.31 million. Some 20,000 foreigners were also granted Singapore citizenship last year.

“These (new citizens) were assessed to be to be able to contribute and integrate well into our society,” Ms Fu said.

In addition, about 30,000 PR status were granted to foreigners last year to “mitigate the shrinking and ageing of our citizen population”, she added.

Hoping to see more Singaporeans giving births, she urged aspiring parents to make time for things that matter, and not wait for the “perfect timing”.

She said, “We, as family members, friends, employers and the community, will be there to encourage and support you every step of the way as you embark on this challenging but immensely fulfilling marriage and parenthood journey.”

She said, “Our goal is that Singapore continues to be an endearing home and a good place for Singaporeans to live, work and play.”

Siao it should have been your mandate, not goal! Just like the FED has two mandates, ensuring Singapore continues to be an endearing home is one of the many mandates as our goverment! No excuse for failing to do so.

Edited by Pmet
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged
(edited)

if they put back the rubbish nicely nevermind, but KNN make the whole place so messy!

Why cant they adopt a more civic-minded behaviour instead of bringing the opposite here? [crazy] :angry:

Edited by Super7

1. I didn't say we can drop our population down to 3 mil immediately (this is just an example of a target). In the medium term, we will need a pool of tax payers to support our aged population until our age ratio is sorted out.

2. Why do we want them to come settle? As I said, they are here just to pay tax. Immigration policy should be the same as that of maids and construction workers. Use and throw.

Solving the aging population is all about raising the TPFR. If we have a young couple in their 30s (too young and they won't have the required experience to get the EP) with 1 or 2 kids. Then the TPFR is either 1 or 2. If you throw in 2 parents, average TPFR is now 0.5 or 1. Throw in 4 parents and TPFR falls to 0.33 or 0.66. How does this help our aging population again?

3. Again, my point is that we don't want them to stay. Yes, if we only want to attract them here, squeeze everything out of them and ask them to leave, then we will need think of other benefits that Singapore can give them them.

My point as well. This solution will not work unless the new citizens are excellent breeders.

The majority of "new" citizens, once settled in Singapore, face the exact same bread and butter issues as the "old" citizens. Which will likely to lead them to have fewer children. Worse still, from my personal encounters, many already have the intention to move their children to even greener pastures once the children finish enjoying the free education here. The old "new" citizens can remain here to enjoy Pioneer Package 2, 3......

It is a time bomb.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

I still subscribing to the now dyfunct stop at 2 policy [:p]

I was speeding, but already hit 3 by the time I stepped hard on the brakes... [sweatdrop]

• Praise 4

Are you sure locals don't do that?

Supercharged

She got 3 sons hor, not that bad,... Hehehe,,,.

If I have her kind of salary, I can have even more than 3....

I was speeding, but already hit 3 by the time I stepped hard on the brakes... [sweatdrop]

You should go slow.....cos some "cars" prefer to go slow, to enjoy the feel and touch. :D

Please use good quality tyres [laugh]

Or good quality rubber...cos tyres are (also) made from rubber ?!?! [:/]

• Praise 7

Turbocharged

Please use good quality tyres [laugh]

That time poor QC in factor-made rubber, I also don't know how to hand-make. :-(

If I have her kind of salary, I can have even more than 3....

You should go slow.....cos some "cars" prefer to go slow, to enjoy the feel and touch. :D

Or good quality rubber...cos tyres are (also) made from rubber ?!?! [:/]

if I had her that kind of salary and time to talk rubbish, I would just spend my time planting my seeds to boost their so called replacement scheme liow lol........by 2030 I dunno how many really true Singaporeans are left instead of those bought in.

by the way good rubbers also need good brake calipers and pads, please get them replaced also.. :D

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
(edited)

1. If I have her kind of salary, I can have even more than 3....

2. You should go slow.....cos some "cars" prefer to go slow, to enjoy the feel and touch. :D

3. Or good quality rubber...cos tyres are (also) made from rubber ?!?! [:/]

1. Cannot, else indulgence makes her a mania!! Ppl wilł add CK Emeritus to the name.

2. These B roads are always dark and bushy, you like such scenery?

3. Are you able to import from the rubber tycoon in Thailand? Heard he can provide rubber with ton yum flavour to make every night a hot nite hotter than hatyai

Edited by Super7

if I had her that kind of salary and time to talk rubbish, I would just spend my time planting my seeds to boost their so called replacement scheme liow lol........by 2030 I dunno how many really true Singaporeans are left instead of those bought in.

by the way good rubbers also need good brake calipers and pads, please get them replaced also.. :D

Sowing the seeds of love? [sly]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3