Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
30 replies to this topic | 50 praises

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

Jman888
  • Jman888
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Nine charged over insurance scam involving accident
They claimed more than $83,000 by allegedly staging a crash
Published on Mar 06, 2014
By Joyce Lim

Nine men were charged with cheating yesterday over an alleged staged road accident, which saw them claim more than $83,000 in insurance.

The group is said to have conspired to fraudulently tell insurers that a Rentokil van had been involved in a crash with three cars along Sembawang Drive in July 2009, before claiming for injuries and damage to their vehicles.

The day after the accident, the van's driver, Rudyanto Sarmani, 32, reported it to his employer, Rentokil Initial Singapore, which paid out $1,563 to cover repairs to the Toyota van in January 2010. He faces one charge of cheating.

The Straits Times understands that the three cars involved were a Proton Gen 2, a Hyundai Matrix and a Honda Fit.

see their photo here  :D

http://www.straitsti...cident-20140306

Edited by Ragingbull, 23 January 2015 - 11:32 AM.

骑白马的不一定是王子,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

Kurty
  • Premium member
    Kurty
    Turbocharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

now still compensate so much?

i only got 20k as compensate for a major accident..

i seriously believe its my lawyer, didn't fight for my rights

bluey Tiko Ranger

I have a pen, I have an apple..

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

drivinghazard
  • Premium member
    drivinghazard
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

So it's not inflating the claim. The accident did not even take place. Sibey hiong

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Deckbuild
  • Premium member
    Deckbuild
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Eh....... not to be racist, but insurance company will sure suspect isn't it if all are from same ethic group?

Jamesc and Count-Bracula praised this

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

Ahgong
  • Premium member
    Ahgong
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

So it's not inflating the claim. The accident did not even take place. Sibey hiong

That is plain stupid. what makes them think they will not be found out?!?

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

Vhtfhwlego
  • Premium member
    Vhtfhwlego
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Initial pay out (damages to van) $1k.
Other pay out to the involving cars $10k?
PI claims & legal claims $72k?

Don't need a fool to know its a scam.
24th Aug 2006, we lost a planet!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

ChickenMob
  • Premium member
    ChickenMob
    6th Gear
    Author Image

these kind of people are those that keep making my insurance rise although I did not claim ......zzzzzz  jail them gao gao lak

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Eh....... not to be racist, but insurance company will sure suspect isn't it if all are from same ethic group?

No lah. It could be their reports that they have submitted have some inconsistency. Somewhat different from other  chain collision claims that the insurance company has seen.

The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

Deckbuild
  • Premium member
    Deckbuild
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

No lah. It could be their reports that they have submitted have some inconsistency. Somewhat different from other  chain collision claims that the insurance company has seen.

Oh, okok, apologies to all [lipsrsealed]

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

Vhtfhwlego
  • Premium member
    Vhtfhwlego
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

these kind of people are those that keep making my insurance rise although I did not claim ......zzzzzz  jail them gao gao lak

Y not see it in another angle, all business cost had increased over the years especially in rental & labour.

24th Aug 2006, we lost a planet!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

ChickenMob
  • Premium member
    ChickenMob
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Y not see it in another angle, all business cost had increased over the years especially in rental & labour.

agreed , lots of small business are complaining that its hard to survive now due to those high rising cost.

had hawkers who told me after deducting all the overheads then are making about $1700-1800 per month, and most of

them are young and had the ability to make more than this amount outside working for others..

soon all will be a dying trade....

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

Knoobie
  • Premium member
    Knoobie
    Supercharged
    Author Image

agreed , lots of small business are complaining that its hard to survive now due to those high rising cost.

had hawkers who told me after deducting all the overheads then are making about $1700-1800 per month, and most of

them are young and had the ability to make more than this amount outside working for others..

soon all will be a dying trade....

no wonder nowadays no one want to go learn how to fry nice nice fried kway teow...

btw, why their faces all round round one!!

Edited by Knoobie, 06 March 2014 - 01:32 PM.

Doesn't mean you drive a faster car, you can travel at 70kph on a clear lane 1 with a train of cars behind you...

that is what lane 2 is for..

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

So, what you're saying is that their mistake was in not being multi-racial enough in their scam attempt? [laugh]
This place is not what it used to be. I'm glad for the friends I made here. But I'm moving on, just like Porker and some others I know. Cheers!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

Deckbuild
  • Premium member
    Deckbuild
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

So, what you're saying is that their mistake was in not being multi-racial enough in their scam attempt? [laugh]

Errrrr, dun wan to comment liao, later kena bomb coz of this [sweatdrop]

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

Yrvsport
  • Premium member
    Yrvsport
    5th Gear
    Author Image

standard of living is so high...anythin to do with $$$$ semua boleh...

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

Sabian
  • Sabian
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I thought only GRC need multi racial representation?

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

Jamesc
  • Premium member
    Jamesc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Actually this is a very good point. What are the odds on this and what are the odds they all know each other?

I would think the first thing they did is try to find out if all these people knew each other.

Insurance investigators are very smart people.

:D

Say no to harsh artificial chemicals

that pollute the earth

and go natural. [thumbsup]

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I thought only GRC need multi racial representation?

But think of what a great scam that is. Can secure 93% with only 60%. [rolleyes]

Wonderful model for all budding scamsters. [laugh]
This place is not what it used to be. I'm glad for the friends I made here. But I'm moving on, just like Porker and some others I know. Cheers!

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

Throttle2
  • Throttle2
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Plse put these people away...

Like the bloody road tax isnt hig enough, insurance companies still try to load premium on the general public due to as$holes like these
Count-Bracula praised this
Targetting to truly retire by 2028
Give away my CPF
Travel the world and smoke those Cubans!

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

Jman888
  • Jman888
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

War on motor claims bear fruit
Lim Yi Han | MyPaper | Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014

SINGAPORE - The war on fake motor-insurance claims appears to be paying off. Last year, insurers in this sector made their smallest payout in five years.

Things may get even better for them as they are lobbying for a specific law against insurance fraud to deter tricksters.

Last year, insurers in the sector paid $712.4 million in claims, $29.7 million less than the $742.1 million the previous year. This is the lowest payout in five years, said the General Insurance Association of Singapore (GIA) at its annual results briefing yesterday.

Reason? Measures to tackle inflated or fraudulent claims, such as its Motor Claims Framework, are taking effect.
Implemented in 2008, the scheme requires motorists to inform insurers of accidents within 24 hours and makes it mandatory for insurers to conduct pre-repair inspections.

Mr Derek Teo, executive director of GIA, said: "It's now more embraced by motorists. In the beginning, motorists were not so used to it so not many adhered to it."

He added: "Timely reporting gives insurers a better chance to investigate."

Inspections by third-party insurers before the repair works start also cut down the chances of cheating and inflated claims.

The association asked the Monetary Authority of Singapore last month for a law aimed specifically at insurance fraud.

Earlier this month, nine men were charged with cheating over an allegedly staged road accident, which saw them claim more than $83,000 in insurance.

Mr Teo said: "If people know that there is a fraud law staring at them in the face, they will think twice before making false claims."

Insurers are taking their own steps to smoke out cheats.

Mr Luiz Campos, chief executive of Liberty Insurance Singapore, said the company set up an investigation unit to look into fraud cases since 2010, and it has been "effective".

AXA Insurance Singapore set up an investigation unit last year. It has already uncovered some cases which have been handed over to the authorities.

NTUC Income has implemented several layers of checks and has its own "fraud indicator". One red flag would be those who make repeated or multiple claims to the company or other insurers.

In general, the motor-insurance sector saw a rise in profits last year, though the average premium collected for motor insurance dipped slightly.

The average motor premium collected last year was $1,250, down from $1,280 in 2012. GIA attributed the decrease to less registration of new cars and more insurers in the marketplace.

In total, the motor-insurance sector collected $1.22 billion in gross premiums last year, a 2 per cent drop from 2012.

On the whole, Singapore's domestic general insurance industry grew 4.5 per cent to $3.5 billion in total gross premiums last year.

GIA president A. K. Cher said this reflects a "stable and sustainable insurance market and growth that is in tandem with the growth of the economy".

Referring to the motor-insurance sector, the major line of business, he added: "We will continue to work with our various stakeholders to ensure that motor claims are effectively managed and premiums continue to stabilise."

骑白马的不一定是王子,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: insurance scam, car accident and 3 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users