Malaysian to hang for starving maid to death

Jman888

Malaysian couple to hang for starving Indonesian maid
AFP
Friday, Mar 07, 2014
20140307_maidabusemsia.jpg?itok=MGX9tvi_
Fong Kong Meng and his wife Teoh Ching Yen have been sentenced to death for murdering their maid.
KUALA LUMPUR - A Malaysian couple have been sentenced to hang for murdering their Indonesian maid by starving her to death, according to reports Friday that said she weighed just 26 kilos (57 pounds) when she died.
In the latest case of abuse against the legion of Indonesian migrant workers in Malaysia, the High Court ruled on Thursday that 26-year-old Isti Komariyah died of deliberate starvation in June 2011.
Judge Noor Azian Shaari said Fong Kong Meng, 58 and his wife Teoh Ching Yen, 56, consistently withheld food from the young woman during the three years she worked for them.
"She was 26 and weighed barely 26kg when she was taken to the University Malaya Medical Centre with bruises and scratch marks on her back, arms and forehead," The Star newspaper reported.
Isti was declared dead on arrival at the hospital. She had weighed 46 kilos (101 pounds) when she first started working for the couple.
The court and the couple's lawyer could not be immediately reached for comment.
Malaysia relies on an estimated two million Indonesians who toil in plantation, construction, factory and domestic work - both legally and illegally.
Allegations of abuse against foreign labourers have included overwork, beatings, sexual abuse and torture.
A Cambodian maid was starved to death in 2012 by her employers, earning them 24 years in jail. Cambodia had stopped sending maids a year earlier over other abuses.
But poor Indonesian women have continued to arrive.
Malaysia has taken some steps towards improving the welfare of domestic workers, including requiring at least one day off per week and nearly doubling minimum monthly salaries to 700 ringgit (US$210).
But activists say it is difficult to enforce these requirements.
The Indonesian embassy estimates 400,000 women work in Malaysia as maids - about half illegally. Indonesian workers account for roughly half of all foreign labourers.
The two Muslim neighbours' closer scrutiny of the issue has slowed processing of legal domestic workers, causing a shortage that has fuelled the efforts of traffickers bringing in illegals, activists say.

two lives for one [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

saw another news in Singapore that a husband and wife also abuse the maid till she lost 20kg [mad]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Supercharged

I dun understand these people. that maid is someone's daughter too.

the poor girl died of starvation?!?

Though I do not know what she did to deserve being deprived of food as a punishment... but to starve to death?!?

my goodness~~~!!! [shock]

• Praise 3

Couple pleads guilty to abusing Indonesian maid who lost 20kg in 7 months
Published on Mar 06, 2014
nsiabuse36314e.jpg
Couple Nuraini Hassan (left) and Mohamad Al-Hafiz Nordin, who faced a total of nine charges of maid abuse, pleaded guilty on Thursday, March 6, 2014, to assaulting their domestic worker who was 20kg lighter by the time she escaped from her employers' flat. -- ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW
By Elena Chong
A couple who faced a total of nine charges of maid abuse pleaded guilty on Thursday to assaulting their domestic worker who was 20kg lighter by the time she escaped from her employers' flat.
The abuse took place over a six-month period from February 2012 until the first week of August that year when the 34-year-old Indonesian climbed out of the third-floor flat in Punggol and leapt from the second floor.
Ms Yulianti's female employer, Nuraini Hassan, who is now pregnant, pleaded guilty to four charges while Nuraini's husband, Mohamad Al-Hafiz Nordin, admitted to two charges. Both are 30 and have two young children.
Nuraini had punched, slapped, kicked and scratched the maid with her fingernails while Al-Hafiz slapped and hit her, the court heard.

I dun understand these people. that maid is someone's daughter too.

the poor girl died of starvation?!?

Though I do not know what she did to deserve being deprived of food as a punishment... but to starve to death?!?

my goodness~~~!!! [shock]

apparently some employers are devils <_<

Supercharged

apparently some employers are devils <_<

that is an understatement~!

Sigh... for some, hell IS on earth~!

Did she ate all the maid's food?

so obvious? i think she try very hard to hide [laugh]

This one better, starve the entire country

article-2076988-0F3994A300000578-742_306

please dun say that, he is trying out a few missile lately, i dun want him to test whether they can fly it all the way here [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

two lives for one [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

saw another news in Singapore that a husband and wife also abuse the maid till she lost 20kg [mad]

It's cruel to treat a maid like this and also, equally cruel for such sentence to be passed down.

Wonder will the sentence be the same if offender are the same race?

Supercharged

please dun say that, he is trying out a few missile lately, i dun want him to test whether they can fly it all the way here [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Dont worry.... his toy bey zhun one... and our island so small only...

(edited)

This is why not all humans are borned leaders/boss/employers/commanders, etc.

It is a big shoe to fill.

So...what happens to those misfit who tried to fit in???

Some ask their maids to hold their stomach..., others told their men to hold the line [flowerface]

Edited by Chickenfarm
  • Praise 3

KNN.......maid also human being............do wrongs can scold and send them back to agency ..................or send them home..........but nobody has any right to take the life away........ [mad] [mad]

• Praise 2

(edited)

I simply do not understand the mindset of these kind of employers.

Why starve the maid ? I say let the maid eat. Make her strong so she can work hard for you !

I saw my own domestic helper's old photos taken at her ex-employer's home. She was also skin and bones. Not allowed to eat meat. Not allowed to eat seafood. Not allowed this and that. [shakehead]

Edited by Cheepo
  • Praise 1

(edited)

and they managed to send a man up and back from the sun during night time. Power! [laugh]

Sinkapor got what? Sun so bright and hot, still need dryer to dry clothes...... [sly]

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2