5 signs that shows your car is failing

Donut

Supercharged

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/5-signs-might-something-wrong-car-114202229.html

You don't always need to visit the workshop to find out if there is something wrong with your car. Just pay attention to the signs.

The cars of today aren’t the unreliable, poorly built, rust buckets their ancestors were. In terms of reliability, service life and safety standards, the cars of today are light years ahead of the humdrum econoboxes they were derived from. But because of these reasons, many believe that spotting problems with modern cars is something best left to the professionals.

Though this is true when it comes to engine and gearbox performance, other issues don’t require a degree in Mechanical Engineering to figure out something is wrong. Here are five signs that there is something's gone wrong:

Sign 1: Difficulty in turning the steering wheel
Has it become increasing difficult to turn the steering wheel? There could be a number of reasons why this happens. The first could be due to having under inflated tyres. Pump them to recommended levels and you should notice a difference.

If your tyres aren’t the problem than it might be more serious than initially expected. It could be that there isn’t enough power steering fluid (this only applies for hydraulic power steering systems) in the system or that there might be a leak somewhere. If it just requires topping up, take a crack at it but if you aren't confident, take your vehicle to the mechanic.

Sign 2: Difficulty in starting the engine
If it feels as though your engine is struggling to turn over, you might have a weak battery. Neglecting to get it checked can result in a fully flat battery, meaning your stranded. Tips to jump start a car can be found here. How long it takes the engine to turn over depends on how much of charge is left in the battery. If you hear the usual cranking noise but the engine doesn’t want to fire up, the problem could be due to a failed fuel pump.

Sign 3: Blue smoke from the exhaust
Occasionally, once you've started up the engine, get someone to sit in the driver’s seat and rev it a few times while you watch the exhaust tip for smoke. If you see faint blue smoke coming out, that’s bad news. This is a clear indication that your engine is burning engine oil.

Engine oil is used to lubricate moving parts within the engine such as the pistons. It is never used in the combustion process. Its only when it manages to seep through the sidewalls of the pistons does it come into contact with the air fuel mixture and burns along with it. That’s why you see blue smoke. Mending it is going to be expensive but needs to be done.

Sign 4: braking power has decreased
There could be a number of reasons but there are two that you most know about. The first, it could be due to worn brake pads. Over time, through continuous use, brake pads loose their thickness. The more worn they become, the further the brake pedal needs to travel towards the floor. The second reason could be due to a leak in the hydraulic brake system. In either case, it’s a serious matter that needs to be tended to immediately.

Sign 5: headlights aren’t as bright as they used to be
The simplest explanation for this is that your headlights need polishing. If that’s not it, then it’s a more serious problem. It could be that your alternator has failed and your vehicle’s electrical systems are relying on the battery to keep them alive. Because the alternator isn’t working, the battery isn’t being recharged. The more you drive the car, the weaker the battery becomes till eventually everything dies on you.

More from Motor Trader on Yahoo! Autos can be found here.

But for more news, reviews and features visit the Motor Trader website atwww.motortrader.com.my.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

With my car nearing 5 years of age, I've encountered the 1, 2, 5 above.

1. Steering pump faulty. Have went back to the dealership and have it replaced for free.. (Had to take a bus for my anniversary -_-)

2. Hard to start the engine, gone after replacing car batt

3. Same as number 2.

Quite simple and true on the top..

• Praise 1

This information is timely for many car owners now, since the majority of cars on the road now is at least 6-9 year old!

• Praise 1

This information is timely for many car owners now, since the majority of cars on the road now is at least 6-9 year old!

not old what... cars are built to last more than that. only here coz of COE, >5 years old, like feeling driving scrapyard cars.

• Praise 2

not old what... cars are built to last more than that. only here coz of COE, >5 years old, like feeling driving scrapyard cars.

I know cars built to last more than 10 years or beyond. But if you refering to cars here, then it is consider 'old' car if you drive beyond 5 years, and if you drive until 10 years than consider very 'old' car.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/5-signs-might-something-wrong-car-114202229.html

You don't always need to visit the workshop to find out if there is something wrong with your car. Just pay attention to the signs.

The cars of today arent the unreliable, poorly built, rust buckets their ancestors were. In terms of reliability, service life and safety standards, the cars of today are light years ahead of the humdrum econoboxes they were derived from. But because of these reasons, many believe that spotting problems with modern cars is something best left to the professionals.

Though this is true when it comes to engine and gearbox performance, other issues dont require a degree in Mechanical Engineering to figure out something is wrong. Here are five signs that there is something's gone wrong:

Sign 1: Difficulty in turning the steering wheel

Has it become increasing difficult to turn the steering wheel? There could be a number of reasons why this happens. The first could be due to having under inflated tyres. Pump them to recommended levels and you should notice a difference.

If your tyres arent the problem than it might be more serious than initially expected. It could be that there isnt enough power steering fluid (this only applies for hydraulic power steering systems) in the system or that there might be a leak somewhere. If it just requires topping up, take a crack at it but if you aren't confident, take your vehicle to the mechanic.

Sign 2: Difficulty in starting the engine

If it feels as though your engine is struggling to turn over, you might have a weak battery. Neglecting to get it checked can result in a fully flat battery, meaning your stranded. Tips to jump start a car can be found here. How long it takes the engine to turn over depends on how much of charge is left in the battery. If you hear the usual cranking noise but the engine doesnt want to fire up, the problem could be due to a failed fuel pump.

Sign 3: Blue smoke from the exhaust

Occasionally, once you've started up the engine, get someone to sit in the drivers seat and rev it a few times while you watch the exhaust tip for smoke. If you see faint blue smoke coming out, thats bad news. This is a clear indication that your engine is burning engine oil.

Engine oil is used to lubricate moving parts within the engine such as the pistons. It is never used in the combustion process. Its only when it manages to seep through the sidewalls of the pistons does it come into contact with the air fuel mixture and burns along with it. Thats why you see blue smoke. Mending it is going to be expensive but needs to be done.

Sign 4: braking power has decreased

There could be a number of reasons but there are two that you most know about. The first, it could be due to worn brake pads. Over time, through continuous use, brake pads loose their thickness. The more worn they become, the further the brake pedal needs to travel towards the floor. The second reason could be due to a leak in the hydraulic brake system. In either case, its a serious matter that needs to be tended to immediately.

Sign 5: headlights arent as bright as they used to be

The simplest explanation for this is that your headlights need polishing. If thats not it, then its a more serious problem. It could be that your alternator has failed and your vehicles electrical systems are relying on the battery to keep them alive. Because the alternator isnt working, the battery isnt being recharged. The more you drive the car, the weaker the battery becomes till eventually everything dies on you.

More from Motor Trader on Yahoo! Autos can be found here.

But for more news, reviews and features visit the Motor Trader website atwww.motortrader.com.my.

Knn my 6 year old car showing none of the signs... Cannot change car yet.. Sop sop..

• Praise 1

These so call tips/signs are meant for ladies driver... It's like common sense to most driver....

most lady drivers don't even know how to open the bonnet or know that it's required to pump air into types...

Turbocharged

most lady drivers don't even know how to open the bonnet or know that it's required to pump air into types...

That's why such article only good for ladies driver...

Question is how many drivers actually know what is wrong with their cars? Or actually know where the problem originated from.

I have once overheard a conversation in the lift.

Dude A: "Oh, my car is in the workshop. I'm on my way to collect it."

Dude B: "What happened?"

Dude A: " Er...the steering was shaking violently when I drove this morning."

Dude B: "Oh, ok."

If you ask me I also dunno what's wrong with his car coz it's not my car. if my car I will know. It's the mechanic who will do the repairs anyways. So if your car is failing, the mechanic will tell you. And he will be the one who is able to know whether it's worth doing the extensive repair. But looking at the COE now, confirm worth it. LoL...

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Sorry hi-jack this thread...can't find a way to start a new topic. Been experiencing rumbling noises from the dashboard. Kinda sounds like a broken fan. Its there only when the car is warm, and whether the air con is on or off. (it gets louder when the compressor kicks in though)

When I go over speed strips of rough roads, the rumbling/rattling will get louder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vww6_CcNhE

Maybe need to turn the volume up or use earphones. Somehow my phone can't really capture the sound. Will try to take another one tonight.

Driving a swift sport.

Anyone got similar problems? Or any thoughts? Thanks!

• Praise 1

3rd Gear

Am driving a 9 yr old civic, though it's not showing any of the signs above but it has other issues.

1. Whenever it rains, some water will enter the spare tyre well.

2. After that my headlights and interior lights will start flickering.

But when it's during dry weather or the car is not subjected to any rain, these symptoms will not show. Any advise for this?

Am driving a 9 yr old civic, though it's not showing any of the signs above but it has other issues.

1. Whenever it rains, some water will enter the spare tyre well.

2. After that my headlights and interior lights will start flickering.

But when it's during dry weather or the car is not subjected to any rain, these symptoms will not show. Any advise for this?

I guess:

1. car boot leaking

2. wiring get wet and partial short circuit causing light to flicker

if above is true, item 2 is serious... short circuit may cause fire.

↡ Advertisement