Australia : Road trip -- from Syndey to Melbourne (& back?)

Riverfish

Planning a road trip from Syndey to Melbourne this coming June. High level plan is as follows:

- touch down at Syndey, rent a MPV there (since we have 2 families with kids);

- spend 2~3 days around Syndey, including Blue Mountain national park;

- drive to Melbourne via the coastal route (or the inland route, haven't really decided as unsure about pros & cons);

- Spend 2~3 days around Melbourne and Phillips Island;

- drive through the Great Ocean Road and back to Melbourne

- fly back to Syndey from Melbourne or drive via the other route (e.g. if coastal route from Syndey to Melbourne, then inland route back, and vice versa)

Total duration is 9 days. A few questions that I appreciate suggestion/comments from any bros:

1) if I drive down the coastal route from Syndey to Melbourne, is it still worth driving through the Great Ocean road? Scenery wise it will be similiar I guess?

2) Which route, coastal or inland, is more interesting between Syndey and Melbourne?

3) Is there any place along the way that can't be missed?

Thanks for any feedback.

↡ Advertisement

i doubt you can do it in one day from Sydney-Melbourne going by coaster road and have to spend a night along the way.

In that case, you probably can skip Blue mountain and go to snowy mountain on the way to Melbourne, at least you get to go for a ski trip (if it started to snow in June).

However, you itinerary is kind of tight to cover 2 big cities in 9 days (where you spend 3 days on the road).

Edited by Jman888

i doubt you can do it in one day from Sydney-Melbourne going by coaster road and have to spend a night along the way.

In that case, you probably can skip Blue mountain and go to snowy mountain on the way to Melbourne, at least you get to go for a ski trip (if it started to snow in June).

However, you itinerary is kind of tight to cover 2 big cities in 9 days (where you spend 3 days on the road).

Didn't know there is the option of ski on the way at all, but probably will have to give it a pass this time, since we have young kids with us this time.

I know it's kinda tight so I'm actually thinking of skipping the Great Ocean Road part, and if needed, fly back from Melbourne to Sydney rather than drive back. But the idea of covering both the coastal route and the inland route, and enjoying both coastal scenery and inland national parks seems tempting. :)

Didn't know there is the option of ski on the way at all, but probably will have to give it a pass this time, since we have young kids with us this time.

I know it's kinda tight so I'm actually thinking of skipping the Great Ocean Road part, and if needed, fly back from Melbourne to Sydney rather than drive back. But the idea of covering both the coastal route and the inland route, and enjoying both coastal scenery and inland national parks seems tempting. :)

if the ticket is not fixed, then it would be better just stick to Melbourne where more stuff for kids. That way, you can still visit great ocean road, Phillips island, mount buller.

Alternatively, fly to sydney but come back from melbourne if you are allowed to change the ticket.

Edited by Jman888

I think 9 days is not enough for melbourne and sydney.

When I went to Melbourne, already spent 2 days along the Great Ocean Rd.

As I was the sole driver, for safety concern, I drove during day time and not more than 4~6 hours daily. My whole family was sleeping for much of the drive and sometimes I also nodded off for "micro-seconds"

Anyway, I would also add that Philip Island is a bit of a rip off if you are just going there to see the penguins. Seeing the penguins coming out of the ocean is quite interesting for about 10 mins but for that you gotta drive about 3 hours from Melbourne (1 way) and then sit on the beach facing the ocean for hours (if you want a good seat) until after sundown and braving the super chilly winds from the South Pole and when it's all over about 10pm then there is a long drive back if you are not staying at Philip Island.

On the part of driving for the scenery, as I was the only driver, I gotta to focus on the road, so I think I didn't really see much of it in the end

Edited by Lotr
  • Praise 1

Distance between Sdyney and Melbourne is longer than San Francisco to Los Angeles. I left SF 10am via the Pacific coast and reached LA around 11pm with stops along the way for sight seeing. So I guess you may need to stay a nite along the way between sydney and melbourne if you want to look around along the way.

When I stayed for about 5 day at Batemans Bay about 200 km from Sydney, I find it a bit daunting to drive down to Melbourne and back to my base. But I did a long trip to Canberra and then the snowy mountain and back to base very late at nite.

I think 9 days is not enough for melbourne and sydney.

When I went to Melbourne, already spent 2 days along the Great Ocean Rd.

As I was the sole driver, for safety concern, I drove during day time and not more than 4~6 hours daily. My whole family was sleeping for much of the drive and sometimes I also nodded off for "micro-seconds"

Anyway, I would also add that Philip Island is a bit of a rip off if you are just going there to see the penguins. Seeing the penguins coming out of the ocean is quite interesting for about 10 mins but for that you gotta drive about 3 hours from Melbourne (1 way) and then sit on the beach facing the ocean for hours (if you want a good seat) until after sundown and braving the super chilly winds from the South Pole and when it's all over about 10pm then there is a long drive back if you are not staying at Philip Island.

On the part of driving for the scenery, as I was the only driver, I gotta to focus on the road, so I think I didn't really see much of it in the end

Yup Philip island see penguin. Can also go to St Kilda pier in Melbourne to see penguin.

I drove from Adelaide to Melbourne, pass by Coonawarra then go by GOR, 7D6N. 6 hotels, all different towns, nice and leisure, along the way visit lots of cellar doors [lipsrsealed] . But quite hectic because need to change hotel.

So TS if you can stretch out more. Most important is enjoy the it at a leisure pace.

Furthermore you go during winter, short day long nights.

Your itinerary is way too rush. Like running road from the police. Haha.

I suggest you stick to sydney or mel. Not both.

I did a 2 weeks mel & surroundings some years ago. Freaking tiring sia to be always on fhe road going one place to another.

If i were u i took plane from sydney to melbourne. 2-3 days in the road journey is a waste of time. Rather spend sliing in mt buller near melbourne. Nice place there, its ok if u don't ski but u can relax there, take the gondola and look at the amazing snowy view.

Many thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like I can give Phillips island a miss. Will probably cut further from the list, too.

For those who've driven the great ocean road, is it worth the drive? I heard the speed limit is like 40km, and it's physically tiring to visit the scenic spots along the way as you need to climb down/up?

Many thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like I can give Phillips island a miss. Will probably cut further from the list, too.

For those who've driven the great ocean road, is it worth the drive? I heard the speed limit is like 40km, and it's physically tiring to visit the scenic spots along the way as you need to climb down/up?

GOR is a nice drive, You do get a different driving experience as you will be passing through small towns, forest, passing by farms, along the

coastline and some scenic spot where you can stop for a rest, take photos etc. However, it is at least 5 hours from Melbourne, if you want to get to the 12 Apostles.

Alternative is to take a flight or take the inland road or highway, but then you will be just seeing the 12 Apostles, i guess. Not sure if there is any other attractions along the inland route.

GOR is not 40kmh all the way, just some parts where the road is more bendy.

Once you reach the place, it is not tiring at all to see the 12 Apostles as they already have boardwalk built for easy access. There is another place, Loch Ard Gorge, which is slightly further from 12 Apostles, where you have to take a flight of stairs (maybe 3 storeys) to get down to the beach.

When I was there, I stayed in this town called Lorne which is roughly halfway between Melbourne and Port Campbell (which is where the 12 Apostles is located) so that it won't be a 10~12 hours drive for me that day.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Lotr

Just to provide a different point of view for your considerations. I thought that the Phil Island and Great Ocean Road are both not-to-be-missed destination when you visit Melbourne as they are the 2 most popular tourist attraction sites. But I would say that these 2 destination are only good when you are on a tour with a tour guide, meaning you do not drive when you are in Melbourne but to follow a tour. Since the tour would cover your transport through the Great Ocean Road as well as the accomodations.

Personally, I would recommend to drive around in Sydney and take a bus (Grey Hound or whatever) to Melbourne and enjoy the city's famous free public transport the tram (tram route is specially designed for tourist).

Ps: If you are intenting to visit Hunter's Valley in Sydney do go to this winery, Iron Gate, to try their Sweet Shiraz.(http://www.irongateestate.com/1.2/index.php)

Does anyone here have an idea how the road condition will be in August (winter)?

Planning to bring my family and drive along the GOR. Anyone has any recommendation for farm stay along the way?

Does anyone here have an idea how the road condition will be in August (winter)?

Planning to bring my family and drive along the GOR. Anyone has any recommendation for farm stay along the way?

actually, i dont reckon driving long hrs in winter.

because, the day is short....sun set around 4pm....

so you cannot really see alot of GOR in winter. best time would be summer.

infact, driving from SYD to MEL, confirm 1 day not enough. I rather fly.nothing much to see in between, compare to GOR.

for those who dont know, nowadays, they are promoting desert stay vacation, in the center of AUS. I had heard aussies telling me that its great fun. I had yet to try it myself, but will do so one day in the near future,.

Actually my intention is not the destination but the journey. I don't mind if it takes more than a day, I'm willing to have a night along the way in some vacation farm if there is.

I drove once from San Francs to Las Vegas. Along the way, I made a detour to Lake Tahoe and then down through the Death valley. The 1st time we see snow and the small thrills of driving through the mountain roads, I have to say, that was truly an experience for the whole family.

Stayed a night at Vegas and tour the Strip. The next morning, we went to Hoover dam. Wanted to continue on the route 66 but time doesn't permit.

Conditions on coastal roads down there in winter can be unpredictable - black ice is your primary concern but there may be animals as well - wallabies and kangaroos. I limit myself to 4-5 hours driving maximum for any extended road trip and usually aim for 2-3 hour hops between overnight stops.

http://www.australia.com/explore/itineraries/vic-great-southern-touring-route.aspx this route suggests touristy places to stop at which can be costly to stay and dine, but is a nice pace to sightsee provided you wake up early for each day's activities.

Neutral Newbie

What i suggest is the first day you reach sydney ,take the rental car and start driving to melbourne.

Take the coastal way and you wont regret. They are some places you can visit or stay , Wollongong ,Kiama ,Merimbula, Eden ,Lakes Entrance ,Great Ocean Road. It may take you six days and you can fly back to sydney and spend another three days at Blue Montains or in the City. In city they have Sydney Fish Market Opera House

↡ Advertisement