Iconic 1980 Lancer 1.4SL

Vinceng

Turbocharged

Good to see an iconic Lancer in the resale market.

This Lancer came in 3 models - 1.4GL (4 speed manual, without tacometer), 1.4SL (5 speed manual, with tacometer) and 1.6M (5 speed with tacometer, shared same engine as Galant 1.6).

The 1.4l model was the top seller from 1979 to 1982. The Toyota Corolla 1.3 did not even come close. It was the most spacious in its class.

But the *Lancer F 1.2 replacement model in 1983 was a failure and sales dropped drastically.

*Refered to as 3rd generation Lancer Fiore in hyperlink below:

http://jambu2011.blogspot.sg/2011/09/generation-by-generation-mitsubishi.html

It came with skinny 155/80R13 stock tyres. Many owners upgraded to 175/70R13 tyres. It came without power steering and you need brutal muscles to navigate a parking lot.

Power in 1st gear was non existent. Rev till 4000rpm + , and the car accelerates to 20km/h max. 4000rpm on 2nd gear gets you to 40km/h. Significant power comes only in 3rd gear. That is based on only the driver on board. Today's 998cc Perodua Kelisa can anytime beat this Lancer in a 0-100km/h sprint with minimal effort.

But there is no way I will pay $23,800 for this Lancer. Grossly underpowered, hard gearshift, no driving pleasure and a fuel guzzler at 10km/l for a 1.4l N.A. engine. And you need to add lead additive during every top up. Using unleaded petrol leads to significant loss of power.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=393718&DL=2548

Edited by Vinceng
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

One diamond is lost, ask for 33.3% discount off the offer price.

三菱 become 二菱

in terms of paper value, with 5 years left, it is only half of $3,864. effectively, the owner is asking nearly $22,000 for the car body. see if anyone is willing to pay the premium just to have a road-worthy vehicle for the next 5 years.

i think a more viable alternative is to convert to classic car scheme after this COE is up.

My dad used to own this back in the 80's. It was a great car in its day.

To engage the reverse gear, it has to be depressed down and into the 2nd gear

Value-wise... yup not worth it even in this high-COE climate

Turbocharged
(edited)

Reverse gear engaged by pressing gear knob down in neutral, shift right, and down, like the no. 7

Edited by Vinceng

Turbocharged

There's a turbo version in overseas market using a 2000cc engine.

My friend had the 1600cc twin carb GSR model in the mid 80s

My wife drove an used one which she bought for 9k and sold for 14k when the car reached 5 years old (COE was introduced during her ownership years of the car). It was'nt too slow by the standard of the 80s. (So-called performance jap hot hatchbacks were doing 9 to 10 sec for 0-100)

Good to see an iconic Lancer in the resale market.

This Lancer came in 3 models - 1.4GL (4 speed manual, without tacometer), 1.4SL (5 speed manual, with tacometer) and 1.6M (5 speed with tacometer, shared same engine as Galant 1.6).

The 1.4l model was the top seller from 1979 to 1982. The Toyota Corolla 1.3 did not even come close. It was the most spacious in its class.

But the *Lancer F 1.2 replacement model in 1983 was a failure and sales dropped drastically.

*Refered to as 3rd generation Lancer Fiore in hyperlink below:

http://jambu2011.blogspot.sg/2011/09/generation-by-generation-mitsubishi.html

It came with skinny 155/80R13 stock tyres. Many owners upgraded to 175/70R13 tyres. It came without power steering and you need brutal muscles to navigate a parking lot.

Power in 1st gear was non existent. Rev till 4000rpm + , and the car accelerates to 20km/h max. 4000rpm on 2nd gear gets you to 40km/h. Significant power comes only in 3rd gear. That is based on only the driver on board. Today's 998cc Perodua Kelisa can anytime beat this Lancer in a 0-100km/h sprint with minimal effort.

But there is no way I will pay $23,800 for this Lancer. Grossly underpowered, hard gearshift, no driving pleasure and a fuel guzzler at 10km/l for a 1.4l N.A. engine. And you need to add lead additive during every top up. Using unleaded petrol leads to significant loss of power.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=393718&DL=2548

Edited by Super7

Cant believe still able to find this car now? The car 34 year old liao and yet only 2 owners? Remember this car really very popular back then, many of my teachers in school drove this car! :D

Used to own one back in the 80s...Really reliable car and bring back fond memory.

Still remember the joke when I just got the car. Gotten this as a first car after passing my driving license. Nego a deal with a used car dealer, handed the car key and happily walked to the car. Dealer asked "Need help to shift car out of parking lot" I confidently replied "No Need". Not knowing the "special" reverse gear engagement and the dealer had parked the car head in first. Spent close to half an hour in the car and go complain to dealer that the gear box is faulty and unable to engage reverse gear...Dealer laughed and showed how to engage reverse gear and I was totally embarrassed....

Really an experience that I will always remember.

I have fond memories of cars from the late 70s to late 80s. Those were my growing up years.

It is sad that with our COE rules, many nice cars get scrapped.

W124s, SW20s, EGs, AE86, E24, E36, T160, W201 (2.3 16v Cosworth version), R5 GT Turbo, Colt Starion, Carina GT etc etc, the list is so long....

Heck, I would have kept my first car, a 1290cc KE70 4 spd manual if I was in another country. Since there is no scrap value, just leave the damn thing on the roadside also shiok. Fun to practice DIY on those old cars.

I remember the Corona CD too, was real smooth for its day. Back in those days, the Japanese cars esp from Toyota were really quite ahead of the competition in terms of reliability and smoothness.

Edited by Ake109

I have fond memories of cars from the late 70s to late 80s. Those were my growing up years.

It is sad that with our COE rules, many nice cars get scrapped.

W124s, SW20s, EGs, AE86, E24, E36, T160, W201 (2.3 16v Cosworth version), R5 GT Turbo, Colt Starion, Carina GT etc etc, the list is so long....

Heck, I would have kept my first car, a 1290cc KE70 4 spd manual if I was in another country. Since there is no scrap value, just leave the damn thing on the roadside also shiok. Fun to practice DIY on those old cars.

I remember the Corona CD too, was real smooth for its day. Back in those days, the Japanese cars esp from Toyota were really quite ahead of the competition in terms of reliability and smoothness.

even the workshop tells me old japanese toyotas were better... never had any problems with power window motor and other kinds of electronic fault. nowadays thaiyota quality just not as good, less than 10 years interior trim falling off already.

My uncle had a Gen 2 Lancer during 80s. Think it was blue & the speedo read till 180km/h.

JDM cars until today the speedo still until 180kmh... because of the gentlemen's agreement within the Japanese car industry that they won't produce cars above 276bhp. it lasted from 1989 till 2005, and within the lower market segments, the speedometer remained.

JDM cars until today the speedo still until 180kmh... because of the gentlemen's agreement within the Japanese car industry that they won't produce cars above 276bhp. it lasted from 1989 till 2005, and within the lower market segments, the speedometer remained.

It is not the 276hp Gentlemans Agreement. JDM models have electronic speed limiters to 180kph as well.

I think even their high end cars today are limited to 180kph stock regardless of speedo markings.

↡ Advertisement