Saab cars

oolongcha1985

I thought the point about saabs were the light pressure turbos that made them accelerate very well in the past and their niche appeal.

But every other Conti brand is now using small turbos now right... Volvo/VW/BMW/Merc.

is it small/light pressure turbo is better?

↡ Advertisement

I'd like to say a big thank you to the Saab owners here and in the other thread, 'Used Saab - A Good Buy?' who have provided me with great feedback on the car, its frequently-encountered issues and maintenance options. I've actually been searching for a 9-3 Sportcombi since 2012; and finally took the plunge last Friday! It was really a tough call between the 9-3 Vector Sportcombi and an A4 Avant. But I went with my heart this time. The somewhat quirky yet sexy look of the Saab always appealed to me in some way and the power and performance of the Saab did not disappoint. From all the feedback posted, I am well-aware of the potential maintenance issues that may surface and have mentally prepared myself for that, although I do hope it will be minimal. Thankfully, the car came with a service history, with some major wear-and-tear stuff already sorted.

I guess right now the only thing I'll be hoping to sort out is the brakes. The car is one powerful beast but the brakes are somewhat lacking. Either that or I've truly been on Bremboes and BBKs for too long to suddenly go back to stock brakes! Ha! If anyone would be so kind as to point me to some options to get improved brakes, I'd be extremely grateful. Other than the brakes which require urgent attention, there are some other smaller issues:

1) My right-hand side mirror motor seems to be nearing the end of its life. It opens and closes as per normal, but the quirky thing is that after a minute or two, the motor will suddenly run for a short 20 seconds on its own, as if like a delayed reaction.

2) Although I'm going to have the car for only about a year and a half, I was hoping to do some minor improvements to the sound. From the way the panel is structured, I guess re-fitting an aftermarket HU would destroy that entire signature cockpit look somewhat. So I was thinking if there was perhaps a small way of improving the sound by changing front speakers and adding an amp and perhaps an active sub. Any recommendations for this are again, most welcome. [:)]

Once again, I'd like to say a big thanks to all the Saab pilots here for all their feedback, especially Acemundo. Its always nice to see a niche group of people who can appreciate a lesser-appreciated make of cars and go against the grain of following the typical trend of European car ownership!

[flowerface][flowerface][flowerface] congrats on your new car. Which combi did you get ? ohhhh, Vector means you got Desmond's car. From what I know, yeah his car is pretty alright. Just that COE left too short.

As for BBK, I have a 6 pot Tarox kcomplete set lying in my storeroom. Do PM me if keen. Yours is pre FL or ? Changing HU for FL is very common. Pre FL a bit of headache

Edited by Othello

Spray WD40! The solution to all problems!

SAAB can easily chip up using BSR PPC..

BSR is very yesteryear for the many of us. Now we have a someone that specializes in SAAB tuning that enables customization to our own driving styles. BSR is a one fit solution but with local tune, we can custom it to our own driving and have the flexibility to tune it according to our needs.

- Fuel Economy (My best F.C. was 15km/L on a 9-3 Aero)

- Top end power for track

- Torque for NSHW sheer overtaking power

[flowerface][flowerface][flowerface] congrats on your new car. Which combi did you get ? ohhhh, Vector means you got Desmond's car. From what I know, yeah his car is pretty alright. Just that COE left too short.

As for BBK, I have a 6 pot Tarox kcomplete set lying in my storeroom. Do PM me if keen. Yours is pre FL or ? Changing HU for FL is very common. Pre FL a bit of headache

Yup. Few Vector Combis left in the market!

My infotainment HU is the pre-FL version. So I am not exactly inclined to rip it off and substitute it with a new HU because it will totally destroy the entire look and feel that the Saab 'cockpit' is supposed to reflect. I guess I would be contented with a good set of speakers and perhaps an amp and active sub. I'm not sure if there are good audio shops for Saab though...

I would be keen to find out more about the Tarox. Will PM you accordingly. Thanks!

hi.. whats the difference between the aero and linear? 9-3..

im a newbie to this brand..

just wanna find out more..

difference between a lancer and a lancer ralliart turbo.... something like that lol

BSR is very yesteryear for the many of us. Now we have a someone that specializes in SAAB tuning that enables customization to our own driving styles. BSR is a one fit solution but with local tune, we can custom it to our own driving and have the flexibility to tune it according to our needs.

- Fuel Economy (My best F.C. was 15km/L on a 9-3 Aero)

- Top end power for track

- Torque for NSHW sheer overtaking power

mine was JWZ

hi.. whats the difference between the aero and linear? 9-3..

im a newbie to this brand..

just wanna find out more..

Aero more powerful, with uprated internals and suspension.

Neutral Newbie

Hi hi,

Chanced upon this Saab thread ..I'm toying e idea of getting a Saab 93 cabriolet linear .. Abt 6n half yrs old but just some queries eg, potential issues of soft top, mechanism, what to look out for during test drive or possible wear n tear for 6-7 yrs old cabrio

Also does it fit a baby sit? :)

All advices most welcomed..

• Praise 1

Nice to see many familiar nicknames here. The longer i owned this car the more i grow to appreciate it.

saab quite modable....

Have you sold your saab? Read that you have bought a w240?

Nice to see many familiar nicknames here. The longer i owned this car the more i grow to appreciate it.

yup , tia kong bro GS now ma se di liao.... :D

W211

Turbocharged

Super value SAAB, I think parf should be 55% right?

Owner got it wrong at 50%

Fast hand fast leg.....anyone?

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=460418&DL=1000

Price $29,500 Road Tax $1,210 / year qmark_red_18x18.png Transmission Auto spacer.gifEngine Cap 1,998 cc spacer.gifPower 129.0 kW (172 bhp) spacer.gifReg Date 22-Apr-2005 spacer.gifMileage 69,000 km spacer.gifFeatures Convertible Saab 9-3 Being Sold As Scrap Car By Owner. PARF Is $28,548. Asking $950 For The Body Only. Total Asking Price Only $29500 Or Best Offer. spacer.gifAccessories Original Power Is 172hp. Chip Reconfigured By Agent To 210 HP. spacer.gifDescription Fast Car And In Good Condition With Low Mileage As Owner Has 3 Cars. Convertible Hood In Good Condition. Turbo-charged. Car Scrap Value On 21 April 2015 Is $28548. Buyer May Collect Car On 10 April 2015, Ie 10 Days Before Scrap Date. Please Read The Advertisement Before Calling To Ask Me Information Which Is Already Stated In The Advertisement. spacer.gifCOE $17,990 qmark_red_18x18.png OMV $57,096