Open Speed Limit

Aaronlkl

yes. I must make a trip there someday.

Hahaha.. I remember u said u rode at >200km/h before.

Rode, drove all also got 250 and above on the meter. Bike hit limiter at 299.

But I never die leh. Or maybe I did and I'm posting from the afterlife and I just don't realise it yet :ph34r:

But yah please listen to the experts, speeding kills. You will die.

• Praise 3

(edited)

But I never die leh. Or maybe I did and I'm posting from the afterlife and I just don't realise it yet :ph34r:

I do agree speeding kills to a certain extend. But I don't speed blindly. If speed kills, there won't be any motorsports today.

Since you agrees with the experts that speed kills, u still rode to 299Km/h on 2 wheels [crazy][thumbsup]

Edited by Aaronlkl
  • Praise 5

Supersonic

But I think we also need to differentiate the driving competence of a BnB driver (as in driving strictly as a form of private alternative transport, not in terms of financial constraints).

From an enthusiasts standpoint, I would expect such motorist, to have greater competence in their overall ability to control the vehicle, go for advance driving courses and study the technicalities of situational awareness. Go fast & safe.

Assuming open speed limit is adopted, how many would have the competence & personal responsbility to operate his/her vehicle within his ability? If CTE is revised to a limit of 120kmh, Vios would be floaty....

If Vios took the initiative to take lane 2 to do 90, chances are he/she would get tail gated. In fact, the same may also happen on lane 3. Then theres Daihatsu Sirion with a kerb weight of just pass 900kg......at 90kmh, it doesnt feel quite planted.....

Next, we may say since u cant keep up, pls siam to lane 4/5. But again, chances are, these cars would be sandwiched between trucks & lorries (bad idea...). Not to mention the occasional debris that flies into the windscreen?

Thats one reason I suppose why angmo cars are built the way they are. Even w/o open speed limit, 120-140 is deemed as cruising which is a daily occurance. At Boleh, aside from the Savvy, Humble Cars like Persona 1.6 family sedan has a kerb weight of 1300 + "lotus engnr". The new Preve is 1.4 tons? I had an ex colleague who drove a Matrix 1.6. The FC of 7/8 per litre was killing him. During leh long coe, he upgraded to a Ford Focus 1.6. He claimed 10/litre. I asked him (hes PR from Boleh) since ur upgrading, why not go for Jippun with at least 12/L or even Jazz 1.3 with 13-14/Litre. Ans : I play golf at Boleh, Sometimes go back home town. NSHW, crosswinds, to certain destinations, there are twistys.....hence he wants something more sturdy with better handling.

Hence, iwt to have further increments to speed limits, most car models must be able to manage it. In view of our car density on the roads, its really going to be tiff. In Euro, the population of cars relative to road space has a much wider margin. May I add, slower pace of living, work, less rush, less impatience ?

I really thought the Changi Motor Sports Hub was a great idea. But alas, the stakeholders refuse to proceed with the G's backing (which I must admit was prudent at their end) less it becomes like the Singapore Tyre.

Would have been a great place to host events w/o inconveniency the financial district. Conduct track days, advance riding/driving courses. I am really disappointed as drive (ride again when it happens) 99.99% in Sin.

• Praise 2

I do agree speeding kills to a certain extend. But I don't speed blindly. If speed kills, there won't be any motorsports today.

Since you agrees with the experts that speed kills, u still rode to 299Km/h on 2 wheels [crazy][thumbsup]

Bro, he's being sardonic.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Autobahn now also alot of limits liao.

NSHW lo. But just be careful make sure no animals crossing the road, if have then better make sure they take bribes.

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

But I think we also need to differentiate the driving competence of a BnB driver (as in driving strictly as a form of private alternative transport, not in terms of financial constraints).

From an enthusiasts standpoint, I would expect such motorist, to have greater competence in their overall ability to control the vehicle, go for advance driving courses and study the technicalities of situational awareness. Go fast & safe.

Assuming open speed limit is adopted, how many would have the competence & personal responsbility to operate his/her vehicle within his ability? If CTE is revised to a limit of 120kmh, Vios would be floaty....

If Vios took the initiative to take lane 2 to do 90, chances are he/she would get tail gated. In fact, the same may also happen on lane 3. Then theres Daihatsu Sirion with a kerb weight of just pass 900kg......at 90kmh, it doesnt feel quite planted.....

Next, we may say since u cant keep up, pls siam to lane 4/5. But again, chances are, these cars would be sandwiched between trucks & lorries (bad idea...). Not to mention the occasional debris that flies into the windscreen?

Thats one reason I suppose why angmo cars are built the way they are. Even w/o open speed limit, 120-140 is deemed as cruising which is a daily occurance. At Boleh, aside from the Savvy, Humble Cars like Persona 1.6 family sedan has a kerb weight of 1300 + "lotus engnr". The new Preve is 1.4 tons? I had an ex colleague who drove a Matrix 1.6. The FC of 7/8 per litre was killing him. During leh long coe, he upgraded to a Ford Focus 1.6. He claimed 10/litre. I asked him (hes PR from Boleh) since ur upgrading, why not go for Jippun with at least 12/L or even Jazz 1.3 with 13-14/Litre. Ans : I play golf at Boleh, Sometimes go back home town. NSHW, crosswinds, to certain destinations, there are twistys.....hence he wants something more sturdy with better handling.

Hence, iwt to have further increments to speed limits, most car models must be able to manage it. In view of our car density on the roads, its really going to be tiff. In Euro, the population of cars relative to road space has a much wider margin. May I add, slower pace of living, work, less rush, less impatience ?

I really thought the Changi Motor Sports Hub was a great idea. But alas, the stakeholders refuse to proceed with the G's backing (which I must admit was prudent at their end) less it becomes like the Singapore Tyre.

Would have been a great place to host events w/o inconveniency the financial district. Conduct track days, advance riding/driving courses. I am really disappointed as drive (ride again when it happens) 99.99% in Sin.

I like the idea of having higher speed limits but when I realise the average drivers / cars may not be up to it, or with higher speeds the margins for errors reduce, therefore combining these two they may likely to result in more accidents n inquiries.

Having said this, there are still some roads and time zones, ie non peak hours, where/when the current speed limits seem low, but such cases are isolated.

This place is not big, going say at 20, 30kmh faster may not save a lot of time from A to B. KJE - going at higher speed than 90kmh for the entire length may save me 1-2 mins, not very critical for ordinary journeys except for emergencies?!

In terms of high speed driving pleasures, there's always a time n place for it ---- NSHW, B roads, tracks. A city state like sgp just can't provide such places, sadly.

Autobahn now also alot of limits liao.

NSHW lo. But just be careful make sure no animals crossing the road, if have then better make sure they take bribes.

LOL, what kind of brides you give them?? Bananas??

Edited by Super7

Turbocharged

Also, things that don't even move, or move slowly kill ---> lamp posts, trees, barriers, debris, crossing animals, etc.

Straight line speeds won't kill, only when they become sideway speeds, or multi-directional speeds eg spins, they may kill.

Turbocharged

They *have* actually said this recently, bro. Should we challenge them to reveal the results of those studies, and any evidence for outside expert consultation? :D

LTA always uses this excuse of studies, esp use of foreign experts. [thumbsdown]

One case in point: MCE exit into ECP in the direction of Changi is only 2 lanes (vs 3 lanes going to KPE) and thus a big jam of vehicles, esp during peak hours. The 3 lanes leading into KPE have very smooth and relatively much less traffic. LTA said the design was after studies (i think they mentioned use of foreign experts too). Obviously those blady experts are wrong, foreign or not.

LTA always uses this excuse of studies, esp use of foreign experts. [thumbsdown]

One case in point: MCE exit into ECP in the direction of Changi is only 2 lanes (vs 3 lanes going to KPE) and thus a big jam of vehicles, esp during peak hours. The 3 lanes leading into KPE have very smooth and relatively much less traffic. LTA said the design was after studies (i think they mentioned use of foreign experts too). Obviously those blady experts are wrong, foreign or not.

Depends on the expert. If it's an internationally-renowned authority known for fairness, then it should be OK.

However, if it's one of those "for sale" "experts", then you and I know what's going to happen.

Wonder which sort the gahmen have been using more frequently? :D

Turbocharged

Depends on the expert. If it's an internationally-renowned authority known for fairness, then it should be OK.

However, if it's one of those "for sale" "experts", then you and I know what's going to happen.

Wonder which sort the gahmen have been using more frequently? :D

companies tend to use the same set of consultants they are ok with, regardless of their track record. but the mce consultants and their analysis are basically LOUSY.

(edited)

Singapore should follow Finland's driving test. There is a Top Gear episode about it.

http://www.autokouluhakaniemi.fi/10

Finland has a three-phased driving school system: Basic Phase, Practising Phase and Advanced Phase.

The Basic Phase is training at the driving school. This includes theory classes, practical driving classes and the driving test. Usually, the basic phase takes around 3-6 months and after passing the practical driving test you will get your temporary drivers licence, which is valid for 2 years.

The Practising Phase is considered to be a time when you practice on your own, but you also come back to driving school for an evaluation and feedback. The Feedback period includes one theory class and two driving appointments. This is when we have a chance to talk about how your driving skills are developing and answer any questions you may have. The best time to complete the feedback period is 1-3 months after you have passed your driving test.

The Advanced Phase is when you have had your licence for around one year. The Advanced Phase includes a two-hour driving lesson focusing on safe and economical driving. After that, the next step is the slippery track practice with your own car. This includes practical exercises on the slippery track and indoor safety demonstrations. This takes about 5 hours to complete.

You will get your permanent drivers licence only after you have completed all the three phases of the driving school. The Police will then send you your permanent licence at the earliest 12 months after you have past your driving exam and completed the Practising Phase and Advanced Phase.

Edited by Pms
  • Praise 2

I believe its better/best to drive within the maximium torque of the engine, like flying a plane. [laugh] The maximium vehicle speed can ruin the engine sooner than expected. [lipsrsealed]

U are right in a way.. but i dun really care since i dun max the car out often.

• Praise 4

I believe its better/best to drive within the maximium torque of the engine, like flying a plane. [laugh] The maximium vehicle speed can ruin the engine sooner than expected. [lipsrsealed]

might as well take a taxi...you will save more! In SG cars have a life of oni 10 yrs....with proper servicing and maintenance car engine will last longer the 10 yrs unless u drive as though you are in an FIA Rally championship!
  • Praise 1

Master Planning. 30, 40, 50 yrs in advance ; and we do not have the full picture . My guess is that East Coast had already been almost fully developed , and the 3 lanes to KPE is to cater for further residential expansions in Sengkang, Punggol and Pasir Ris .

When Paya Lebar MRT was constructed in the early 80s, the foundations were set much deeper than necesssary . 25 yrs later , we hear news about an underground expressway KPE and it was subsequently constructed over and above the the MRT foundations.

When Changi T1 was built , the Gates were named C and D . Then when T2 was built , Gates E and F . When T3 was constructed more than 30 yrs later , you have Gates A and B . And VOILA , you look at the plans and Gates A,B,C,D,E and F all fall into place. Easily 50 yrs advance planning.

Did anyone raise any question why there were no Gates A and B for more than 30 years the airport was in operation before T3 was constructed ?

• Praise 1

I think with our technology now, it's not unfeasible to have variable speed limits for different drivers. Those who can, and willing, to take and pass an advanced drivers course (i.e. more and better skilled) are allowed to have a different limit from 'normal' drivers. The condition maybe is that this advanced drivers course has to be retaken maybe every five years, to ensure that the skills are upkept.

TP can easily identify who the driver is nowadays with camera technology, so identification should be no problem.

• Praise 1