Road trip around Europe

Ldlian987

I went on a road trip to Germany, Austria and Switzerland last December and thought I would share some photos with you guys. I booked a full size manual (3 series or similar) with Hertz but when I went to collect the car it was an Opel Insignia Stationwagen diesel instead. To be fair to Hertz during the booking process I specified I wanted a diesel as I would be travelling long distances and diesel is cheaper.

When I went to collect the car in Germany they said that there were no more diesels available except the Insignia (wonder if it's true?). I was anticipating to drive the 3 series or maybe the C class so I was slightly disappointed. But at least I got a diesel and they gave me a stationwagen (not like I needed the extra space anyway) to make up for the different group of car. Nonetheless the Insignia was a good car to drive and was rather stable at 200kph on the autobahn although it was slightly noisy at that speed. It had gd fuel consumption, however there was an issue with the car that I will explain later.

Here are some photos for you guys...

BMW museum in Munich
DSCF0008-1.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

more to come.....

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

i booked a a3 sportback and they gave me a golf tdi - thru europcar. refunded me some money later but yeah same as u, abit disappointed but i stil went on to do 200kmh on autobahn hehe

i booked a a3 sportback and they gave me a golf tdi - thru europcar. refunded me some money later but yeah same as u, abit disappointed but i stil went on to do 200kmh on autobahn hehe

How was the drive on the autobahn? I found it extremely fun and highly addictive and the German drivers really can drive. Every time the 'end of all restrictions' road sign appear it will be very shiok haha.

futuristic looking

DSCF0031.jpg

German tp

DSCF0035.jpg

Salzburg, Austria

DSCF0040.jpg

DSCF0042.jpg

I think there was a wedding ceremony going on nearby

DSCF0047.jpg

The view from Salzburg castle

DSCF0049.jpg

DSCF0050.jpg

DSCF0068.jpg

DSCF0073.jpg

Christmas markt

DSCF0076.jpg

Innsbruck, Austria

DSCF0084.jpg

The alps in Innsbruck. Had to drive a long way up the mountain

DSCF0085.jpg

DSCF0086.jpg

cable car going to the peak. I did not take the cable car as the weather did not look very good at the top.

DSCF0092.jpg

DSCF0093.jpg

I thought the view at night should be quite nice so I went back at night. There was almost no one there.

DSCF0100.jpg

After that I headed to my accommodation at night. Finding it was a challenge as it was located on another hill. I used my GPS app on my iphone to search for it and followed the route. The route became like an off-road kind of terrain but I thought it was the correct road because the accommodation reviews that I read for this place said that there road up was a challenging one.

However the road got worse and the more I climbed the more it did not feel right. The road was only the size of 1.5 car width and it looked like the kind of road for tractors because the sides of the road had a depression (where the tyres run) while the middle of the road was really high. So as I drove the scrapping sounds from the undercarriage were heard and I was thinking this can't be the road anymore.

As if things couldn't get worse I then encountered ice on the road. Luckily I was going slowly at that time but I felt the car lose grip at the front tyres. I stopped and tried to move off again but the front tyres were just spinning and traction control was activated. I was going nowhere and was stuck on a hill in the night with no lights (except my headlights) whatsoever; everything around me was just pitch black.

• Praise 2

The alps in Innsbruck. Had to drive a long way up the mountain

cable car going to the peak. I did not take the cable car as the weather did not look very good at the top.

I thought the view at night should be quite nice so I went back at night. There was almost no one there.

After that I headed to my accommodation at night. Finding it was a challenge as it was located on another hill. I used my GPS app on my iphone to search for it and followed the route. The route became like an off-road kind of terrain but I thought it was the correct road because the accommodation reviews that I read for this place said that there road up was a challenging one.

However the road got worse and the more I climbed the more it did not feel right. The road was only the size of 1.5 car width and it looked like the kind of road for tractors because the sides of the road had a depression (where the tyres run) while the middle of the road was really high. So as I drove the scrapping sounds from the undercarriage were heard and I was thinking this can't be the road anymore.

As if things couldn't get worse I then encountered ice on the road. Luckily I was going slowly at that time but I felt the car lose grip at the front tyres. I stopped and tried to move off again but the front tyres were just spinning and traction control was activated. I was going nowhere and was stuck on a hill in the night with no lights (except my headlights) whatsoever; everything around me was just pitch black.

if your drove SUV, should not be problem, look forward your next episode [:p]

btw, why did you book manual 3 series instead of auto?

did you travel alone or with your family

How was the drive on the autobahn? I found it extremely fun and highly addictive and the German drivers really can drive. Every time the 'end of all restrictions' road sign appear it will be very shiok haha.

haha it was good and smooth. act for me the traffic flow pushed me through. i was starting out w 120kmh on the most right but huge truckers were pushing me haha. then 2nd lane at 140-150, skodas and opels were pushing me and so on and so forth :D

pretty new golf only 11000 on odo they gave me.

autobahn driving [:p]. it was winter so no aircon and overall fc of 20km/l.

post-27857-0-54219000-1396403447_thumb.jpg

post-27857-0-62419300-1396403888.jpg

i mus say u r really adventurous. [thumbsup]

if your drove SUV, should not be problem, look forward your next episode [:p]

btw, why did you book manual 3 series instead of auto?

did you travel alone or with your family

I went alone haha. I prefer a saloon car rather than a SUV and manual because it is more fun to drive compared to auto especially on the winding roads. Anyway auto car rental is generally more ex than manual. :D

haha it was good and smooth. act for me the traffic flow pushed me through. i was starting out w 120kmh on the most right but huge truckers were pushing me haha. then 2nd lane at 140-150, skodas and opels were pushing me and so on and so forth :D

pretty new golf only 11000 on odo they gave me.

autobahn driving [:p]. it was winter so no aircon and overall fc of 20km/l.

Nice pictures. I had around the same FC as u and no aircon needed as well. But my car had already 43k km on the odo but it still felt alright. When I collected the car the exterior was rather dirty though and I told them and they said it is ok to return the car like this.

i mus say u r really adventurous. [thumbsup]

It was not until I returned from my trip when I realized that that was an extraordinary experience [bounce2]

Nobody been to Czech Republic before?  [sweatdrop]

I went to many money changers in SG but none carry Czech Crown.

All ask me to change upon arrival.

Does anyone know where is the best rate? Airport money changer? banks? [confused]

Supercharged

Does anyone know where is the best rate? Airport money changer? banks? [confused]

Very much doubt it will be the airport money changer.

If have to then change small amount there and wait until bank in town.

Off to Tuscany today.  Only need euros.

Very much doubt it will be the airport money changer.

If have to then change small amount there and wait until bank in town.

Off to Tuscany today.  Only need euros.

Many thanks for replying bro!

Have a nice trip!

U self drive?

• Praise 2

Was in Prague couple of years back and Euro was widely accepted. You can also use Euro to change to CZK when you are there.

Anyone been to Czech Republic?

How and where do u buy their currency?

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

change to usd or euros in sg

go czech to change to local currency

czech not with euro union?

• Praise 2

Bro

You can use the Euro, and yes, the best rates are on arrival. For big items, most price tags will have Euros. Tips will be accepted in Euros too.

The Crown isn't widely accepted and if you are really kiasu, you can buy it in London Heathrow or Frankfurt but it's ok really.

Rates in Europe are generally poor, so change only what you need.

As for VAT, note that you should budget at least 1 to 1.5 hours for the claims. If you are going to Prague, it's a very quaint nice place. You can pm me for an ops plan. I was there not too long ago. Cheers

• Praise 1

Bro

You can use the Euro, and yes, the best rates are on arrival. For big items, most price tags will have Euros. Tips will be accepted in Euros too.

The Crown isn't widely accepted and if you are really kiasu, you can buy it in London Heathrow or Frankfurt but it's ok really.

Rates in Europe are generally poor, so change only what you need.

As for VAT, note that you should budget at least 1 to 1.5 hours for the claims. If you are going to Prague, it's a very quaint nice place. You can pm me for an ops plan. I was there not too long ago. Cheers

Bro thanks for sharing. U mean I can use Euro throughout in Czech Republic? If that's the case, will save me lotsa trouble.

I'll be departing for Europe this weekend for 24 days. 1st 5 days in Czech Republic, next 5 days in Austria and the rest of the days in Germany. How many days did u spent in Prague? Do u self drive? Parking as problematic as in Paris? Yeah.. if u dun mind, pls PM me ur Czech itinerary. :D

↡ Advertisement