Less killed on roads, but can bikers do better?

Darthrevan

310314_TNP_bikers_0.jpg

We were too quick to congratulate ourselves.

February's announcement that biker and pillion deaths fell by four to 72 last year sounded like good news for bikers.
Yet any comfort the statistics provided has been tragically cut short.
The New Paper reported this week that there were 23 bike-related deaths within the first two months of this year.
In the same period for 2013 and 2012, the figures were 15 and 19 respectively.
We are too aware of the incidents. Social media networks are accident barometers.
Members in social media groups enthusiastically inform each other of any motorbike accidents they witness.
We show our solidarity by attending the wakes of fallen riders and post wishes online for a speedy recovery to the injured.
In addition, seasoned riders post riding tips so that others can avoid finding themselves in similar crash situations.
But the big question is, are we listening?
Bikers often neglect results from research like the 1981 Hurt Study - which looked into the cause of 900 motorcycle accidents in the Los Angeles area.
Researcher Harry Hurt discovered that a lack of attention "to the driving task" was common among motorcyclists who were involved in accidents.
A rider has "less than 2 seconds to complete all collision-avoidance action", he wrote.
In emergencies, most bikers over-braked, leading to them skidding; or under-braked the front wheel, which leads to bikes colliding at high speeds.
More than 30 years later in Singapore, The Hurt Report is a faded memory, and even common-sense advice to pay more attention on the roads appears to be falling on deaf ears.
Three common mistakes bikers here commit are: Failure to have proper control, not keeping a lookout and not obeying traffic light signals. This needs to change.
While the trend shows a general decline in annual bike-related fatalities since 2004, is it too grand a hope to see the figures fall even more?
Are we willing to let these deaths be just a statistic; or will we finally come to realise that more than 23 families have been needlessly devastated?
An overall decline in biker road deaths is encouraging, but offers nothing to cheer about. Every death is one too many.
MY SAFETY BUBBLE
For close to 25 years, I have managed to stay accident-free on our roads by riding within my safety "bubble".
I maintain this "bubble" by observing the "2-second rule", which dictates that I keep a safety distance of two seconds behind the vehicle in front.
In an emergency situation, I'll have enough time and space to brake safely or swerve.
It's also vital to protect the sides of your "bubble".
This is done by riding in the centre of a lane, which gives you a sizeable gap from the vehicle next to you.
Whenever some other motorist tries to penetrate your "bubble" - whether from the rear, front or side - just speed up or slow down.
--------------------------------------------
the above was written by a rider who can stay accident-free for 25 years which is an impressive record..he advocated 2 valid points, one which is the 2-second rule & most importantly riding in the centre of a lane which I personally think more than 70% of the riders did not adhere to
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I know it's near to impossible. But I feel 1 death on road is too much. Nobody deserves to lose their precious life like this.. When driving, think for your loved ones and other's..

• Praise 1

(edited)

A biker can secure his front/side bubble, but its the rear that a biker has no control from a sleepy, inexperience, distracted drivers who cannot brake on time or side swipe.

Edited by Amazon777
  • Praise 4

no use, as long as you are on the road the danger is always there.

last time I ride fast I hit someone when he turn out suddenly....

when I ride within road limits one female driver hit me from behind..

happens when driving also.....guess getting a tank then can solve all these problems.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Bikers know what they need to do to keep alive.

1. Ride in the centre of a lane within reasonable speed.

2. If you're slow, keep to the left, otherwise speed up to keep up with general flow of the traffic.

3. Weaving in and out of traffic will get yourself killed bcuz not everyone can see you coming from behind in between lanes.

4. Stop riding in stealth mode in a blind spot of a vehicle.

Having said that, not many bikers would want to do the above, until they go down on the ground and live to see another day.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Pruss one for motorbike thread.

Good that the article mentions The Hurt Report, too few people on this island know that it even exists.

For those interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_findings_in_the_Hurt_Report

Tip: The study was done in LA, so keep that in mind for the left vs right turns.

Edited by Myxilplix

then the bubble will burst

A biker can secure his front/side bubble, but its the rear that a biker has no control from a sleepy, inexperience, distracted drivers who cannot brake on time or side swipe.

Ask those biker not to squeeze between lane..

Not to come from left or right of the car when turning....

Who dun agree that above 2 point is dangerous..?

Be it bikers or drivers it's important to make predictable moves like signal and traveling within speed limits. Making unpredictable and sudden moves, traveling at high speeds make yourself at more risk at getting killed on the roads.

Twincharged

Ask those biker not to squeeze between lane..

Not to come from left or right of the car when turning....

Who dun agree that above 2 point is dangerous..?

It's very irritating that bikers keep want to squeeze on my left when I making left turn. I already keep as left as possible to prevent bikers to squeeze on left but they die die still want squeeze on left. At times I really don't know what those bikers are thinking.

• Praise 2