Grab/Ryde issues and charges

Yamapi

Many thanks. This would be like those MPV we took in Italy to the airport. Our MPV driver dressed like he was attending a formal meeting.

uber x requirements for the cars,

saloon, suv or mpv

4 or 5 doors

2005 or newer

no colour requirements

uber exec requirements for the cars,

7 series/s class (2008 or newer)

5 series/e class (black colour, 2012 or newer)

alphard/vellfire (black colour, 2012 or newer)

Once your car gets registered as commercial vehicle, you will lose all the parf rebates?

No ur parf rebates stay intact. Only problem u need to reg ur car under co name

No company then how ah?

quote name="Atankh" post="5321288" timestamp="1414062879"]

When u want to partner with Uber, u need to submit all the documents required by them. They will screen whether u have any

criminal records. U have 2 options is either to register your car under commercial license insurance or rent a car from rental co which Uber will recommend u. After which they will schedule a time to go for an interview. Once all is done Uber will issue u a phone to act as gps and app.

I'm actually a Uber driver and a passanger, so probably I will try to go in detail about it. Some of the policies I've heard from other Uber drivers totally disses me off.

Disclaimer: If you think you're going to feel offended reading on, then please click on the "X" button on the right side of the screen or skip this post. It's just my 2 cents worth.

As a Uber passenger (based on last week):

Basically, it's totally advantageous to use Uber, for me, if like at any point of the day, if the taxis are changing shifts or in peak traffic (i.e.: 10am-ish or between 4.30pm to 7pm), we all know that it's the hardest time to catch a cab. If you really need to be quick and if by chance, you're at a prime area (i.e.: CBD, downtown), getting Uber (regardless UberX or UberExec) is always the easiest. I'm usually quite particular, so sometimes even if there's a faint 'smoke smell' or if it's too dirty, I'd rate the driver 3 or 4 stars. If all is clean and good, I'll rate him 5 stars, basically it's a two-way traffic, you rate the driver and the driver also rate you at the end of the trip.

Of course when taking Uber, I give the driver the benefit of doubt which route to take because bearing in mind, not all Uber drivers are taxi drivers, though majority of them are. If they turn a wrong junction or whatsoever, I will just direct them the right route and ask them to do a 'fare-adjustment' (which they have access to at the end of every trip) to adjust the trip meter. So far I've accumulated about 5 trips to date, only tried UberExec once, and I must say that most rides are pretty good, just that most UberX cars do not have proper upkeep and it's a very simple mentality for the drivers - car is just a tool bringing people from Point A to B.

Probably can shoot me down for being a blabber-mouth but if I feel that the car is not safe (sometimes you hear brake screeches or very loud rolling sound above 60km/h) I will tell the driver that either his car should just go back to the workshop and change the parts or if the car is from a rental company, to swap for a better condition car. As a passenger sometimes, I feel that my life is in the driver's hands and if basic proper maintenance is not well done, then why risk driving the car out and start ferrying passengers?

As a UberX Driver:

Personally I worked in the automotive (rental and leasing industry) and have actually started to explore this market myself. Having heard of Uber before, I have decided to try out driving 'part-time' during my own free days (if the car is not rented out) and probably earn a little bit of income. Honestly, it's like driving a taxi, but in the luxury of your own vehicle and you can drive at your own free time. For the first few days I was a little bothered by 'the guilt' whether if I was snatching cabbie's uncle rice bowl but ultimately, it's the survival of the fittest in this day and age, everyone will do anything to bring bread home to put on the table.

So as an introduction, I was asked to go to Uber HQ along Mohd. Sultan Rd for an introduction of everything i.e.:

1) How it works

2) What's the pay-out like

3) How much they take from you (commission)

4) Admin things to do for the vehicle (i.e.: ACRA, road tax, insurance)

So basically my car's operating cost is at least 3x the normal car on the road, because it has to be properly covered (comprehensive incl passengers), it runs on petrol (i regretted having a Mazda 3 as the first car...) and have to be under a registered company (Sole prop is ok as well).

So after that, I went for a 2nd interview and they passed me a iPhone (or Uber's handset so to speak), which has a customized Uber UI. It's really simple and intuitive, though I heard from other drivers that some of their phones went into 'freeze mode' or hangs at times, mine just kinda screwed me once, but didn't do much damage to my earnings though.

My experience so far has been pretty interesting and exciting, because someday you pick up young chaps (look like students having holidays) and they start b****ing to you on there's no cab and no Uber and you're like their savior..., and I will be like WTF?! Some angmohs (my riders are mostly 70% angmohs) and start mooching and kissing at the back of your car while driving them to their destination, and I've had my fair share of local riders as well. Basically I still feel that our local riders need to speak up as there was once, there's this young chap who wanted to travel to Paragon, I asked for a possible route detour when CTE was jammed up from PIE (it was Sunday around 12pm). He agreed and I went through the next exit by Stevens Road. After I dropped him off, I noticed that my rating dropped significantly!

So basically on an average "a-ok" day, I probably can take home around $80 to $100 for a 6 to 8 hour job, so Uber to a certain degree says that you can earn about $10/hr? Its possible, but depends whether you're in luck. On drier days probably you take home about $30, sometimes less than $20 even.

Highest I've taken home so far was about $150, which was last week's free ride day. Insane period I must say, even taking a longer route doesn't concern them.

PS: To the guy if you're reading, if you have an original intended route, please let me know when I ask you, and don't ask me to follow the GPS, I did ask you before I started the journey.

And then eventually there was this rude surprise that happened when I picked up a fellow UberTaxi driver, he basically said that:

1) No commissions drawn from him

2) Still get to earn that surcharges (midnight, peak, airport etc.)

3) Best of all, can run on multiple applications (Grab, Easy and Uber or probably even more)

I understand that some UberX Drivers can take home about $2k or $3k after deducting commissions, but that's like working 30 full days with at least 10 hours a day. MIND YOU 10 HOURS A DAY MIGHT AS WELL DRIVE TAXI RIGHT? You probably get to earn even more driving a cab and you get to pick up people using the apps, and also flag down passangers. Driving a taxi is definitely a double-edged sword.

As for now, probably just LLST do UberX, since my base is still in its infancy and need to obviously pay off errands, but until when the car is fully utilized at its peak, UberX as a full time job? I advise aspiring drivers out there to think twice. It's definitely not a very stable job since the base here is not very high as compared to the States, but judging at the situation, UberX is just a stepping stone for them to ride on UberTaxis. Even if this post, word gets out and UberX drivers decided that "I've decided not to work for Uber tomorrow", the impact is definitely minimal since their main priority is riding on UberTaxi (possibly killing off competition i.e.: Grab and Easy) and UberExec.

At the end of the day, I'm only a driver, a part time driver. My earnings don't really matter to them, I should say. After hearing from UberTaxi drivers how do I feel? Betrayed? Definitely. Will I continue working for them? Maybe? Long term career prospect? Wishful thinking.

As much as this post justifies to you or not, its actually just for your reading pleasure.

As a passanger, Uber ON!

Anyone here already joined the legalised "pirate" teksi gang?

Walau... I surrender

Edited by IronIIoxide
  • Praise 8

I'm actually a Uber driver and a passanger, so probably I will try to go in detail about it. Some of the policies I've heard from other Uber drivers totally disses me off.

Disclaimer: If you think you're going to feel offended reading on, then please click on the "X" button on the right side of the screen or skip this post. It's just my 2 cents worth.

As a Uber passenger (based on last week):

Basically, it's totally advantageous to use Uber, for me, if like at any point of the day, if the taxis are changing shifts or in peak traffic (i.e.: 10am-ish or between 4.30pm to 7pm), we all know that it's the hardest time to catch a cab. If you really need to be quick and if by chance, you're at a prime area (i.e.: CBD, downtown), getting Uber (regardless UberX or UberExec) is always the easiest. I'm usually quite particular, so sometimes even if there's a faint 'smoke smell' or if it's too dirty, I'd rate the driver 3 or 4 stars. If all is clean and good, I'll rate him 5 stars, basically it's a two-way traffic, you rate the driver and the driver also rate you at the end of the trip.

Of course when taking Uber, I give the driver the benefit of doubt which route to take because bearing in mind, not all Uber drivers are taxi drivers, though majority of them are. If they turn a wrong junction or whatsoever, I will just direct them the right route and ask them to do a 'fare-adjustment' (which they have access to at the end of every trip) to adjust the trip meter. So far I've accumulated about 5 trips to date, only tried UberExec once, and I must say that most rides are pretty good, just that most UberX cars do not have proper upkeep and it's a very simple mentality for the drivers - car is just a tool bringing people from Point A to B.

Probably can shoot me down for being a blabber-mouth but if I feel that the car is not safe (sometimes you hear brake screeches or very loud rolling sound above 60km/h) I will tell the driver that either his car should just go back to the workshop and change the parts or if the car is from a rental company, to swap for a better condition car. As a passenger sometimes, I feel that my life is in the driver's hands and if basic proper maintenance is not well done, then why risk driving the car out and start ferrying passengers?

As a UberX Driver:

Personally I worked in the automotive (rental and leasing industry) and have actually started to explore this market myself. Having heard of Uber before, I have decided to try out driving 'part-time' during my own free days (if the car is not rented out) and probably earn a little bit of income. Honestly, it's like driving a taxi, but in the luxury of your own vehicle and you can drive at your own free time. For the first few days I was a little bothered by 'the guilt' whether if I was snatching cabbie's uncle rice bowl but ultimately, it's the survival of the fittest in this day and age, everyone will do anything to bring bread home to put on the table.

So as an introduction, I was asked to go to Uber HQ along Mohd. Sultan Rd for an introduction of everything i.e.:

1) How it works

2) What's the pay-out like

3) How much they take from you (commission)

4) Admin things to do for the vehicle (i.e.: ACRA, road tax, insurance)

So basically my car's operating cost is at least 3x the normal car on the road, because it has to be properly covered (comprehensive incl passengers), it runs on petrol (i regretted having a Mazda 3 as the first car...) and have to be under a registered company (Sole prop is ok as well).

So after that, I went for a 2nd interview and they passed me a iPhone (or Uber's handset so to speak), which has a customized Uber UI. It's really simple and intuitive, though I heard from other drivers that some of their phones went into 'freeze mode' or hangs at times, mine just kinda screwed me once, but didn't do much damage to my earnings though.

My experience so far has been pretty interesting and exciting, because someday you pick up young chaps (look like students having holidays) and they start b****ing to you on there's no cab and no Uber and you're like their savior..., and I will be like WTF?! Some angmohs (my riders are mostly 70% angmohs) and start mooching and kissing at the back of your car while driving them to their destination, and I've had my fair share of local riders as well. Basically I still feel that our local riders need to speak up as there was once, there's this young chap who wanted to travel to Paragon, I asked for a possible route detour when CTE was jammed up from PIE (it was Sunday around 12pm). He agreed and I went through the next exit by Stevens Road. After I dropped him off, I noticed that my rating dropped significantly!

So basically on an average "a-ok" day, I probably can take home around $80 to $100 for a 6 to 8 hour job, so Uber to a certain degree says that you can earn about $10/hr? Its possible, but depends whether you're in luck. On drier days probably you take home about $30, sometimes less than $20 even.

Highest I've taken home so far was about $150, which was last week's free ride day. Insane period I must say, even taking a longer route doesn't concern them.

PS: To the guy if you're reading, if you have an original intended route, please let me know when I ask you, and don't ask me to follow the GPS, I did ask you before I started the journey.

And then eventually there was this rude surprise that happened when I picked up a fellow UberTaxi driver, he basically said that:

1) No commissions drawn from him

2) Still get to earn that surcharges (midnight, peak, airport etc.)

3) Best of all, can run on multiple applications (Grab, Easy and Uber or probably even more)

I understand that some UberX Drivers can take home about $2k or $3k after deducting commissions, but that's like working 30 full days with at least 10 hours a day. MIND YOU 10 HOURS A DAY MIGHT AS WELL DRIVE TAXI RIGHT? You probably get to earn even more driving a cab and you get to pick up people using the apps, and also flag down passangers. Driving a taxi is definitely a double-edged sword.

As for now, probably just LLST do UberX, since my base is still in its infancy and need to obviously pay off errands, but until when the car is fully utilized at its peak, UberX as a full time job? I advise aspiring drivers out there to think twice. It's definitely not a very stable job since the base here is not very high as compared to the States, but judging at the situation, UberX is just a stepping stone for them to ride on UberTaxis. Even if this post, word gets out and UberX drivers decided that "I've decided not to work for Uber tomorrow", the impact is definitely minimal since their main priority is riding on UberTaxi (possibly killing off competition i.e.: Grab and Easy) and UberExec.

At the end of the day, I'm only a driver, a part time driver. My earnings don't really matter to them, I should say. After hearing from UberTaxi drivers how do I feel? Betrayed? Definitely. Will I continue working for them? Maybe? Long term career prospect? Wishful thinking.

As much as this post justifies to you or not, its actually just for your reading pleasure.

As a passanger, Uber ON!

Walau... I surrender

Uber should be just a sideline and not a fulltime job.

Uber should be just a sideline and not a fulltime job.

Well, some people like to take it as a 'no-strings attached, liberal' kinda job. It's just my 2 cents worth of opinion, not a $2 million opinion, so whether they listen it's ultimately up to them...

Well, some people like to take it as a 'no-strings attached, liberal' kinda job. It's just my 2 cents worth of opinion, not a $2 million opinion, so whether they listen it's ultimately up to them...

Previously they are not so strict with vehicle requirements but now is a different story with uber exec car requirement with 2012 or newer and have to be black.

No company then how ah?

quote name="Atankh" post="5321288" timestamp="1414062879"]

When u want to partner with Uber, u need to submit all the documents required by them. They will screen whether u have any

criminal records. U have 2 options is either to register your car under commercial license insurance or rent a car from rental co which Uber will recommend u. After which they will schedule a time to go for an interview. Once all is done Uber will issue u a phone to act as gps and app.

i still think its unsafe. one without criminal records does not mean the passenger can entrust his/her life with him. what if that guy turned out to be some psycho guy who answers Uber calls and pick up potential victims? since all it takes to be a Uber driver is a valid driving licence, owns car with valid car insurance, clean criminal records and passes Uber's interview.

unlike taxi drivers who needs to pass through exams etc to get that taxi licence?

then again, anything can happen.. just like the psycho taxi serial killer from HK long time ago.

• Praise 2

This is like ba wang che all over again. No regulation somemore.

no nmore liao!!!!

Govt come and regulate liao [laugh]

http://transport.asiaone.com/news/general/story/regulations-keep-cab-booking-apps-lane

Regulations to keep cab-booking apps in lane
20141023_grabtaxi_st.jpg
Monday, Nov 24, 2014
Adrian Lim
The Straits Times

Third-party cab-booking apps such as GrabTaxi and Uber will be subject to a regulatory framework next year, to ensure commuters are charged fairly and that only licensed taxis and drivers use the service.

Companies behind these apps will have to register with the Land Transport Authority (LTA) to operate here. Every successful application will be valid for three years.

The LTA announced the regulations yesterday, saying they will safeguard commuter safety and interests.

Failing to comply could result in penalties of up to $100,000 for each contravention, and in severe cases, the companies' registrations may be revoked.

App companies and experts said the framework will provide more clarity for the industry.

Mr Lim Kell Jay, GrabTaxi's Singapore general manager, said such apps are now "formally acknowledged as a legitimate service that helps commuters".

Most operate independently of taxi companies' own booking systems and have been chipping away at their booking revenues.

At least five such taxi-booking services have launched here in the past two years, with the latest, Hailo, entering the market only last month.

The LTA said the apps "facilitate more efficient matching of taxis with commuters" and have become increasingly popular.

The new regulations are expected to kick in by the second quarter of next year. Under the framework, information on fare rates and surcharges must be provided to the passengers upfront before they accept the taxi.

Bidding and pre-tipping will not be permitted. To prevent taxi drivers from choosing passengers, apps must not require them to specify their destinations before booking.

Most app companies said they already comply with the regulations. Easy Taxi Singapore's co-founder and managing director Jianggan Li said the app will change such that the destination is not mandatory.

With the new framework in place, SIM University's urban transport management expert Park Byung Joon said investors will have more certainty when they put money into these technology apps - spurring the market to grow further.

Last month, GrabTaxi said that it had raised US$90 million (S$117 million) this year alone from venture capitalists.

GrabTaxi and Uber also offer chauffeur services. Under the upcoming framework, there must be clear distinction between these services using separate and distinct icons.

[email protected]

st_logo.jpg

This article was first published on November 22, 2014.

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Rape and Uber banned

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-30374070

Authorities in the Indian capital, Delhi, have banned international taxi-booking service Uber after a driver allegedly raped a female passenger.

A transport department official said the company had been "blacklisted" for "misleading customers".

The 26-year-old woman used the smartphone app to take a taxi home on Friday but says she was taken to a secluded area and raped.

The driver has been remanded in custody for three days.

He was arrested on Sunday and appeared in court on Monday afternoon.

Some who had gathered outside the court tried to attack him as he was brought out, but police rushed him to a waiting van and took him away.

Police say will charge him with raping the finance company employee on Friday night when she used the taxi to take her home from a restaurant.

Uber, which is growing in popularity in India, has been accused of failing to conduct adequate checks on its drivers.

g2HgZvu.png

不满被限制在两个停车位载客,50多名豪华德士司机昨晚到机场,被指制造“车龙”堵住车道,以示抗议。

《新明日报》接到消息,指樟宜机场第一大厦昨天实施新条例,将德士划分为“豪华德士”和“普通德士”,以舒缓车道阻塞的问题,从下午3时至凌晨1时30到樟宜机场第一搭客大厦载客必须绕道排队。岂料,条例实施后,受影响的德士司机不满,被指纷纷相约到机场排队,宣泄不满。

一名不愿具名的德士司机透露,在这个时段,克莱斯勒(Chrysler)、丰田Vellfire、MaxiCab和马赛地(Merc)都被归类为“豪华德士”,载客时出现了许多限制。

据了解,德士停车位旁也竖立起告示牌,说明豪华德士与普通德士的不同价格,以免游客产生误解。

完整报道,请翻阅09.12.2014《新明日报》。

• Praise 2

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/singaporeseen/this-urban-jungle/how-is-this-possible-stompers-cab-fare-from-sentosa-to-woodlands-costs-195

How is this possible? Stomper's cab fare from Sentosa to Woodlands costs $195

Posted on 01 January 2015 | 6,633 views | 8 comments

Stomper David is unsure how he racked up a tab of $195 for a cab ride from Sentosa to Woodlands in the early hours of this morning (Jan 1).

The Stomper had booked the taxi through the Uber app.

He had also made a stop at Lakeside to drop his girlfriend off.

In a phone conversation with Stomp, the Stomper said:

"Yesterday, my girlfriend and I went to the countdown party at Siloso Beach, Sentosa.

"We took the shuttle bus back from Sentosa to the HarbourFront interchange.

"Seeing so many people queuing up for a cab at the taxi stand, I decided to use the Uber app to book a taxi ride home.

"The driver first dropped my girlfriend off at Lakeside, then ended the trip at Woodlands. This was at about 5 something this morning.

"I did ask the driver about the pricing, but he told me that it was calculated via the US site using GPS.

"In the end, the tab added up to a grand sum of $195.

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/singaporeseen/sites/default/files/public/article/images/featured/2015/01/ubermain.jpg

"Also, I was warned of a double charge (as you can see in the screengrab) before I proceeded with the booking, but proceeded with it anyway as I didn't think it will add up to this figure."

Edited by Mercs
  • Praise 5

Checked the receipt. Something goes wrong with the calculation.

Travel time 17.88????? Minutes or hours????

Distance 72.75km.

Doesn't make sense at all.

post-142164-0-39440900-1420157913_thumb.png

• Praise 2

hahaha uber surge pricing FTW!!!

Have lah .. ba wang che got no insurance or registration one ..

Never tried in Singapore, but very common in the U.S. Guess private cars + commercial insurance are too expensive in Singapore for private owners to make much $$ from doing part-time.

if say a electrical contractor drives his own car to work at client place, he doesnt need commercial insurance on his vehicle n so register under his coy right?

Checked the receipt. Something goes wrong with the calculation.

Travel time 17.88????? Minutes or hours????

Distance 72.75km.

Doesn't make sense at all.

This is the uber formula of calculation, really a rip off.

Hope authority look into this like some countries that ban this apps.

Uber vehicles impounded in South Africa
Reuters Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015
SAN FRANCISCO - Police in Cape Town, South Africa, impounded 33 Uber vehicles over the weekend in a dispute over what type of permits drivers should hold, an Uber executive said.
Uber has faced regulatory setbacks all over the world in recent months. Last month, it drew bans in France, Spain and the Netherlands. It was also banned in Delhi after a female passenger there claimed an Uber driver had raped her.
Drivers for the service, which offers rides that customers can summon from a smartphone app, need an operating license under national law, said Alon Lits, general manager for Durban and Johannesburg.
But individual South African cities have called for different subcategories of the license. In Cape Town, after several months of discussion with Uber, officials decided late last year on a metered-taxi license.
Drivers have since had trouble obtaining that license because of requirements they submit a business case and other issues, Lits said.
A spokesman for the Cape Town police did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Uber continues to operate in Cape Town, and some of the impounded cars have already been released, Lits said. "As far as we're concerned, it's still business as usual,"Lits said. "We're committed to engaging with the city, and creating a clear route to licensing.

↡ Advertisement