Grab/Ryde issues and charges

Yamapi

Saturday evening i decided to hop into a cab instead of getting an uber from Star Vista to my home. I was reminded why i haven't taken a taxi in months. The trip was about 25% more expensive ($8 for Uber vs $10 for the taxi ride) and the taxi driver kept trying to turn the wrong way to make a bigger loop even after i told him where to go.

↡ Advertisement

Saturday evening i decided to hop into a cab instead of getting an uber from Star Vista to my home. I was reminded why i haven't taken a taxi in months. The trip was about 25% more expensive ($8 for Uber vs $10 for the taxi ride) and the taxi driver kept trying to turn the wrong way to make a bigger loop even after i told him where to go.

But same is true of Uber as well... they are so beholden to the app gps that sometimes they don't take a better route even when you tell them... 

Anyway, my wife takes Uber more than me... and she's had to deal with some new kids driving Uber with zero knowledge about the streets... and one taking an illegal u-turn in a frankly unsafe junction. This past week, she's also had the misfortune of waiting for almost 40 mins for an Uber... 1st booking went round and round for 25 mins and finally asked her to cancel it (she was charged $6 for that... though that charge was reversed once she complained)... whereas the 2nd booking after that came in a bit over 10 mins.

With all these headaches... she also had the pleasure of travelling with some real gems. Like this

post-46412-0-06824700-1479169016_thumb.jpeg

• Praise 3

But same is true of Uber as well... they are so beholden to the app gps that sometimes they don't take a better route even when you tell them... 

Anyway, my wife takes Uber more than me... and she's had to deal with some new kids driving Uber with zero knowledge about the streets... and one taking an illegal u-turn in a frankly unsafe junction. This past week, she's also had the misfortune of waiting for almost 40 mins for an Uber... 1st booking went round and round for 25 mins and finally asked her to cancel it (she was charged $6 for that... though that charge was reversed once she complained)... whereas the 2nd booking after that came in a bit over 10 mins.

With all these headaches... she also had the pleasure of travelling with some real gems. Like this

Sienta is just normal UberX right?  i took one 2 days ago.

Yes. I took one a few weeks ago. Very comfortable.

1 week later, I took Attrage. I got  :a-confused: after only 10 minutes.

Sienta quite common for UberX but i got one when i requested for an UberXL as well. I don't find it particularly comfortable, seatback quite upright.

I find the vezel to be pretty comfy for UberX, suprisingly. I've also gotten small contis like the C200, 320i and IS250 with UberX before but only the c-class was comfy, the 3-series and IS250 too cramped in the back.

What pisses me off is when i get a frickin van (Viano/Vellfire/etc) when i order an UberExec.

Yes. I took one a few weeks ago. Very comfortable.

1 week later, I took Attrage. I got  :a-confused: after only 10 minutes.

Attrage so uncomfortable?

European court takes up the question: what is Uber?

Is Uber a transport company or a digital service? The European Court of Justice will take up this question on Tuesday when it hears a long-awaited case that will have deep ramifications for both the $63bn ride-hailing app and the so-called “sharing economy” as a whole.

If Uber is purely digital, then it has the right to establish its business easily across the EU. But if it is a typical transport company, then it can be regulated far more tightly — or even banned — by each of the bloc’s 28 members.

The court’s decision will directly affect a host of internet companies that connect independent workers directly with consumers, including Airbnb, Deliveroo and Hassle, and have often attracted regulatory clampdowns.

https://www.ft.com/content/f2774c9a-b566-11e6-ba85-95d1533d9a62

It's still primarily a "transportation" company, just like NVOCC/freight forwarder which don't own any vessel or transportation assets.

Yes, should be stringently regulated.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

It's still primarily a "transportation" company, just like NVOCC/freight forwarder which don't own any vessel or transportation assets.

Yes, should be stringently regulated.

ya lor, Uber got wheels and using public roads to get paying customers from point A to point B, its transportation lor.

dunno why like this they still need to debate.

maybe my mind too simple.  [:p]

Sienta quite common for UberX but i got one when i requested for an UberXL as well. I don't find it particularly comfortable, seatback quite upright.

I find the vezel to be pretty comfy for UberX, suprisingly. I've also gotten small contis like the C200, 320i and IS250 with UberX before but only the c-class was comfy, the 3-series and IS250 too cramped in the back.

What pisses me off is when i get a frickin van (Viano/Vellfire/etc) when i order an UberExec.

You get all sort of cars from uberX. Sometimes even you can get C class on uberX.

Yes.

Or could be the driving style of the driver.

The driver driving habit and style is important. And most of the time it is not due to what car it is.

I keep hearing feedback from friends now that Uber can be more expensive than cab during the peak hours. Uber now doesn't show the surge charges.
↡ Advertisement