Grab/Ryde issues and charges

Yamapi

Supersonic

For grab really fare is fix? Even uber also would adjusted the fare depends on the route and timing taken.

So far all my Grab rides are fixed fare.

Only thing I add is ERP charges.

↡ Advertisement

actually everyone has been asking how these PHV company make money, giving promotion code to passenger, charging lower taxi, giving incentive bonus to driver, etc. Which company exist to provide all these and not making money?  What is monopoly when they can't even make money?

Even with competitors like before Uber Grab, both are doing the same thing and bleed together. A few time i try to book uber/grab, their quote were reasonably low, but i decided to take the taxi that was already in the queue waiting for passenger, i paid almost double the quote. 

actually everyone has been asking how these PHV company make money, giving promotion code to passenger, charging lower taxi, giving incentive bonus to driver, etc. Which company exist to provide all these and not making money? What is monopoly when they can't even make money?

Even with competitors like before Uber Grab, both are doing the same thing and bleed together. A few time i try to book uber/grab, their quote were reasonably low, but i decided to take the taxi that was already in the queue waiting for passenger, i paid almost double the quote.

Currently, these biz is surviving on capital injection. They need to burn $$$ to capture mkt share.

From my perspective, the competition has always been btw PHV & Taxi.

Consumers alway switch btw these 2 services. There is no monopoly.

If taxi company want business past midnight, they should cancel the midnight surcharge. Lol.

Midnight surcharge to attract taxi drivers.

Promo code to attract riders.

For grab really fare is fix? Even uber also would adjusted the fare depends on the route and timing taken.

Yes. Fix. That differentiate Uber driver from Grab.So do not blame Grab driver if they insist GPS route. You want cheap ride, drivers want cash to feed family. Works both ways.

Yup cash ride. I just don't like cash fare. Everytime I see cash ride, I Sian half. I believe if riders pay by card had higher chance of getting the ride match as driver can also see whether is it cash or grabpay. Many drivers I believe see cash and especially during morning and evening peak hour will reject. For me I will accept any calls that come, just that I Sian half only.

Yeah cash rides very sian one. Uber don't even have the choice to choose.

I think Uber for ang mo is more for convenience, something they are familiar with, as they can use it in other countries.

Yeah, Uber is universal, available in many ang moh countries. So for ang moh they will prefer it as same app and more convenient.

Yes. Fix. That differentiate Uber driver from Grab.So do not blame Grab driver if they insist GPS route. You want cheap ride, drivers want cash to feed family. Works both ways.

There are occasions that the gps route lead us on a much bigger loop. If I am not familiar with the route, I would have to follow the gps. Otherwise , I will divert from the gps route. 

Supersonic

Gps route is also debatable.

Pickup rider from Turf Club to go Ardmore Park.

Gps tells me to go Eng Neo, PIE, back to Stevens Rd

Bukit Timah Rd was jammed at that time. But PIE incurred a $1.50 ERP.

Then rider not happy, have to pay extra $1.50.

So what now ? Go straight into the jam and she happy to get jammed for maybe half hour or more, but no need pay $1.50 extra ?

As a rider, she didn't mentioned the route to take in the first place. If she had insisted on Bukit Timah Rd jam, I'd obliged.

Supersonic

I spoke to 2 riders today regarding Uber winding down.

I ask one (Uber), and he told me he prefers Uber bcuz it's easier to use. He didn't mention the fare.

The 2nd one (Grab) text me and thank me for accepting his ride. Huh ?

I didn't do anything special. Then he told me he had been waiting for 20 mins and no Grab riders. He mentioned Uber cannot see destination. And so it appears, many Grab drivers looking at his destination Jurong West (pickup in City) does not suit them.

But it was nothing for me. After I dropped him off at Jurong West, a few minutes later, got another rider to Woodlands. Then it's a destination drive back to Yishun for me, and close shop for the night. [:p]

Edited by Kb27

I spoke to 2 riders today regarding Uber winding down.

I ask one (Uber), and he told me he prefers Uber bcuz it's easier to use. He didn't mention the fare.

The 2nd one (Grab) text me and thank me for accepting his ride. Huh ?

I didn't do anything special. Then he told me he had been waiting for 20 mins and no Grab riders. He mentioned Uber cannot see destination. And so it appears, many Grab drivers looking at his destination Jurong West (pickup in City) does not suit them.

But it was nothing for me. After I dropped him off at Jurong West, a few minutes later, got another rider to Woodlands. Then it's a destination drive back to Yishun for me, and close shop for the night. [:p]

You never cherry pick rider right?

How's your calls these few days. Very slow or still okay?

BTW seriously, grab really need to do something about those cherry pick drivers. It's precisely because of these drivers that cause many people do not want to use grab.

Grab should either hide rider drop off location until driver click start trip or up AR from 30% to 50%. If not grab slowly will lose out due to many riders get fed up with grab keep book and no drivers.

Edited by Yewheng

Supersonic

You never cherry pick rider right?

How's your calls these few days. Very slow or still okay?

BTW seriously, grab really need to do something about those cherry pick drivers. It's precisely because of these drivers that cause many people do not want to use grab.

Grab should either hide rider drop off location until driver click start trip or up AR from 30% to 50%. If not grab slowly will lose out due to many riders get fed up with grab keep book and no drivers.

I want to cherry pick, but it hasn't been necessary this week. Still maintaining 100% AR, 0% CR. [laugh]

Grab is slow (super slow) at certain times. So I switched over to Uber and Uber still keeps pinging.

But I'm trying to go for Grab's incentive, which is difficult 140 trips for $400 this week. Not enough trips, how to hit 140 ?

And I still need to sleep a few hours at least.

Edited by Kb27

Most Ex Uber drivers carrying over to Grab platform wont cherry pick. However, after few months, they will do the same no matter what. Especially when their bread not enough on the table. Facts of life.

There are occasions that the gps route lead us on a much bigger loop. If I am not familiar with the route, I would have to follow the gps. Otherwise , I will divert from the gps route.

Fully agree. Especially routes going from west to AMK. Tend to guide wrongly. Ever one time tried to bring me via AYE - CTE. Crazy.

So far all my Grab rides are fixed fare.

Only thing I add is ERP charges.

Not so far. Its always, and will always be. Thats the reason their fare is whole numbers, comparing to Uber fares having cents.

Yeah cash rides very sian one. Uber don't even have the choice to choose.

Yeah, Uber is universal, available in many ang moh countries. So for ang moh they will prefer it as same app and more convenient.

Also dont need to b fiddling with silly small change when alighting at busy streets. Just open door and buzz off.

Gps route is also debatable.

Pickup rider from Turf Club to go Ardmore Park.

Gps tells me to go Eng Neo, PIE, back to Stevens Rd

Bukit Timah Rd was jammed at that time. But PIE incurred a $1.50 ERP.

Then rider not happy, have to pay extra $1.50.

So what now ? Go straight into the jam and she happy to get jammed for maybe half hour or more, but no need pay $1.50 extra ?

As a rider, she didn't mentioned the route to take in the first place. If she had insisted on Bukit Timah Rd jam, I'd obliged.

I find Grab drivers usually will follow GPS route or the shortest route, and they would not ask which route rider wants to take, Uber drivers somehow would ask rider any preference route they like. So if the road that is shorten but need to pay maybe $6 ERP per gantry along the road, grab driver would not bother so much even rider upfront told driver dont want to pay, and the driver would still insists to take that route cause it is shorten.

Pretty much everyone i know (myself included) prefers Uber because of the app design/UX. All lamenting the takeover but i believe Uber will keep running until the regulatory issues are cleared up.

• Praise 1

Pretty much everyone i know (myself included) prefers Uber because of the app design/UX. All lamenting the takeover but i believe Uber will keep running until the regulatory issues are cleared up.

So uber may not closed down here on 15 Apr?

↡ Advertisement