Grab/Ryde issues and charges

Yamapi

I understand Uber requires the drivers to be 25 and above, they didn't mention anything about vocational license, but they would get a private security consultancy to do background check on the new drivers.

The car under Uber also require to have proper commercial insurance.

The article is misleading in several areas, not sure if it's intentional or just proper fact checking wasn't done.

Besides, apps like GrabTaxi is for the Taxi drivers to use to get more customers.

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

The article is misleading in several areas, not sure if it's intentional or just proper fact checking wasn't done.

Intentional lah. Easy to drive traffic to their site w cheap sensationalism. If dun believe, juz ask TRS or Famous Anus.

• Praise 1

There are a lot of new limo companies trying to entice drivers to join them, with Uber as the main source of income.

The catch: driver must sign 6 months contract with the limo company. Risky business. If LTA screws everything up, then the driver gets screwed and he will still have to continue paying rental to the limo company.

The limo rental not cheap too. 7 series/S class at $200 a day, if no business then driver eat air liao, but the limo company will be laughing all the way because they still get to collect rental from the driver.

Supercharged

Love the competition. It means more choices for consumers.

Love the way taxi drivers are being handed their a$$es. I am particularly peeved by how they all disappear when you need them the most and can only reach them via booking and yet you see one long line of empty cabs by the road waiting to pounce on their "prey" simply because the prey had no choice

mai lidat, i goin 2b taxi lo lei.

ok ok, the most i don't disappear at such times la..

I used their sucky comfort app, bo taxi. Used grab taxi, lotsa taxi. Can throe their stupid app away.

Maybe Lui Fark Yew feel that the app is complimenting their sucky app.

Same here. Once, i tried calling Comfort booking. Put on hold for a while and automated voice system say no cab in my area - call back later. Basket....non peak hour oso no cab meh?

Knn.....so i use grabtaxi app. Immediately got cab. Lo and behold........a Comfort teksi showed up!

Asked the cabby how come when i call their hotline say no cab but when i use 3rd party app got.

He spent the next half hour of the journey knnccb saying how F-up the comfort booking system and if he were to depend on it, his income would be affected. He has 3 smartphones in the car, Grabtaxi, EasyTaxi and Uber. Says his income went up after using these apps compared to relying on the company to feed him bookings.

Twincharged
(edited)

I used their sucky comfort app, bo taxi. Used grab taxi, lotsa taxi. Can throe their stupid app away.

Maybe Lui Fark Yew feel that the app is complimenting their sucky app.

With competition is good, see benefit passenger and taxi driver.

Passenger find it easier and get taxi faster, taxi driver find their income increased. Win win situation.

Edited by Yewheng

Compeititon u mean?

With completion is good, see benefit passenger and taxi driver.

Passenger find it easier and get taxi faster, taxi driver find their income increased. Win win situation.

Turbocharged

mai lidat, i goin 2b taxi lo lei.

ok ok, the most i don't disappear at such times la..

Difficult lah. Your fellow cabbies will hoot you even if not literally if you don't conform. Such is the sad reality of peer/social pressure

Supercharged

Difficult lah. Your fellow cabbies will hoot you even if not literally if you don't conform. Such is the sad reality of peer/social pressure

think they will leave it, since willin to earn lesser. how to hoot? not as if hav a gang.

Turbocharged

Where in singapore can buy such insurance for private car?

Cannot be done.

So that part at least is misleading.

I understand Uber requires the drivers to be 25 and above, they didn't mention anything about vocational license, but they would get a private security consultancy to do background check on the new drivers.

The car under Uber also require to have proper commercial insurance.

Besides, apps like GrabTaxi is for the Taxi drivers to use to get more customers.

Wonder if the writer has taken time to speak to teksi drivers who are using apps and understand how they help to generate demand (and income) instead of spewing the usual outdated rhetoric?

Must use stones.

If they are a stone throw away and still can't see. :grin:

Where in singapore can buy such insurance for private car?

Cannot be done.

So that part at least is misleading.

If you're asking about Uber, what I understood was the car was supposed to be transferred to a company (your own if you wanted to be an Uber driver) and then, you have to insure it under commercial insurance.

So, in a sense, a lot of the Uber drivers are their "own" bosses.. Uber just takes a 20% cut from all the bookings.

If I misunderstood what you are referring to, then I have no idea on the insurance for private car part.

I am not from Uber, nor am I their driver. Never even used it before, was just hitching a ride with a friend when he told me he was going for some briefing with them, so I tagged along.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Good answer!!

Problem is though...

To best of my knowledge; even if transfer to company; the insurance WON'T cover a car being used as a taxi

If you're asking about Uber, what I understood was the car was supposed to be transferred to a company (your own if you wanted to be an Uber driver) and then, you have to insure it under commercial insurance.

So, in a sense, a lot of the Uber drivers are their "own" bosses.. Uber just takes a 20% cut from all the bookings.

If I misunderstood what you are referring to, then I have no idea on the insurance for private car part.

I am not from Uber, nor am I their driver. Never even used it before, was just hitching a ride with a friend when he told me he was going for some briefing with them, so I tagged along.

Good answer!!

Problem is though...

To best of my knowledge; even if transfer to company; the insurance WON'T cover a car being used as a taxi

That I don't know. It's just what the guy at Uber mentioned.

Though, if rental / hire car is under commercial insurance, I don't think it'd be a stretch for them to have a special plan to cover Uber? Not really sure of the details there..

Turbocharged

That I don't know. It's just what the guy at Uber mentioned.

Though, if rental / hire car is under commercial insurance, I don't think it'd be a stretch for them to have a special plan to cover Uber? Not really sure of the details there..

I would think it would depend largely on the law -

right now, you can't use either private or company owned car as "a taxi" - so no insurance company will offer a plan.

From my current understanding

a) Company car - operates similar to private car - same basic rules, passengers covered EXCEPT it cannot be used BY LAW for fare paying passengers

b) Commercial minibus - there WILL be insurance for this - these are "charter buses" - not sure of the exact rules but it is a special category of vehicle under LTA - you can be "for hire" here, but you need a special Vocational Licence. Charter bus cannot pick up passengers from roadside though - it is "prearranged charter" of some form.

I also don't think it is difficult to design a plan...if the insurance company wants to do - I just don't think there is a plan that will currently cover.

Let's just wait and see the shit hit the fan when an UBER (or similar) car gets into an expensive accident, and the insurance company refuses to cover -

Then there will be some massive issues

Same here. Once, i tried calling Comfort booking. Put on hold for a while and automated voice system say no cab in my area - call back later. Basket....non peak hour oso no cab meh?

Knn.....so i use grabtaxi app. Immediately got cab. Lo and behold........a Comfort teksi showed up!

Asked the cabby how come when i call their hotline say no cab but when i use 3rd party app got.

He spent the next half hour of the journey knnccb saying how F-up the comfort booking system and if he were to depend on it, his income would be affected. He has 3 smartphones in the car, Grabtaxi, EasyTaxi and Uber. Says his income went up after using these apps compared to relying on the company to feed him bookings.

Comfort still sleeping.

many taxi driver already reflected to comfort that their booking app is out-dated.

Comfort just ignored. their driver have no worry to use other app

if get caught so what ? there are other taxi company welcome to take them

↡ Advertisement