Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
820 replies to this topic | 4,073 praises

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

Tt_hh
  • Tt_hh
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

JOHOR BARU: A 42-year-old Singaporean is in critical condition with serious burns to his body after he set himself on fire near a petrol station in Century Gardens here yesterday.

The victim, whose name was withheld pending investigations, suffered 100 per cent burns to his body and is being warded at Sultanah Aminah Hospital.

Investigations revealed that the victim had used a four-litre petrol container to buy fuel from the station on the pretext that his car had broken down at about 9.20am.

Following that, he walked away from the petrol station while dousing himself with the petrol.

Johor Baru Selatan police chief Assistant Commissioner Sulaiman Salleh said the victim then set himself on fire with a cigarette lighter.

"Then the victim, who was in flames, started running to a nearby hotel before he fell into a drain, which was about 50m from the petrol station."

Sulaiman said members of the public had immediately called for an ambulance to take him to hospital.

He confirmed the victim was in critical condition following the burns he suffered.

Sulaiman said police were investigating the cause of the incident as well as identifying the victim's family, with assistance from the Singapore consulate's office here.

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

Atonchia
  • Atonchia
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Just saw the news too.

How come go all the way to JB for self-immolation?

To make statement?
Or purely suicidal?
Be not afraid of moving slowly. Be afraid only of standing still.

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

Darthrevan
  • Premium member
    Darthrevan
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I'm guessing it's because it's illegal to take one's own life in Sinkapor or he's simply a fruitcake but I may be wrong

his paraphernalia for self-immolation below

ST_20140413_PLBURN13_4094528e.jpg

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:06 PM

Baal
  • Baal
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I understand from a station manager that its illegal (unsure if its too strong a word) for a petrol station to sell petrol this way in Sin. U need to pump into the car/bike directly. Esp where Sin is small & stations are aplenty, reasons like "my car ran out of gas" may not be entertained. They prob fear they use the petrol for "unintended" purposes...ah long ?

But of course he could always have purchased kerosene, methylated spirit etc from a hardware shop. However, assuming his mind was really unsound & have gone beyond the outer limits (considering the very extreme route taken), its understandable that he could not brain storm for alternatives if hes bent on self immolation.) After all, when msm potray self immolation protest in other countries, its always petrol.

Edited by Baal, 13 April 2014 - 08:07 PM.

Jamesc praised this
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:23 PM

Myxilplix
  • Myxilplix
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I understand from a station manager that its illegal (unsure if its too strong a word) for a petrol station to sell petrol this way in Sin. U need to pump into the car/bike directly. Esp where Sin is small & stations are aplenty, reasons like "my car ran out of gas" may not be entertained. They prob fear they use the petrol for "unintended" purposes...ah long ?

But of course he could always have purchased kerosene, methylated spirit etc from a hardware shop. However, assuming his mind was really unsound & have gone beyond the outer limits (considering the very extreme route taken), its understandable that he could not brain storm for alternatives if hes bent on self immolation.) After all, when msm potray self immolation protest in other countries, its always petrol.

Singapore can ah, just that it has to be into a metal container. They'll even sell you the little tin to carry the petrol, at a stupid mark-up.

Not like last time can pump into plastic bottle etc.

A line of paint on a road holds more authority than I ever will.

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

Kusje
  • Kusje
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Singapore can ah, just that it has to be into a metal container. They'll even sell you the little tin to carry the petrol, at a stupid mark-up.

Confirm can but they will take your particulars (NRIC number, etc) down and you have to state the use (lawn mower, car ran out of petrol).

That is all.

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:38 PM

Baal
  • Baal
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

back in 98 when I was a pump attendant, ever sold a couple of 1 litre bot of petrol to bikers who ran out of petrol, using a empty 1 litre eo plastic bot. It was kept for that purpose.

but subsequently when i pumped petrol in Sin many some years back, a biker asked for the same. But the attendant declined. Later the station manager came out & hesitantly sold a bottle of petrol to the biker in a similar manner, but heard him muttering that ....by right cannot sell this way.

Maybe now they can but in a metal tin i guess.

Confirm can but they will take your particulars (NRIC number, etc) down and you have to state the use (lawn mower, car ran out of petrol).

arrh....ok, so now regulation added. Makes sense also.

Just saw the news too.

To make statement?
Or purely suicidal?

possible, if its also a protest suicide like rail way.

He knows that boleh Gov sure blow the matter in their news.

Edited by Baal, 13 April 2014 - 08:37 PM.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:30 PM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

You can buy petrol separately in SG, but they only allow you to pump into metal container, which they sell for your convenience.

You need to produce ID, and signed.

They even ask purchase purpose. And of coz, it's for a car that ran out of petrol.

Now, I wonder if you write something else, like starting a bon fire, what would they do ?

But it isn't really that difficult to pull petrol out from a car's tank, if you want petrol for other purposes.

Edited by Kb27, 13 April 2014 - 11:35 PM.

Baal praised this

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:35 PM

Duckduck
  • Duckduck
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Pursuant to section 49, subsection 7e, paragraph a...

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:35 AM

Yewheng
  • Premium member
    Yewheng
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Can buy Petrol in SG la. Just that it will come in the form of Metal Tin. My friend last year drove car and run out of petrol and he went to nearest petrol station to buy petrol while I wait for him beside his car.

If SG cannot sell petrol for this kind of purposes, how are those really so blur cock or those really genuine need petrol due to run out of gas to continue to top up petrol ??  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:52 AM

Xers007
  • Premium member
    Xers007
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Can buy without qns asked... last year my car ran out of petrol and i just walk into a petrol station (shell) buy a metal tin from them, fill it up with 95, pay and left...

Back to the same old days...

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:05 AM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Why? Why? Why commit suicide use the hard way? Its painful you know being burn, i would rather jump from Petronas Tower at least i get to enjoy before i die....

You see even though he chose the hard way but things become worse as he never die, now he will live in hard ways in the remaining of his life smelling chao da smell.

P.s don't take my word seriously and jump from petronas, comitting suicide is like betraying your mother for giving birth of you...
Zakkwylde, Tianmo and 2BDriver praised this
Dont get confused between my personality & my attitude...

My personality is who I am...

My attitude depends on who you are...

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

Tigerwoods
  • Premium member
    Tigerwoods
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Why? Why? Why commit suicide use the hard way? Its painful you know being burn, i would rather jump from Petronas Tower at least i get to enjoy before i die....

You see even though he chose the hard way but things become worse as he never die, now he will live in hard ways in the remaining of his life smelling chao da smell.

P.s don't take my word seriously and jump from petronas, comitting suicide is like betraying your mother for giving birth of you...

Can exprain why jump from tall building can get enjoyment before die ?

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Can exprain why jump from tall building can get enjoyment before die ?

panoramic view?

Tianmo and 2BDriver praised this
do to others what you want others to do to you......

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

ChickenMob
  • Premium member
    ChickenMob
    6th Gear
    Author Image

panoramic view?

got time to regret while falling down mah.......

Just saw the news too.

To make statement?
Or purely suicidal?

bloody petrol to expensive in Singapore....zzzz

must be damn desperate to go till this stage..... [:(]

2BDriver praised this

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

Baal
  • Baal
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

You can buy petrol separately in SG, but they only allow you to pump into metal container, which they sell for your convenience.

You need to produce ID, and signed.

They even ask purchase purpose. And of coz, it's for a car that ran out of petrol.

Now, I wonder if you write something else, like starting a bon fire, what would they do ?

But it isn't really that difficult to pull petrol out from a car's tank, if you want petrol for other purposes.

I think ur last sentenced nailed it for those syndicates with dubious purposes.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

Hiphiphoray
  • Hiphiphoray
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Holy shittt...the monk hardly move while been burnt alive.

2BDriver praised this

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

Baal
  • Baal
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Self immolation is arguably the most painful. Since he had 100% burns, I doubt hes going to make it & hope that in this case, they'll not be stingy with morphine.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

Blackyv
  • Premium member
    Blackyv
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Self immolation is arguably the most painful. Since he had 100% burns, I doubt hes going to make it & hope that in this case, they'll not be stingy with morphine.

Deep inside, I think they are cruel to try to save him, should let him go there and then, to him, now is like a living hell experience...worst than being dead... . And I don't think he could make it with 100% burn...
Thaiyotakamli praised this

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

Baal
  • Baal
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Baal : Not about this case but a previous case. There has been much discussion on Depression. Heres a case about Schizophrenia.

http://www.tremeritu...ntally-ill-nsf/

MINDEF under fire for enlisting mentally-ill NSF
dmca_protected_sml_120n.pngPostDateIcon.png April 13th, 2014 | PostAuthorIcon.png Author: Editorial

Capture16-300x275.jpg

Pte Ganesh had been diagnosed with schizophrenia but still needed to serve NS. (ST Photo)

A recent Coroner’s report has ruled out foul play in the death of 22-year-old full-time national serviceman (NSF) Pte Ganesh Pillay, who served his NS last year.

He was found dead at the foot of his condominium in Sengkang last July (‘Mentally ill SG must do NS but able new citizens exempted‘).

Pte Ganesh was diagnosed with schizophrenia when he was 18 and had to take medicine daily to control his illness. Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by a breakdown in thinking and poor emotional response. Common symptoms include delusion, paranoia, hearing voices or noises that are not there, disorganized thinking, and lack of emotion and motivation. In some cases, sufferers even see things that are not there, like “shadows” or “beings”.

Pte Ganesh ended his life after his superior, Captain Jessie Goh, had earlier issued him with 14 extra duties as punishment for, among other things, unsatisfactory work and improper bearing. After he returned from camp, he took his own life. The Coroner’s court heard that Cpt Goh had been informed about his condition, but she never tried to find out what it was or how to manage him. Instead, the Coroner heard, she was consistently strict and harsh towards him, seemingly aiming to make a better soldier of him.

Former SAF head of psychiatry Dr Christopher Cheok pointed out a “weak” link in the chain. He now leads the psychological medicine department at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital. He told the media that there is a lack of awareness about mental health issues among junior commanders such as NSF officers and specialists.

Capture17-300x274.jpg

Cpt Goh, the officer in charge of Pte Ganesh, had been informed about his condition, but never tried to find out what it was or how to manage him. She was consistently strict and harsh towards the mentally-ill Pte Ganesh, seemingly aiming to make a better soldier of him. The Coroner said she was “out of her depth” in her treatment of Pte Ganesh. (ST Photo)

Dr Cheok urged the SAF to take a more “rehabilitative, rather than punitive” approach to discipline, saying “there should be special considerations when punishing soldiers with serious mental illnesses”. There is also a perception that soldiers who downgrade their PES status because of mental health issues are malingering.

Such stigma must be addressed, Dr Cheok said. He believes that SAF needs to invest more resources in its mental health services.

“This is not just about having more doctors, but also case managers who call to check on patients regularly,” Dr Cheok advised.

Straits Times senior writer Dr Andy Ho raised the question in an article today (‘Exempt these young men from NS’, 13 Apr) whether young men suffering from schizophrenia should be enlisted. He asked, “The key question this death raises is whether a youth with schizophrenia ought to be enlisted at all.”

“Pte Ganesh’s sad end suggests that known schizophrenics should be exempted from NS regardless of whether or not they display symptoms at the (medical) check-up.”

Dr Ho explained that a person with schizophrenia needs powerful drugs, which have severe side effects, to keep his condition in check. He requires medication for life and is never cured as drugs do not rewire the brain. Acute bouts recur if he stops taking his medication when he feels better, not least to avoid the side effects.

A patient may stop taking their medication because they may not want others to know about their condition if they are seen taking the drugs. Dr Ho is of the opinion that NS is not the ideal environment for those who must comply with drug treatment for schizophrenia.

Another reason he cited is that the patient needs lifelong support from family members who ensure, among other things, that he sticks to his drug regimen. “But NS removes him from his family,” Dr Ho said.

Once a schizophrenic stops taking his medicine, he may begin losing his temper, lacking focus, becoming anxious, neglecting himself and so on. In a military setting, this cannot but trigger disciplinary action, Dr Ho explained.

“It therefore seems to make good sense to exempt a youth with schizophrenia from NS, irrespective of whether or not he displays symptoms on the day of his pre-enlistment medical check-up. Better to let him remain in the care of his family and doctors, and in the community at large,” he said.

“Pte Ganesh’s suicide also raises the question of how young men diagnosed with other psychoses should be viewed regarding NS. That is a policy question deserving close and urgent scrutiny.”

Similarly, TRE readers are asking why MINDEF enlists mentally-ill Singaporeans for NS:

Chris K:
April 9, 2014 at 2:44 pm (Quote)

“Unsatisfactory work and improper bearing”…. those are outward manifestation of his condition so essentially he is being punished by Captain Goh for being ill. The poor young man ought to be exempted or placed in a situation where there is proper understanding and handling of NSMen with such conditions. While Mindef ought to come under fire for negligence on this case, I also think that the issue of mental health in Singapore is badly handled.

Beep:
April 9, 2014 at 3:52 pm (Quote)

I’m pretty shocked that this young man Ganesh wasn’t fully exempted from NS given his medical background. Was his 2 years liability as a PES E soldier that important to Mindef?

Vicious MIW Liars:
April 9, 2014 at 8:44 pm (Quote)

This is a very vicious and devious MIW govt. How can a young man with a very severe mental disorder not be exempted from conscription service, but rather forced to serve out a conscription term with non combat duties. But still ended up at the mercy of abusive officers who know shit about their duties and responsibility and only eager to carry balls and suck c**ks for promotion. This is indeed a very sad day, both for the family of the dead young man and for Singapore.

A TRE reader asked why new citizens are exempted from NS, especially when born-and-bred mentally ill Singaporeans are not exempted:

RL:
April 9, 2014 at 1:58 pm  (Quote)

I could remember that in the earlier batches of NS men, civil servants including teachers in their 39s and 40s had to serve full time NS in the army with. The other 20 year olds, These older NS men had no problem going through the vigorous trainings. Why new citizens of similar age groups are exempted, not fair isn’t it.? All these new citizens are converted merely because of the benefits that come with their conversion, after all most would be able to return to their country of origin if the desire to do so later on and I think our G should plug this loop hole.

Meanwhile, in response to media queries, MINDEF has pointed to a previous report on how it screens all servicemen before enlistment and assigns them a PES grade. Those with medical conditions – including mental health conditions – may be assigned a lower grade. The grades range from A – fit for all combat vocations – to F – which exempts the person from NS.

Pte Ganesh, who enlisted in October 2012, was given the E9L9 grade, the second lowest, because of his illness and became an administrative assistant in SAF.

With regard to the death of Pte Ganesh, MINDEF has declined to comment and instead referred to an earlier statement issued in response to the Coroner’s findings. It said it would “study the findings carefully to improve and tighten its procedures to ensure better compliance by SAF units in dealing with soldiers with mental problems”.

Turboflat4 praised this

Friedrich Nietzsche

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users