Haiz...another suicide?

Tt_hh

from the Tnp report sound like v moderate pressure plus rewards and encouragements as well. If can't even do this, how are kids going to learn resilience?

are we then still going to complain abt strawberry generations?

• Praise 1

Wang was sitting on the latch at the balcony.

That's a strong latch

Lol.

Husband murdered the wife. Committed suicide. 2 kids left to fend for themselves. Sigh.

• Praise 1

RIP young child.

Probably best to leave the world than face that piece of hard wood again and again.

Flesh and blood, parents.....YOUR flesh and blood. Better they be alive than dead with perfect scores or even 70 or 80 out of 100 marks.

It's your choice. NOT the government or school or friends or whoever. Your choice to define what is true success and what is happiness. If you choose to follow others and fail to take precious time to understand your child and his/her talents or gifts, dun be shocked if they chose to go...afterall, life isn't about high scores or type of schools or even type of house or car.

Love and cherish your child. Let go your own agenda and personal dreams that you were unable to see in your own life.... Let your child have a choice and you guide him/her to making that choice a reality, be it being a chef, policeman, nurse etc.

Safe ride

Always a sad day to read about a suicide, especially of a child.

i wished everyone have your kind of thinking. But i am afraidvit is not so. The result oriented mindset has been ingrained and inculcated by least you know whom and it will remain so if not more! Every body is going by results and monetary gains and deems if you have neither one is a failure. Even in this forum this spirit is alive!

Wang was sitting on the latch at the balcony.

That's a strong latch

maybe they meant ledge...
  • Praise 2

Actually most times it is the other way around

Parents who are high achievers expect their kids to be as good if not superior to them

and the enormous pressure these kids would have felt since Birth

Not all kids can take this kind of pressure, getting reprimanded for not getting full marks

Some parents are not high achievers themselves but expect the kids to be high achievers. That's where the pressure comes from ...

• Praise 5

Actually most times it is the other way around

Parents who are high achievers expect their kids to be as good if not superior to them

and the enormous pressure these kids would have felt since Birth

Not all kids can take this kind of pressure, getting reprimanded for not getting full marks

High achiever parents at least have ability to coach their kids to do better in school. Just like we have some resident psle math experts here in this forum [laugh]

Some parents can't cope with the school stuff but just push the kids thru tuition like it's some magic bullet. How can?

High achiever parents at least have ability to coach their kids to do better in school. Just like we have some resident psle math experts here in this forum [laugh]

Some parents can't cope with the school stuff but just push the kids thru tuition like it's some magic bullet. How can?

high achiever so busy at work or building their career where got time to coach their children? end up also push them to all the tuitions. They dun accept any failure cos they believe the child should inherit the good gene and will never fail.
  • Praise 2

This boy failed his Maths may be due to the new principal.  I was told by my neigbours that this new principal increase the Maths standard suddenly for this year Mid Year paper and caused many pupils to fail or score lesser than their usual marks.

1 of my neighbour used to score 90s in his Maths but score only 60+. The other used to score 70s scored only 49 for her Maths.  The principal held a parents meeting talk with the parents after many parents complain and told them that they will expect the same standard again for final year exam. 

By the way, after this suicide, the principal sent emails to all parents in P5 not to spread the news about this boy. 

Which school he was in?  Very easy to guess...... which school is considered very good in Sengkang?  The uniform is white.

• Praise 4

This boy failed his Maths may be due to the new principal.  I was told by my neigbours that this new principal increase the Maths standard suddenly for this year Mid Year paper and caused many pupils to fail or score lesser than their usual marks.

1 of my neighbour used to score 90s in his Maths but score only 60+. The other used to score 70s scored only 49 for her Maths.  The principal held a parents meeting talk with the parents after many parents complain and told them that they will expect the same standard again for final year exam. 

By the way, after this suicide, the principal sent emails to all parents in P5 not to spread the news about this boy. 

Which school he was in?  Very easy to guess...... which school is considered very good in Sengkang?  The uniform is white.

http://ncps.moe.edu.sg/wp-content/uploads/our-team/school-executive-committee/index.html

principal is initials MQ ah?

by the way he handles his homework.

if you have to keep pushing him to do his homework and not play games or watch TV, he is not trying hard enough.

if he does all his homework diligently, and comes to you when he is having problems with it BEFORE he watches TV or play games, then yes, he is trying.

that is my yard stick. my wife has a whole other yardstick for measurement. it really is different for each family. 

how to give a definitive answer leh?

that's why i ask mah..... because i don't think there is a way to gauge... except by 'feeling'

that's why i ask mah..... because i don't think there is a way to gauge... except by 'feeling'

every child is different. how to give a blanket gauge leh?

• Praise 1

http://theindependent.sg/13-year-old-boy-in-school-uniform-commits-suicide-in-bukit-panjang/

earlier this yr got more suicides lor... SG trying to catch up with south korea for child suicides ah?

Already mention many times in this forum that there are almost every students commit suicide every week just that it is not reported and the minister also revealed that suicide rate is high in Singapore.   http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/average-of-400-suicides/2055216.html

Why parents still give their kids a lot stress.  Parents should tell their kids that it doesn't matter how marks they score most important they have worked hard and done their best.

This boy committed suicide is due to his inability to take his accumulative stress.  His stress sure is accumulative one from a long period of time.  If not, normal child won't take his/her life just because they fail one subject.   Heard that beside his academic results, he also  got stress from his Wushu CCA. 

Sigh..... all parents wish their kids can do well in their studies.  Sometimes we stress them till we are not aware.  If never stress them, they won't study.  If stress them, scare they commit suicide.  Sigh..... not easy to be a parents this day.

My son keeps failing his Maths, teach him so many times he also dun understand.  Tuition also cannot help.  I also dun know what to do.  sigh...... 

• Praise 2

Already mention many times in this forum that there are almost every students commit suicide every week just that it is not reported and the minister also revealed that suicide rate is high in Singapore.   http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/average-of-400-suicides/2055216.html

Why parents still give their kids a lot stress.  Parents should tell their kids that it doesn't matter how marks they score most important they have worked hard and done their best.

This boy committed suicide is due to his inability to take his accumulative stress.  His stress sure is accumulative one from a long period of time.  If not, normal child won't take his/her life just because they fail one subject.   Heard that beside his academic results, he also  got stress from his Wushu CCA. 

Sigh..... all parents wish their kids can do well in their studies.  Sometimes we stress them till we are not aware.  If never stress them, they won't study.  If stress them, scare they commit suicide.  Sigh..... not easy to be a parents this day.

My son keeps failing his Maths, teach him so many times he also dun understand.  Tuition also cannot help.  I also dun know what to do.  sigh...... 

Children and adolescents tend to take impulsive actions when faced with stress. They may not have thought it through.

Usually above 20+, then those who attempt suicide is  not an impulsive act.

• Praise 1

Take it easy on your son and yourself.  It's not as if he purposely fail and don't want to understand.

My kid also constantly fail Chinese.  Tuition also did not help.  I tried one-to-one tuition, tuition centres etc.  In the end, she was so stressed that she had anxiety attacks, became very withdrawn and had to keep seeing a counsellor.  Now I stopped tuition for her, and told her that next year (Sec 3), go ahead and do CL B if she wants.  She is slowly improving, in terms of mental state.  You read all these stories of kids committing suicide and sometimes, you will not know when they snap. 

My kid is ok for all her other academic subjects, just cannot handle Chinese.  If your son is doing ok in his other subjects and failing Math, teach him to focus on what he is good at.  Cannot expect the kid to be good in everything.  Good luck.

• Praise 3

Looking at your CNA input saying that there are like 400 suicides a year in Singapore; based on our population of 6million

Japan has 32000 suicides based on a population of 127 million 

Was told Koreans is the highest

I think all of us are in the same economic bandwidth and in competitive world and China and India are no farther too from this competition

Just wish sometimes the world would move slower and not get caught up in this competition; but its just the way to go nowadays.... as with disruptive techology ....... people's lives are also becoming disruptive

• Praise 4

Although may have been cumulative stress, but i think all the while is within threshold, up til p5. According tye coroner's report, he did gave the impression to his mom his SA1 score was within his average score. And was rewarded with a kite. On result day, I think he knows he going to be found out and alot of explaining to do which he has no answer.

This is quite similar to the sec 3 boy who jumped after police arrested him for molest. He has to face the music, and it's tremendous stress for non-seasoned kids.

Not easy, on one hand as parents we have to toughened our kids to handle stress, on the other, we need to check threshold limit for the child, which there is no gauge.

Edited by Ender
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2