Haiz...another suicide?

Tt_hh

Already mention many times in this forum that there are almost every students commit suicide every week just that it is not reported and the minister also revealed that suicide rate is high in Singapore.   http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/average-of-400-suicides/2055216.html

Why parents still give their kids a lot stress.  Parents should tell their kids that it doesn't matter how marks they score most important they have worked hard and done their best.

This boy committed suicide is due to his inability to take his accumulative stress.  His stress sure is accumulative one from a long period of time.  If not, normal child won't take his/her life just because they fail one subject.   Heard that beside his academic results, he also  got stress from his Wushu CCA. 

Sigh..... all parents wish their kids can do well in their studies.  Sometimes we stress them till we are not aware.  If never stress them, they won't study.  If stress them, scare they commit suicide.  Sigh..... not easy to be a parents this day.

My son keeps failing his Maths, teach him so many times he also dun understand.  Tuition also cannot help.  I also dun know what to do.  sigh...... 

got mention so many meh?   [sweatdrop]  the report said median age of people commit suicide is 50 yrs old.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Best is, do not implement the stupid rule on ur kid to cane him for every point not achieved. <_<

My mum has never caned me due to school results. It was always me being a monkey. [laugh]

This boy failed his Maths may be due to the new principal.  I was told by my neigbours that this new principal increase the Maths standard suddenly for this year Mid Year paper and caused many pupils to fail or score lesser than their usual marks.

1 of my neighbour used to score 90s in his Maths but score only 60+. The other used to score 70s scored only 49 for her Maths.  The principal held a parents meeting talk with the parents after many parents complain and told them that they will expect the same standard again for final year exam. 

By the way, after this suicide, the principal sent emails to all parents in P5 not to spread the news about this boy. 

Which school he was in?  Very easy to guess...... which school is considered very good in Sengkang?  The uniform is white.

I just knew it. It just had to be nan chiau. 

• Praise 1

Although may have been cumulative stress, but i think all the while is within threshold, up til p5. According tye coroner's report, he did gave the impression to his mom his SA1 score was within his average score. And was rewarded with a kite. On result day, I think he knows he going to be found out and alot of explaining to do which he has no answer.

This is quite similar to the sec 3 boy who jumped after police arrested him for molest. He has to face the music, and it's tremendous stress for non-seasoned kids.

Not easy, on one hand as parents we have to toughened our kids to handle stress, on the other, we need to check threshold limit for the child, which there is no gauge.

Actually, I was in a similar situation as him when I was P3. Failed my MT exams during mid year and the report book was given to me the last few days of school and we were supposed to return it on the first day of school.

I hid my report book in my board game set and told my parents that I hadn't received the results yet. I was happily playing throughout the midyear holidays  [:p] until my mom found the book one day and I got a whacking. Good thing the book was found otherwise I wouldn't know how to bring it out also.

Anyway, I had 1 month of fun  :a-happy:

• Praise 1

HHH junior have both private tuition and my personnal coaching since june.

Done tons of maths from past school papers but still hover around 60 to 70% only.

Tried all sorts of pattern still like that.

Soft approach to hard approach. Diff timing of the day.....outcome still the same.

I think he havent open flower yet....so cannot expect too much.

But at least me very tok kong in p3 maths liao.....ask me any bloddy questions I can answer as per school standard...i shoild go take p3 maths exams......hahaha

Already mention many times in this forum that there are almost every students commit suicide every week just that it is not reported and the minister also revealed that suicide rate is high in Singapore. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/average-of-400-suicides/2055216.html

Why parents still give their kids a lot stress. Parents should tell their kids that it doesn't matter how marks they score most important they have worked hard and done their best.

This boy committed suicide is due to his inability to take his accumulative stress. His stress sure is accumulative one from a long period of time. If not, normal child won't take his/her life just because they fail one subject. Heard that beside his academic results, he also got stress from his Wushu CCA.

Sigh..... all parents wish their kids can do well in their studies. Sometimes we stress them till we are not aware. If never stress them, they won't study. If stress them, scare they commit suicide. Sigh..... not easy to be a parents this day.

My son keeps failing his Maths, teach him so many times he also dun understand. Tuition also cannot help. I also dun know what to do. sigh......

• Praise 1

Done tons of maths from past school papers but still hover around 60 to 70% only.

Soft approach to hard approach. Diff timing of the day.....outcome still the same.

But at least me very tok kong in p3 maths liao.....ask me any bloddy questions I can answer as per school standard...i shoild go take p3 maths exams......hahaha

HHH? You also have a daughter called han hui hui right?  [laugh]

It's frankly v difficult, how to toughen kid up to face stress, apart from applying stress??? Next time NS also v stress , Uni also, work also. You watch the kid, how you know next time alone in the room he is going to jump vs having a weank to destress?

It's frankly v difficult, how to toughen kid up to face stress, apart from applying stress??? Next time NS also v stress , Uni also, work also. You watch the kid, how you know next time alone in the room he is going to jump vs having a weank to destress?

yup. As parents, I'm sure we all agree. I think as they grow into their teenage years, you have to be approachable. The more judging/strict you are, the less your child will confide in you.

Even then, there's no way you can forsee all circumstances 

What you've mentioned is normal stress from life which cannot be avoided unless the parents are damn rich. But some parents are just insane about giving additional stress which adds 0 benefits.

One example is preparing for NS. I know my parents who "strongly encourage" their boys to join a uniform CCA just to prepare for NS. Hello.... why do they need to prepare? Just enlist and go along with the flow la. Instead of just wasting 2.5 years in NS, these boys now have to waste their time before NS as well instead of doing or joining something which they really enjoy.

How not to stress.

Edited by Kusje

Maybe there should be a system whereby if a child does poorly eg. fail an exam, the teacher should call up the parent to warn them first ...

What you've mentioned is normal stress from life which cannot be avoided unless the parents are damn rich. But some parents are just insane about giving additional stress which adds 0 benefits.

One example is preparing for NS. I know my parents who "strongly encourage" their boys to join a uniform CCA just to prepare for NS. Hello.... why do they need to prepare? Just enlist and go along with the flow la. Instead of just wasting 2.5 years in NS, these boys now have to waste their time before NS as well instead of doing or joining something which they really enjoy.

How not to stress.

I was in NCC. In retrospect it was a major waste of time though had good friends there.

But I'm sucky at sports so nevermind lah.  [laugh]

sounds like MOE purposely set impossible to answer questions... since when did math exams become psychosomatic trauma? they should be testing understanding of concepts, not unnecessarily stressing kids out

My son lose weight during his PSLE and O Levels . . . but now pui pui again. No stress from me or his mom. If do well for exams, okay good keep it up if did not do well, okay nevermind, do better next time. 

Better than me can consider god liao lor . . .  [laugh]

Maybe there should be a system whereby if a child does poorly eg. fail an exam, the teacher should call up the parent to warn them first ...

I was in NCC. In retrospect it was a major waste of time though had good friends there.

But I'm sucky at sports so nevermind lah.  [laugh]

But you joined NCC to have fun and not to get ahead/prepared during NS right? 

sounds like MOE purposely set impossible to answer questions... since when did math exams become psychosomatic trauma? they should be testing understanding of concepts, not unnecessarily stressing kids out

Simi psychosomatic? I didn't see him mentioning that his son has any physical pains leh.

i agree some of the test are difficult and they set the standard too high.

but i dun expect my kids to know everything in every subject.

when i look at their papers now, i know i can only pass P6 [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

But you joined NCC to have fun and not to get ahead/prepared during NS right? 

Simi psychosomatic? I didn't see him mentioning that his son has any physical pains leh.

im talking abt MOE sets exams to purposeful make the grades low... do they not realise the unnecessary emotional stress this puts kids thru just so that they make it seem like our education standard is ridiculously high?

im talking abt MOE sets exams to purposeful make the grades low... do they not realise the unnecessary emotional stress this puts kids thru just so that they make it seem like our education standard is ridiculously high?

I think around P5 they start to have questions which deal with basic algebra (though via the modeling method).

So part of the difficulty for P5/6 maths could be a significant step up from lower primary maths.

I think around P5 they start to have questions which deal with basic algebra (though via the modeling method).

So part of the difficulty for P5/6 maths could be a significant step up from lower primary maths.

SG education way is to make kids feel stupid n helpless by fixing crazy exams then apparently this will motivate them to mug harder. for those who havent killed themselves anyway.

US/UK way is motivate kids n teach them that watever theyre learning is for their benefit, they dont score as well as singies but end up as fortun 500 CEOs anyway. not a single singie ever got anywhere close to being MNC CEOs... not surprised

Edited by Duckduck
  • Praise 1

SG education way is to make kids feel stupid n helpless by fixing crazy exams then apparently this will motivate them to mug harder. for those who havent killed themselves anyway.

US/UK way is motivate kids n teach them that watever theyre learning is for their benefit, they dont score as well as singies but end up as fortun 500 CEOs anyway. not a single singie ever got anywhere close to being MNC CEOs... not surprised

Jack Ma used to be a China teacher  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement