Haiz...another suicide?

Tt_hh

every child is different. how to give a blanket gauge leh?

i tot trying hard/best is standard.... means give 100% no meh

SG education way is to make kids feel stupid n helpless by fixing crazy exams then apparently this will motivate them to mug harder. for those who havent killed themselves anyway.

US/UK way is motivate kids n teach them that watever theyre learning is for their benefit, they dont score as well as singies but end up as fortun 500 CEOs anyway. not a single singie ever got anywhere close to being MNC CEOs... not surprised

do they teach them how to use guns?

SG education way is to make kids feel stupid n helpless by fixing crazy exams then apparently this will motivate them to mug harder. for those who havent killed themselves anyway.

US/UK way is motivate kids n teach them that watever theyre learning is for their benefit, they dont score as well as singies but end up as fortun 500 CEOs anyway. not a single singie ever got anywhere close to being MNC CEOs... not surprised

LoL!  :grin:

so that makes us sucesses or failures? [laugh]

but GIC/Temasek own many big US mnc and have these smart CEO working to them mah   :D  :D

but GIC/Temasek own many big US mnc and have these smart CEO working to them mah   :D  :D

shareholder isnt CEO material lor

LoL!  :grin:

so that makes us sucesses or failures? [laugh]

we r good followers n administrators. our edu system suits our country, not other places.

do they teach them how to use guns?

nope but we're talkin abt edu system here, not crime rate. if i had limitless cash, i will seriously consider sending my kids to UWC here instead of local primary.

Take it easy on your son and yourself.  It's not as if he purposely fail and don't want to understand.

My kid also constantly fail Chinese.  Tuition also did not help.  I tried one-to-one tuition, tuition centres etc.  In the end, she was so stressed that she had anxiety attacks, became very withdrawn and had to keep seeing a counsellor.  Now I stopped tuition for her, and told her that next year (Sec 3), go ahead and do CL B if she wants.  She is slowly improving, in terms of mental state.  You read all these stories of kids committing suicide and sometimes, you will not know when they snap. 

My kid is ok for all her other academic subjects, just cannot handle Chinese.  If your son is doing ok in his other subjects and failing Math, teach him to focus on what he is good at.  Cannot expect the kid to be good in everything.  Good luck.

Ya lor.  This morning I told him just do your best for your Maths Exam, fail never mind.  I told him you study hard for few days only for your exam, after exam, you can relax and play liao.

• Praise 1

Actually school system must condition the kids to face failure as okay, and part of learning, as long as the standard is kept high.

Keeping higher standards is more important than having nice figures (low failure rate), when it comes to learning and improving.

Just like exercising to keep fit and gain strength. You can do many reps with low weights well within your ability. Or you can do miserably few reps, but try the weights above your usual level.

My junior in lower sec now goes to a math/sci school in the west. These subjects are taught at higher level and faster pace. Scoring 70-80 in a test is consider ok already [laugh] at that level. Occasionally fail tests seems more probable than other schools. Fair number of people do remedial. All seems acceptable and "normal" to them, from my own observation. Nothing to be depressed about occasionally faltering, as long as they pick themselves up and survive the system. Important thing is to maintain the higher standards and challenge students to meet them.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 1

HHH junior have both private tuition and my personnal coaching since june.

Done tons of maths from past school papers but still hover around 60 to 70% only.

Tried all sorts of pattern still like that.

Soft approach to hard approach. Diff timing of the day.....outcome still the same.

I think he havent open flower yet....so cannot expect too much.

But at least me very tok kong in p3 maths liao.....ask me any bloddy questions I can answer as per school standard...i shoild go take p3 maths exams......hahaha

Ya lor.  This is what I told myself also.

My daughter's Maths also very poor, her problem sums all wrong but she still managed to score 60+ for her section A and section B.  Dun know why she suddenly 开窍 in P5 after she failed her Science mid year exam.  She used to score very well for her science. 

After her failed science incident, she suddenly 开窍 and started to study hard and score 4As for her PSLE.  Now she's in lower secondary liao, although her studies is average but I am happy that she studies hard and prepare for her exam unlike last time where she kept playing and never bother to prepare for her exams.

got mention so many meh?   [sweatdrop]  the report said median age of people commit suicide is 50 yrs old.

Got lah.  I mention many times whahahahahaha. 

Teenage one is here -  http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/teen-suicides-highest-in-15-years-but-overall-rate-falls

Every month last year, more than two young people aged 10 to 19 killed themselves.

The year's total of 27 was twice as many as the year before and the highest in 15 years.

The rate also stands in contrast with the overall reported suicide rate in Singapore, which last year was at its lowest since 2012.

http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/recent-teen-suicides-showed-no-warning-signs

According to recently released figures from the Samaritans of Singapore, 27 children aged between 10 and 19 ended their lives last year - a record for the age group in 15 years.

What you've mentioned is normal stress from life which cannot be avoided unless the parents are damn rich. But some parents are just insane about giving additional stress which adds 0 benefits.

One example is preparing for NS. I know my parents who "strongly encourage" their boys to join a uniform CCA just to prepare for NS. Hello.... why do they need to prepare? Just enlist and go along with the flow la. Instead of just wasting 2.5 years in NS, these boys now have to waste their time before NS as well instead of doing or joining something which they really enjoy.

How not to stress.

Aiyo!  Talking about uniform group.  I joined NPCC.  I really regretted.  I find it a waste of time.  Every Saturday, early morning wake up, stand by by 7.30am and started to march till noon.  We did nothing but march.  The dark thick uniform made us sweat under the sun.  I still remember the marching commands till now wahahahahahaha.

This made me avoid dark wearing jeans and dark coloured clothes - phobia of the heat.

Aiyo!  Talking about uniform group.  I joined NPCC.  I really regretted.  I find it a waste of time.  Every Saturday, early morning wake up, stand by by 7.30am and started to march till noon.  We did nothing but march.  The dark thick uniform made us sweat under the sun.  I still remember the marching commands till now wahahahahahaha.

This made me avoid dark wearing jeans and dark coloured clothes - phobia of the heat.

see, it achieved what it wanted to achieve.

Maybe less marching will make you sign on as a mata too...

• Praise 1

Aiyo! Talking about uniform group. I joined NPCC. I really regretted. I find it a waste of time. Every Saturday, early morning wake up, stand by by 7.30am and started to march till noon. We did nothing but march. The dark thick uniform made us sweat under the sun. I still remember the marching commands till now wahahahahahaha.

Yeah Damm stupid in retrospect. Next time, it's either sports or some arts or even stuff like befriender or social work club for my kid also more useful...
  • Praise 1

Alamak ... my time kenna arrow like cheap in house Polis kenna in almost every school function; Kenna like policing during Sports day, Prize giving day, National Day, even VIP come kenna Stand By, Youth Festival.... so many more ... almost every month sure have one event    

Same for Red cross.... sports day all play nurses [:p] 

Those were the Days 

• Praise 1

Yeah Damm stupid in retrospect. Next time, it's either sports or some arts or even stuff like befriender or social work club for my kid also more useful...

Can also join St John or Red Cross. Then will aspire to be a doctor like u. [laugh]

13 fell to death, accident but not suicide.

Teen falls to his death after inhaling butane
Elena Chong My Paper
Tuesday, Oct 25, 2016

A 13-year-old boy fell accidentally from height at an HDB block when he was having a "laughing gas" session with two classmates.

State Coroner Marvin Bay found the teen's death at Block 24 Bendemeer Road on May 25 this year to be a "tragic misadventure''.

The teen, who had been inhaling butane - which is used in gas canisters and lighter fluid - fell eight floors and was pronounced dead at 6.40pm.

Clad in his school uniform and blue socks without footwear, his body was found on the second-floor ledge of the block.

The three boys had their "laughing gas" session at an open space near a lift lobby on the 10th level.

In his findings yesterday, Coroner Bay said the teen's death is a sobering reminder of the harm that can result from butane abuse, which is a form of inhalant abuse.

"Master A's fall appears to have been precipitated by his risk-taking behaviour induced by his euphoric state from butane abuse," he added.

Butane gas inhalants enter through the pulmonary system, and immediately enter the blood supply and can produce intoxication within seconds.

Coroner Bay said both butane abuse and toluene abuse or glue sniffing can cause serious physical and psychological dependence.

The teen, described by his girlfriend as a "happy but playful person", had no suicidal thoughts, stressors from school work nor was he bullied in school.

Coroner Bay said there was no evidence to suspect foul play.

There was also nothing to support a claim by the teen's mother, who is in a drug centre, that her son had been assaulted on the day of his death.

Investigations showed that the teen and his classmates had stolen three canisters of Ronson Universal lighter refill from a sundry shop in Bendemeer Road for the "laughing gas" session.

This entailed repeatedly spraying the gaseous contents of the canister into a plastic bag or bundled shirt, and inhaling the contents of the canister from the opening of the plastic bag or shirt, through the mouth.

The teen had been jumping around and laughing to himself from inhaling the butane on his shirt, the court heard.

His classmate saw him sit on the ledge, facing outwards with his legs dangling.

Suddenly, his left hand slipped and he fell off his perch.

He lost his grip while holding on the outside wall and fell.

Can also join St John or Red Cross. Then will aspire to be a doctor like u. [laugh]

Sibei waste time la. Want to learn, learn later.

Learn a skill or game or have fun when you are young lol.

↡ Advertisement