Audio Shop Recommendation

DarkFly3r

Hi experts,

I am a complete noob in ICE. I am currently driving a Forester NA and thought I would like to upgrade for better sound quality, but without replacing the HU (thought it flush well).

May I know if i have a budget of aroun $500-700, am i able to get a decent speakers/bass? I dont wish to compromise on my boot (have baby pram etc), but am ok with underseat AMP.

Who can I approach? I dont wish to be carrot big time.

Read through the thread(s) on ICE here. There are a few shops that keep getting mentioned. I think you calling to get a feel of who you wanna work with, then heading down to have a listen to the options available to you, will serve you well :)

Enjoy

↡ Advertisement

thanks for everyone advice.

having read the comments, i think 1k can get me a decent upgrade. I will not say it will be good, but at least better than stock. plus, with baby in car, i listen to her orchestra more than anything.

have shortlist 2 shops, pending their best price. :)

(edited)

Hi, noted. ok, so can I safely said if i increase my budget to 1k, i can get something decent?

sorry, a noob here... just want to make sure i get the right advice here.

Hi goh,

Recommend that you go online to get subaru designated kickers upgrade kits for 2 tweeters and 4 indoor speakers here:

<<https://m.ebay.com/itm/OEM-12-18-Subaru-Kicker-Tweeter-Speakers-Impreza-WRX-STI-Forester-NEW-H631SFJ101/322955303445?epid=1729959960&hash=item4b31a2da15:g:0NcAAOSw4PxaPsgk>>

<<https://m.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Upgreade-Speaker-Kit-by-Kicker-Subaru-Wrx-STi-Crosstrek-Impreza-H631SFJ001/141889847516?epid=1532804543&hash=item21094b40dc:g:q2cAAOSwKtlWqqmB>>

Go to any shop who offer best price of say sgd350-400 with installation for a pioneer ts-wx120A subwoofer with these online upgrade speakers to get them to be installed for nominal $ which will be the best sgd1k audio upgrade possible:

<<https://www.fishpond.com.sg/Electronics/Pioneer-TS-WX120A-150W-Powerful-Amplified-Subwoofer-System-with-Small-Footprint/4988028241789?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=ps&utm_campaign=SG&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3KG4gI_g2wIVTyQrCh2M0w2DEAQYASABEgIP-vD_BwE"]https://www.fishpond.com.sg/Electronics/Pioneer-TS-WX120A-150W-Powerful-Amplified-Subwoofer-System-with-Small-Footprint/4988028241789?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=ps&utm_campaign=SG&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3KG4gI_g2wIVTyQrCh2M0w2DEAQYASABEgIP-vD_BwE>>

Avoid reputed hiend audio shops like xtreme, foon, audiodimension, cartoon etc. since they will probably not entertain your online purchased speakers and only install active subwoofer and you dun need them since sgd1k budget will not get processor included for their tuning expertise.. try aestmod, dr. audio, singtrade etc. or any neighbourhood accessories shop willing to order the pioneer subwoofer .. and add sgd100-200 for both front door treatment.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032
  • Praise 1

Hi goh,

Recommend that you go online to get subaru designated kickers upgrade kits for 2 tweeters and 4 indoor speakers here:

<<https://m.ebay.com/itm/OEM-12-18-Subaru-Kicker-Tweeter-Speakers-Impreza-WRX-STI-Forester-NEW-H631SFJ101/322955303445?epid=1729959960&hash=item4b31a2da15:g:0NcAAOSw4PxaPsgk>>

<<https://m.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Upgreade-Speaker-Kit-by-Kicker-Subaru-Wrx-STi-Crosstrek-Impreza-H631SFJ001/141889847516?epid=1532804543&hash=item21094b40dc:g:q2cAAOSwKtlWqqmB>>

Go to any shop who offer best price of say sgd350-400 with installation for a pioneer ts-wx120A subwoofer with these online upgrade speakers to get them to be installed for nominal $ which will be the best sgd1k audio upgrade possible:

<<https://www.fishpond.com.sg/Electronics/Pioneer-TS-WX120A-150W-Powerful-Amplified-Subwoofer-System-with-Small-Footprint/4988028241789?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=ps&utm_campaign=SG&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3KG4gI_g2wIVTyQrCh2M0w2DEAQYASABEgIP-vD_BwE"]https://www.fishpond.com.sg/Electronics/Pioneer-TS-WX120A-150W-Powerful-Amplified-Subwoofer-System-with-Small-Footprint/4988028241789?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=ps&utm_campaign=SG&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3KG4gI_g2wIVTyQrCh2M0w2DEAQYASABEgIP-vD_BwE>>

Avoid reputed hiend audio shops like xtreme, foon, audiodimension, cartoon etc. since they will probably not entertain your online purchased speakers and only install active subwoofer and you dun need them since sgd1k budget will not get processor included for their tuning expertise.. try aestmod, dr. audio, singtrade etc. or any neighbourhood accessories shop willing to order the pioneer subwoofer .. and add sgd100-200 for both front door treatment.

Cheers.

Richard

Sure anot Richard.....

Recommend the following..

Later 听坏耳。

With that budget

Go for a proper HU.

As hu has the most significant improvement

(edited)

Sure anot Richard.....

Recommend the following..

Later å¬åè³ã

With that budget

Go for a proper HU.

As hu has the most significant improvement

Hi Meemee,

Quite sure especially with vfm active subwoofer and upgrade speakers kit designated by Subaru.

With new headunit that bro goh oreli dun wish to change and budget of <sgd1k especially without digital output and without off board external processor but same stock speakers, you will always be limited by the the last components to your ears.

Aside to bro goh,

---------------------------

If interested pls pm me and listen to my kaki's black edition forester fxt with stock headunit and only upgraded speakers and active subwoofer with front door treatment ... sometimes, I also wonder why I spent tens of thousands for my qashqai and fxt .. lol !

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Speakers change need higher power to drive...

Else not fully optimize ....

Design for Subaru does not mean it will sound decent in a Subaru car...

Speaker recognize power not brand of car .

(edited)

Speakers change need higher power to drive...

Else not fully optimize ....

Design for Subaru does not mean it will sound decent in a Subaru car...

Speaker recognize power not brand of car .

Hi Meemee,

No significant power difference between stock HU and any HU that you can recommend under sgd1k  ... we are not referring to external amps like my Groundzero Reference 2/4 and Steg Masterstroke Amps which also hardly use tens of rms watts for tweeter and midrange drivers ... except only for midbass drivers that makes your comment on power requirement being valid. 

These kicker upgraded speakers are not your usual audiophile power hunger insensitive midbass drivers but just tweeter and coaxial drivers which are matched in sensitivity for the stock unit headunit power  ... hence my comments on them being Subaru designated which is preferred and believe you understand what speaker sensitivity and its db specification are about.

Not sure of your last comment on speaker not recognising brand of car and only power though ...

Cheers,

Richard

• GroundZero Model: GZPA Reference 4
  • Type: 4 Ch Class AB> A
  • Output power @ 4 ohms (CEA *): 4 x 150 W
  • Output Power @ 2 ohms (CEA *): 4 x 270 W
  • Output Power @ 1 ohm (CEA *):4 x 425 W

• Groundzero Model: GZPA Reference 2
  • Type: 2 Ch Class AB> A
  • Output power @ 4 ohms (CEA *): 2 x 420 W
  • Output Power @ 2 ohms (CEA *): 2 x 750 W
  • Output Power @ 1 ohm (CEA *): 2 x 1150 W

• Steg MasterStroke MSK1500
  • Power 4 ohms stereoWatt RMS - 11 to 14.4 Volt 200 x 2\
  • Power 2 ohms stereoWatt RMS - 11 to 14.4 Volt 400 x 2
  • Power 4 ohms monoWatt RMS - 11 to 14.4 Volt 800 x 1
  • Power 2 ohms monoWatt RMS - 11 to 14.4 volts 1500 x 1

• Steg Masterstroke Class A
  • Power 4 ohms stereo Watt RMS - 11 to 14.4 Volt 100 x 2
  • Power 2 ohms stereoWatt RMS - 11 to 14.4 Volt 200 x 2
  • Power in Watts RMS CLASS A - 11 to 14.4 Volt 50 x 2
Edited by richard_crl032

Hi Meemee,

No significant power difference between stock HU and any HU that you can recommend under sgd1k ... we are not referring to external amps like my Groundzero Reference 2/4 and Steg Masterstroke Amps which also hardly use tens of rms watts for tweeter and midrange drivers ... except only for midbass drivers that makes your comment on power requirement being valid.

These kicker upgraded speakers are not your usual audiophile power hunger insensitive midbass drivers but just tweeter and coaxial drivers which are matched in sensitivity for the stock unit headunit power ... hence my comments on them being Subaru designated which is preferred and believe you understand what speaker sensitivity and its db specification are about.

Not sure of your last comment on speaker not recognising brand of car and only power though ...

Cheers,

Richard

• GroundZero Model: GZPA Reference 4
  • Type: 4 Ch Class AB> A
  • Output power @ 4 ohms (CEA *): 4 x 150 W
  • Output Power @ 2 ohms (CEA *): 4 x 270 W
  • Output Power @ 1 ohm (CEA *):4 x 425 W
  • Groundzero Model: GZPA Reference 2
  • Type: 2 Ch Class AB> A
  • Output power @ 4 ohms (CEA *): 2 x 420 W
  • Output Power @ 2 ohms (CEA *): 2 x 750 W
  • Output Power @ 1 ohm (CEA *): 2 x 1150 W
  • Steg MasterStroke MSK1500
  • Power 4 ohms stereoWatt RMS - 11 to 14.4 Volt 200 x 2\
  • Power 2 ohms stereoWatt RMS - 11 to 14.4 Volt 400 x 2
  • Power 4 ohms monoWatt RMS - 11 to 14.4 Volt 800 x 1
  • Power 2 ohms monoWatt RMS - 11 to 14.4 volts 1500 x 1
â
  • Steg Masterstroke Class A
  • Power 4 ohms stereo Watt RMS - 11 to 14.4 Volt 100 x 2
  • Power 2 ohms stereoWatt RMS - 11 to 14.4 Volt 200 x 2
  • Power in Watts RMS CLASS A - 11 to 14.4 Volt 50 x 2
I know you are technically incline with all these number....

But that does not mean every one Know abit it .

Subaru design??

It Is to enable easy mounting for Subaru .

Espically the tweeter housing ...

Speaker are not specially design for Subaru car.

Stock hu are know to be weaker the after market hu .

And aftermarket do provide a much better clarity output.

Period....

What the point of changing speaker whole the hu is giving you rubbish output.

I myself have gone thur the route of changing a stock hu with speaker and amp install and also after market hu with stock speaker.

After market hu with stock speaker wins.

Period

There you go again..

Same old amp technically data ...

Like a broken record of your collection of amps....

You wins ...

for you maybe better, but doesnt mean everyone feels the same or have the same expectation ..

No right or wrong lah

A good recording will sound good on a stock hu, as in real stock hu and not aftermkt type that the dealers installs

• Praise 1

I know you are technically incline with all these number....

But that does not mean every one Know abit it .

Subaru design??

It Is to enable easy mounting for Subaru .

Espically the tweeter housing ...

Speaker are not specially design for Subaru car.

Stock hu are know to be weaker the after market hu .

And aftermarket do provide a much better clarity output.

Period....

What the point of changing speaker whole the hu is giving you rubbish output.

I myself have gone thur the route of changing a stock hu with speaker and amp install and also after market hu with stock speaker.

After market hu with stock speaker wins.

Period

There you go again..

Same old amp technically data ...

Like a broken record of your collection of amps....

You wins ...

Hi Meemee,

As mentioned and offered to bro goh, I had already heard stock HU with upgraded speakers with active sub and I had heard many more hiend car audio system or home audio system than you to know it sounded fine for <sgd1k budget.

On your mentioned stock HU that sucks with even upgraded speakers, it may only be due to the stock one in your previous qashqai and perhaps current XV or whatever speakers you had upgraded to ... and pls also read that bro goh already mentioned not changing stock HU.

Have you even looked at the tweeter to comment ? Yes, it is designed to mount in stock tweeter location of our forester but not sure on your XV which is of no interest to me as I was just responding to bro goh with forester.

I am sentimental and remained polite but your curt and disrespectful responses that all can see in this forum had not been nice and I will refrain from further engagement on your thread and hope you do likewise ... sad .. since I know you personally that you are not how you transforms to this negative keyboard warrior here.

Btw, it was also all phonon 340c amplifiers previously in my qashqai and not sure why you irritated by probably 2nd time that I shared the power specification of current amps to emphasize that I know what amp power is about.

Goodbye.

Richard

Nothing was mention on qashqai or xv.

Just trying to share .....

That hu play a vital role of producing good audio.

Many has a misconpection that changing speaker will help.

Neverthelss . It more Important is to have a good source of audio or signal to the speaker.

With all due respect to you Richard.

I'm not sure that why you label me as a negative comment keyboard warrior.

Who did I hurt?

Could you enlighten me, why is there a need to share your arsenal of amps ?

Espically those you own ?

Is there a need of going thur that again?

We are into a topic of speaker change.

I just share my past and current experience to fellow car owner.

Not only limited to qashqai or xv.

With that budget, it would be better off with hu change.

To change to what ever brand it up to the buyer.

Seem like we can't voice out freely In a open forum char....

(edited)

Many has a misconpection that changing speaker will help.

so are you saying changing speakers (all things being equal) won't help ? 

Edited by Othello

so are you saying changing speakers (all things being equal) won't help ?

Ops ... sorry ...

I should phase it ...

Changing speaker will not yield trhe best sound.

My take is to start with head unit .

Which has the most significant improvement even you are running on stock speaker....

Audio should sound decent.

Speaker will not be fully optimize unless It properly match .

I doubt stock unit are design for such output.

Ops ... sorry ...

I should phase it ...

Changing speaker will not yield trhe best sound.

My take is to start with head unit .

Which has the most significant improvement even you are running on stock speaker....

Audio should sound decent.

Speaker will not be fully optimize unless It properly match .

I doubt stock unit are design for such output.

if u use stock HU to run subs, yes i agree insufficient. but most HU power is sufficient to drive 2 tweets 2 mid combo. in all my experience, just changing these over the stock paper speakers already can achieve a significant effect.

btw 1k is a decent budget for hardware (these days pricing seem to have dropped alot) but the key to a good setup is still sufficient sound proofing. TS need to take note. 

• Praise 1

A decent Pioneer hu will cost 500-800...

Depend ...

I lost track of that..

Jvc and Kenwood - recent model seem good

I have made the decision to change the HU to Kenwood DDX418 and have those speakers changed.

was quoted slightly lower than $1000 for the change. [;)]

• Praise 1

I have made the decision to change the HU to Kenwood DDX418 and have those speakers changed.

was quoted slightly lower than $1000 for the change. [;)]

Which shop quoted?
↡ Advertisement