Hyundai Sonata (2015)

Thaiyotakamli

Drove up to Melaka. Fuel consumption is 13.7 km/L for the single trip info. Pretty good. Just three persons in the car. Very few and light bags. Speeds from 110-120 kmh. On cruise control whenever possible. Consumption probably decimated by the slow drive in to Melaka town from the highway. Anyway, glad that the fuel consumption is pretty good.

↡ Advertisement

Anyway, just to update the range and fuel tank capacity issue. I was out of town and dad topped up and he was able to put in 61 L. There was 40+ km left on the tank. Kind of works out I guess...

Nothing from them... so annoying... I texted my SE 3 times and still nothing... anyway I am still out of country... that's why never touch the car for so long... and my dad finally decided to call NTUC for me and they sent it over... so lousy lor... NTUC...

The tires are from Kumho for sunroof trim. They're pretty good, just a bit noisy I feel. My dad thinks they're ok. Tomorrow I will drive to Melaka... then I'll report back my experience. Non-sunroof trim is Nexen.

Yes yes... those creature comforts really easy to get used to... I don't know if I can afford to buy another car in 10 years time... sigh... car-lite... MRT here I come...

So what did you buy in the end?

Noisy Kumhos, eh? That means that whatever the noise level is now, you could potentially cut it with better tyres, even with the low 45 profile.

You got pretty decent mileage on your Melaka trip! Certainly nothing to complain about.

When it comes to creature comforts, the Sonata is packed way beyond anything in its general price range. A really luxurious driving experience. But yes, dangerous to get used to that. I also don't know if I can afford a car in another 10 years. My wife already reminded me to prepare myself, and consoled me with the fact that my kids will be much older and therefore won't need ferrying around.

I bought a Subaru Legacy in the end, which is lightly smaller, stiffer ride quality, smaller sunroof, halogen high beam, less pretty both inside and out, no ventilated seats and no seat memory. But it was cheaper, had a bigger engine (2.5 NA; noticeably more low-mid torque), AWD, factory 7-inch capacitive HU and Harmon Kardon amp/speakers, and more flexible SEs. But wife and I still think about the Sonata from time to time. Sweet ride you've got there.

Noisy Kumhos, eh? That means that whatever the noise level is now, you could potentially cut it with better tyres, even with the low 45 profile.

You got pretty decent mileage on your Melaka trip! Certainly nothing to complain about.

When it comes to creature comforts, the Sonata is packed way beyond anything in its general price range. A really luxurious driving experience. But yes, dangerous to get used to that. I also don't know if I can afford a car in another 10 years. My wife already reminded me to prepare myself, and consoled me with the fact that my kids will be much older and therefore won't need ferrying around.

I bought a Subaru Legacy in the end, which is lightly smaller, stiffer ride quality, smaller sunroof, halogen high beam, less pretty both inside and out, no ventilated seats and no seat memory. But it was cheaper, had a bigger engine (2.5 NA; noticeably more low-mid torque), AWD, factory 7-inch capacitive HU and Harmon Kardon amp/speakers, and more flexible SEs. But wife and I still think about the Sonata from time to time. Sweet ride you've got there.

Oooo... I was looking at the Legacy too... I was also looking at it ten years ago - that was the best looking Legacy in my opinion. And recently, this current Legacy model. I was quite keen on it cos it was significantly cheaper. But... it was 2.5 L and after my last experience with the AWD and fuel consumption... I decided on the Sonata... hai... no regrets... definitely. But sometimes I still look at the Mondeo and sigh... that was my stretch target for this round...

Oooo... I was looking at the Legacy too... I was also looking at it ten years ago - that was the best looking Legacy in my opinion. And recently, this current Legacy model. I was quite keen on it cos it was significantly cheaper. But... it was 2.5 L and after my last experience with the AWD and fuel consumption... I decided on the Sonata... hai... no regrets... definitely. But sometimes I still look at the Mondeo and sigh... that was my stretch target for this round...

I can definitely understand your hesitation over AWD and FC, especially since you've gone that route before. The current CVT is very efficient, however, while the paddle shifters let me have some fun, so I also no regrets. Except no seat memory... no side mirror auto-tilt on reverse... etc... hahah! Eh, I was drooling over the Mondeo too. That front grill. That turbo engine. But too much for my budget to stretch lah.

Random question: what engine oil does Komoco use in your car ah? Brand and viscosity? Just curious.

Shell Helix Ultra. It's always been this since my last Elantra in 2001. I think it's 5W40. Cos the engine compression ratio is a standard 10.x.

Anyway, just to update about the max range issue... after I topped up my tank is Malaysia, coming back from an almost non-stop run from Melaka, my max range is now 746 km... hahaha... nuts... fuel consumption for the trip was 13.9 km/L on the return trip. This clocked on 18" rims, 235mm width... I think the fuel consumption will be better for the base trim Sonatas cos their tires are narrower by quite a bit.

• Praise 1

Shell Helix Ultra. It's always been this since my last Elantra in 2001. I think it's 5W40. Cos the engine compression ratio is a standard 10.x.

Interesting. MI uses Shell Helix Ultra for Subarus too. I bet Tan Chong uses it for Nissan as well since TCI owns both dealerships. Sounds like Shell has quite a grip on the AD engine oil market, heh. Eh, what's compression got to do with oil grades? My Legacy is also 10.x.

Anyway, just to update about the max range issue... after I topped up my tank is Malaysia, coming back from an almost non-stop run from Melaka, my max range is now 746 km... hahaha... nuts... fuel consumption for the trip was 13.9 km/L on the return trip. This clocked on 18" rims, 235mm width... I think the fuel consumption will be better for the base trim Sonatas cos their tires are narrower by quite a bit.

Wow, that's simply awesome FC, and on fat tyres too. Very good to know that it's achievable. Steady la.

Interesting. MI uses Shell Helix Ultra for Subarus too. I bet Tan Chong uses it for Nissan as well since TCI owns both dealerships. Sounds like Shell has quite a grip on the AD engine oil market, heh. Eh, what's compression got to do with oil grades? My Legacy is also 10.x.

Wow, that's simply awesome FC, and on fat tyres too. Very good to know that it's achievable. Steady la.

Lower oil weight means that the pistons are freer to move, lower lubrication friction. For higher compression engines, there needs to be less friction in the engine, hence lower weight oil is used. Normal aspirated engines are all have 10.x compression ratios. Anything higher is considered to be high compression ratios, like the Mazdas. Generally the MPI engines (multi-port injection) are lower compression, while GDI engines (gasoline direct injection) have much higher compression ratios. Mazda is like 14 or 15:1. 

Wow!!! Wow!!! Wow!!! I tried the wing mirror tilt function and it works! Absolutely brilliant... with my reverse camera now showing the right image, and this wing mirror tilt function, I can reverse park confidently now... the rear is really very high and long, not so easy to park.

its the same with Toyota, need to position L or R.

Try to check whether the mirror tilting is adjustable too or not (ie when in reverse, adjust the mirror how far down or in you want).

• Praise 1

Oh? What do you mean? Do you mean engage reverse gear, then use the mirror adjust joystick to move the mirror lower and it remember to lower it more? Wah... I must try man...

I took a more or less leisurely drive to workplace today... and I get about 12.2 km/L. That's really achieving the claimed fuel consumption of 7.9L/100km = 12.65 km/L. My route is 50% highway & 50% urban. Between 7.45 to 8.15 am. Jurong West via PIE, exit at Eng Neo, Dunearn Road, u-turn to Bukit Timah. 23 km.

I took a more or less leisurely drive to workplace today... and I get about 12.2 km/L. That's really achieving the claimed fuel consumption of 7.9L/100km = 12.65 km/L. My route is 50% highway & 50% urban. Between 7.45 to 8.15 am. Jurong West via PIE, exit at Eng Neo, Dunearn Road, u-turn to Bukit Timah. 23 km.

enjoy while you can. next week school reopen, terrible traffic coming back.

Anyway I tried the lowering of the wing mirrors when engaged in reverse gear! Guess what?! It works!!! I can now see my rear wheel and the parking space markings on the road when I reverse in!!! WOW!!!! Brilliant! Thanks for the tip alphard96!!!

Anyway I tried the lowering of the wing mirrors when engaged in reverse gear! Guess what?! It works!!! I can now see my rear wheel and the parking space markings on the road when I reverse in!!! WOW!!!! Brilliant! Thanks for the tip alphard96!!!

Glad that it works for you. Sonata is good well spec car.

thats the good thing abt local forum, we all learn from each other!

Another report for fuel consumption... went to Sim Lim Square nearby. Forward journey took AYE, exit before MCE then Sheares to Rochor. 12.4 km/L. Forgot to note the distance. Then drove back from Sim Lim Square to Jurong West. Took Bukit Timah to Stevens then entered PIE all the way until Corporation Road exit to my flat, park 5th floor of car park (cos of painting works). 12.9 km/L, 23 km. Cruise control for highway, and about 10% of non-highway.

(edited)

Back to the real world of traffic jams... home to work in the morning school hour rush, 23 km, 11.2 km/L... 50% highway, 50% urban. Cruise control for 75% of highway ride, 0% for non-highways... cruise control really helps save fuel. I was also more in a rush than usual... ha ha ha...

Edited by teomingern
↡ Advertisement