Hyundai Sonata (2015)

Thaiyotakamli

Driving through slow rush hour traffic yesterday evening around 6.35 to about 7.50... Jurong West to Serangoon... fuel consumption only 9.5 km/L... no matter how light I was on the gas... ha ha... return journey was 10.8 km/L cos it was combined with the forward journey and also different route (highway), I think just the return journey should be 12 km/L or so.

This morning, 23 km to work, smoother traffic flow, was not forced to rush like yesterday... clocked 12.2 km/L...

↡ Advertisement

Driving through slow rush hour traffic yesterday evening around 6.35 to about 7.50... Jurong West to Serangoon... fuel consumption only 9.5 km/L... no matter how light I was on the gas... ha ha... return journey was 10.8 km/L cos it was combined with the forward journey and also different route (highway), I think just the return journey should be 12 km/L or so.

This morning, 23 km to work, smoother traffic flow, was not forced to rush like yesterday... clocked 12.2 km/L...

Thanks for making the rest of us feel better by showing that even you can drop below 9.5km/l (even though we'd be even worse). I never thought a 2.0l Nu engine could achieve the real-world figures you've been clocking Truly, driving style is everything. And I'm just too impatient. Probably has something to do with poor time management too. I should know better, hai.

Hyundai's fuel consumption figures are quite accurate cos of the scandal in the US some years back. They were fined very heavily for over-declaring their fuel consumption figures. That's why now whatever they declare, you can achieve with careful management of your driving.

Your FC getting better. It's good that you use the cruise control. With the jam during peak hour, my Tucson no longer able to achieve  above 15 km/l L anymore and reduces to 13km/l only.

Your FC getting better. It's good that you use the cruise control. With the jam during peak hour, my Tucson no longer able to achieve  above 15 km/l L anymore and reduces to 13km/l only.

Wah... jam still can get 13 km/L... you're even a more chill driver than me... for me the impatience still sneaks out once in a while...

Wah... jam still can get 13 km/L... you're even a more chill driver than me... for me the impatience still sneaks out once in a while...

Yea.. i learn to be patience now....driving a 2 litre car in Singapore is bit pain coz too many traffic lights. In one straight road, I can see 4 of them. So I try to anticipate the traffic flow by looking at the traffic lights. If it's red, there is no point to chiong any further to close the gap and then brake suddenly. Having say that, I still see some drivers doing that. it looks like they are in the hurry but then still stuck at the red light and consume more fuel. I also notice people who drive Toyota Vios and BMW like to do this.

driving a 2 litre car in Singapore is bit pain coz too many traffic lights.

Pain because drinks more petrol, or pain because no clear road to truly enjoy the power and smoothness?

Pain because drinks more petrol, or pain because no clear road to truly enjoy the power and smoothness?

Pain cos can't enjoy the sweeping power and wafting ability of my Sonata on an endless cruise... I enjoyed it only once that early morning drive to the airport.

This morning didn't chiong so hard, but still a bit late (not late for work, but late as in not reaching work at my desired timing) and so get 11.2 km/L... not as good... there's a tendency to push the car on non-highway roads. Really can feel the surge of power.

By the way, post here for the benefit of Sonata owners. Laser Shades customized shades for the Sonata 2015 model - $250 for 5 pieces (front not available - not made). Available only from Aug onwards. I will go down for a test fit. Meant for driving with the shades on.

Pain cos can't enjoy the sweeping power and wafting ability of my Sonata on an endless cruise... I enjoyed it only once that early morning drive to the airport.

This morning didn't chiong so hard, but still a bit late (not late for work, but late as in not reaching work at my desired timing) and so get 11.2 km/L... not as good... there's a tendency to push the car on non-highway roads. Really can feel the surge of power.

That makes sense, and I know what you mean. I do mostly city driving except on weekends so I'm almost numb to traffic already.

That makes sense, and I know what you mean. I do mostly city driving except on weekends so I'm almost numb to traffic already.

I seriously hate cruising then having to step on the brakes and get off if cruise control cos of some idiot who can't drive at constant speed and keeps accelerating then slow down, and then repeat and rinse for the whole ride home... very sian... and I'm driving at only 85-90 kmh.

Laser Shades customized shades for the Sonata 2015 model - $250 for 5 pieces (front not available - not made). Available only from Aug onwards. I will go down for a test fit. Meant for driving with the shades on.

Lucky you. I'm still waiting for Laser Shades to do a set for my Legacy. Already in development but no ETA. Take my money already!

Lucky you. I'm still waiting for Laser Shades to do a set for my Legacy. Already in development but no ETA. Take my money already!

I'm not really sure if I want to plonking down so much money for what are really cheap fabric pieces... it's pretty expensive but then again some of those cheap shades emit toxic fumes when under the sun and heat. I hope paying so much for these won't do the same. Our interior is already toxic enough with all the solvent fumes from the new leather and plastics. Interestingly my Sonata doesn't have the new car smell nmr the leather smell. Not sure if this means it's not leather or they treated the leather in such a way that it doesn't emit anything.

I'm not really sure if I want to plonking down so much money for what are really cheap fabric pieces... it's pretty expensive but then again some of those cheap shades emit toxic fumes when under the sun and heat. I hope paying so much for these won't do the same. Our interior is already toxic enough with all the solvent fumes from the new leather and plastics. Interestingly my Sonata doesn't have the new car smell nmr the leather smell. Not sure if this means it's not leather or they treated the leather in such a way that it doesn't emit anything.

They aren't cheap but I figure that I'd use them daily. Sunshades are also a daily bone of contention in my household, with my CO getting irritated at the lack of full window coverage, my sons asking for them, then asking for them to be taken off mid-trip, and me, finally, trying to lower windows slightly after parking in the sun, only to have suction-style shades pop off.

My Legacy's new car smell didn't last very long, which is a relief as one of my kids is very sensitive to strong smells.

Ah ha ha... still single... don't experience yet... my parents aren't so fussy... maybe in a couple of years' time I may face the same issues...

Pain in the ass can't enjoy a smooth drive not to mention consume more fuel and burn wallet

Pain in the ass can't enjoy a smooth drive not to mention consume more fuel and burn wallet

I can understand that for sure. Plus risk making passengers car sick. Plus stop-go is hard on car engine and parts.

Tried using the sports mode today for stop-start traffic... hmmm.... not sure if it helped the fuel consumption or not but today was 12.1 km/L going to work. I noticed the revs are kept higher even when I let off the accelerator completely, keeping revs high lets the car respond faster but the constant roar of the engine at 2-3K RPM isn't very pleasant lar... I switched back to normal mode once the traffic smoothed out. So I used it very little only over the course of the journey today.

Tried using the sports mode today for stop-start traffic... hmmm.... not sure if it helped the fuel consumption or not but today was 12.1 km/L going to work. I noticed the revs are kept higher even when I let off the accelerator completely, keeping revs high lets the car respond faster but the constant roar of the engine at 2-3K RPM isn't very pleasant lar... I switched back to normal mode once the traffic smoothed out. So I used it very little only over the course of the journey today.

You don't like the roar of your engine?! Keeping the revs up really does wonders for navigating in traffic with our NA engines. On my Legacy, I've taken to using I mode on expressways and smooth long roads, and S mode for everything else.
↡ Advertisement