Hyundai Sonata (2015)

Thaiyotakamli

Yes! I am a proud owner of LF Sonata S/R.

Collected the car on Saturday. Went to the basement carpark of Komoco to transfer the stuff in the older Tucson over to the new Sonata. All over in 30mins.

They now give HP dash cam, squarish looking, very similar to the one used in cabs. I would have preferred my Blackvue wifi 650, cylinder shape that hid behind the rearview mirror of my previous ride. Aesthetic wise, the HP cam makes the car look cheap, very cheap.

Last night I saw 2 LF Sonata along Jurong area. 1 was travelling into Boon Lay after Jurong JC. Another around Jurong West before Google.

So far ok. Tested all 3 drive modes. Eco is really heavy and Sport mode rev too high, at 2.5 to my liking, coz fuel consumption sure suffer. Tested the cruise as well. All well. Cruise increase from 80 to 90 adjusted using the buttons without need to re-set the cruise speed.

Safety features are all good even though I got shocked initially by the alarm sound eg blindspot detection on and I signaled. I particularly like the fact that the car won't start if the brake pedal is not stepped on and depressed.

I have travelled close to 300km from about 25km. Just pumped 1st full tank tank yesterday. According to the system, full tank can over 640km.

Cheers.

The mileage is quite normal at 640 km. You should get better once you travel more highway... my best was 700+ km. Clocked 720 km on one tank until fuel indicator light came on. But once only... most I clock about 640-660 km before the fuel indicator lights up.

Lots more stuff to find out... ha ha ha... enjoy the car... it's really very enjoyable to drive.

Last night is Sun night or Mon night? If Mon then you might have seem my car... ha ha ha...

↡ Advertisement

Hmmmm it should be Sunday night. This morning I saw 1 LF Sonata around Jurong area - Nanyang entering PIE towards KJE. Another at Yishun - at the junction of Northpoint.

This may be premature, but I'm having 7.9l/100km about 12.5km/l. Also it seems like eco is less fuel efficient comparing to normal (8.1l/100km vs 7.9l/100km respectively).

I suppose there isn't a Sonata Club in SG. I've joined the Malaysian FB group for knowledge. It seems their LF Sonata has same specs as ours in SG.

Cheers.

Hmmmm it should be Sunday night. This morning I saw 1 LF Sonata around Jurong area - Nanyang entering PIE towards KJE. Another at Yishun - at the junction of Northpoint.

This may be premature, but I'm having 7.9l/100km about 12.5km/l. Also it seems like eco is less fuel efficient comparing to normal (8.1l/100km vs 7.9l/100km respectively).

I suppose there isn't a Sonata Club in SG. I've joined the Malaysian FB group for knowledge. It seems their LF Sonata has same specs as ours in SG.

Cheers.

Their Sonata has higher specs than ours... it's considered a premium car there...

I don't know if Eco is better or Normal... I just use Eco all the time... I have run on it for about one year now with intermittent use of Normal mode in the early life of this car.

I will switch to Normal next tank cos it's just after one year. Will use Normal for one year and see what I get.

For Eco mode, I get about 10.8 to 12.5 km/L over the past year. This is calculated by dividing the distance over the number of litres of petrol. It's very dependent on the traffic condition, type of road and time of the day. My most common figure is 11.5 km/L... it's about 50/50 highway/city.

Hope you get better figures... you seem to drive highways more?

Yeah your figures will definitely be more accurate. I will continue with the normal mode for now. I can be impatient but with a new car, I will be more mindful as observed by my wife but again old habits die hard. Hopefully the FC can maintain at 12km/l for the next 6 months. My travel is about 70/30 (expressway/city) and per travel is about 35km - 40km average per day about 72km.

By the way I have found out the HU of LF Sonata. It seems to be the same as K5. Need to know how to get the voice from GPS louder without affecting the radio.

http://www.lazada.sg/car-dvd-player-auto-radio-gps-navigation-bluetooth-sd-for-kia-k52014-intl-8828768.html?ff=1

Have also checked with SE on the installation of the solar film. Anyone knows if there will be any significant difference with and without the film (basing on the fact that it's free and therefore will not be premium)?

I am also looking for good and effective car and boot customised mats. Anyone knows anyone?

Cheers.

I am not heavy-footed and my travel pattern is exactly opposite of yours with 70/30 city/highway as my workplace is near home. On short trips can only manage about 8km/l but on occasional highway travel, i get 11-12km/l. So i think it is pretty in-line with stated numbers.

For the FOC solar film, really depends if you do a lot of day travelling or not. If you want the more premium 3M crystalline from the same installer, you can do top-up. Anyway this comes with 10-year warranty so if want, might as well do now to enjoy the full life-span i.e get the depreciation over 10 full years  

Btw, did you or bro Mingern notice any minor rattling noise at the passenger door or any doors? Suspect mine got something loose or wire hitting the sides each time going over bad uneven surfaces. Might do some DIY to dismantle it to have a look... 

Yeah your figures will definitely be more accurate. I will continue with the normal mode for now. I can be impatient but with a new car, I will be more mindful as observed by my wife but again old habits die hard. Hopefully the FC can maintain at 12km/l for the next 6 months. My travel is about 70/30 (expressway/city) and per travel is about 35km - 40km average per day about 72km.

By the way I have found out the HU of LF Sonata. It seems to be the same as K5. Need to know how to get the voice from GPS louder without affecting the radio.

http://www.lazada.sg/car-dvd-player-auto-radio-gps-navigation-bluetooth-sd-for-kia-k52014-intl-8828768.html?ff=1

Have also checked with SE on the installation of the solar film. Anyone knows if there will be any significant difference with and without the film (basing on the fact that it's free and therefore will not be premium)?

I am also looking for good and effective car and boot customised mats. Anyone knows anyone?

Cheers.

Dive into the menu and go to Settings. You have to change the settings here. If I don't remember wrongly, there is also an option in the GPS software itself.

Solar film - yes there is a signficant difference. If you're travelling a lot as you indicated, it helps reduce UV radiation, you don't get tanned, the interior won't break down so easily, and your aircon won't work as hard. I paid $1300 for VKool for the 2nd best package. I would have paid $50 for the best, but they said the film got problem, cannot use. 

Do you like the trough type mats? Weather Tech does pretty good stuff... But they are very costly. Lots of stuff from this link. I was tempted sorely... but just too costly. I think the quality is pretty good lar... From Oz...

http://www.weathertech.com/hyundai/2015/sonata/cargo-liner/sonata-engine/standard/

I am not heavy-footed and my travel pattern is exactly opposite of yours with 70/30 city/highway as my workplace is near home. On short trips can only manage about 8km/l but on occasional highway travel, i get 11-12km/l. So i think it is pretty in-line with stated numbers.

For the FOC solar film, really depends if you do a lot of day travelling or not. If you want the more premium 3M crystalline from the same installer, you can do top-up. Anyway this comes with 10-year warranty so if want, might as well do now to enjoy the full life-span i.e get the depreciation over 10 full years  

Btw, did you or bro Mingern notice any minor rattling noise at the passenger door or any doors? Suspect mine got something loose or wire hitting the sides each time going over bad uneven surfaces. Might do some DIY to dismantle it to have a look... 

Got the rattling sound... very irritating... it's loose wires or parts inside the wing mirrors. It isn't very loud, but sufficient to be noticeable... I told them to take a look at my 10K service but nothing was done and I wasn't free to quibble anymore... so I left it. 

It started with my right wing mirror, plus the reading lamp, left side. Now my left door or wing mirror also got a bit of rattle.

My only concern with installing solar film is the possibility of getting scratches. I had a bad experience for my previous ride. If the FOC solar film is not going to be of much use, I will likely forgo the installation.

Hmmm haven't noticed any rattling however soft it may be. I'll have both ears up. Report back again on this.

Cheers

Edited by MGP17

Dive into the menu and go to Settings. You have to change the settings here. If I don't remember wrongly, there is also an option in the GPS software itself.

Solar film - yes there is a signficant difference. If you're travelling a lot as you indicated, it helps reduce UV radiation, you don't get tanned, the interior won't break down so easily, and your aircon won't work as hard. I paid $1300 for VKool for the 2nd best package. I would have paid $50 for the best, but they said the film got problem, cannot use.

Do you like the trough type mats? Weather Tech does pretty good stuff... But they are very costly. Lots of stuff from this link. I was tempted sorely... but just too costly. I think the quality is pretty good lar... From Oz...

http://www.weathertech.com/hyundai/2015/sonata/cargo-liner/sonata-engine/standard/

Got the rattling sound... very irritating... it's loose wires or parts inside the wing mirrors. It isn't very loud, but sufficient to be noticeable... I told them to take a look at my 10K service but nothing was done and I wasn't free to quibble anymore... so I left it.

It started with my right wing mirror, plus the reading lamp, left side. Now my left door or wing mirror also got a bit of rattle.

Ok thanks for the information. Good stuff. So far haven't heard any rattling. Too busy experiencing the ride I suppose ha. Will pay more attention and report back.

Komoco just opened a new service centre in the east. Maybe the service staff there can help look into the rattling sound.

Cheers

I had the same concerns on the solar film installation. Glad no major mishap from the installation but honestly, the workmanship could be better.

On the rattling, I finally solved it!

Dismantled the passenger side door and found the 2 key point culprit for the creak/rattle.

1. The bundle of wires at the side mirror area. They are somehow bound together with a tape material that feels like plastic bag. Creaks every time with the slightest movement or touch. Used some black and insulating tape to wrap around.

2. The cables near the door handle area (from the back). Used some insulation tape to restrict the movement

The rattle/creak only happen when going over very bad surface or potholes but I have very low tolerance for these. Today, a happy man again.  

My only concern with installing solar film is the possibility of getting scratches. I had a bad experience for my previous ride. If the FOC solar film is not going to be of much use, I will likely forgo the installation.

Hmmm haven't noticed any rattling however soft it may be. I'll have both ears up. Report back again on this.

Cheers

Scratches where? Interior? No lar... I watched them do the installation... I went to the outlet at Toh Guan which was the one recommended by my SE... they were pretty careful except that they nicked the right side aircon vent with the knife... but not obvious lar... on the balance having solar film is more important lar...

Hi I am new here.

Just ordered a Sonata last Sunday and got the COE on first try on Wednesday (6 bids NG).

Happy to join the exclusive group of Sonata owners here.

Was deciding between the Teana and Sonata, but eventually the price (non S/R version) and the space at the back, and definitely the good reviews here won me over.

Now waiting for shipment to arrive in mid-May according to SE.

Just check with you guys how is the solar film that they are giving free? Should I upgrade to a better solar film? Or should I get the magnetic laser shades?

• Praise 1

I had the same concerns on the solar film installation. Glad no major mishap from the installation but honestly, the workmanship could be better.

On the rattling, I finally solved it!

Dismantled the passenger side door and found the 2 key point culprit for the creak/rattle.

1. The bundle of wires at the side mirror area. They are somehow bound together with a tape material that feels like plastic bag. Creaks every time with the slightest movement or touch. Used some black and insulating tape to wrap around.

2. The cables near the door handle area (from the back). Used some insulation tape to restrict the movement

The rattle/creak only happen when going over very bad surface or potholes but I have very low tolerance for these. Today, a happy man again.  

Good info! So far I haven't heard any rattling noise.

Yes in my last experience on solar film installation, I had a deep scratched on the side of the car, on the door of the front passenger. Though they agreed to fix it for me, to me it's scratched nonetheless. Kind of a new car syndrome, everything also must "swee swee", no flaws, whatsoever. So, because of that bad experience, I am still considering. FOC solar film should not be significant in terms of UV block. Let's see how it goes with time.

Cheers

• Praise 1

Scratches where? Interior? No lar... I watched them do the installation... I went to the outlet at Toh Guan which was the one recommended by my SE... they were pretty careful except that they nicked the right side aircon vent with the knife... but not obvious lar... on the balance having solar film is more important lar...

Yes, scratched on the exterior. I wish I have your patience. Need to do more fishing perhaps.

I don't get to see the sun much while driving to work. Weekends yes, I see more. Let's see how long I can go without solar film. For the FOC installation, I suppose it has 1 month expiry date. Still got time to consider.

Cheers

Hi I am new here.

Just ordered a Sonata last Sunday and got the COE on first try on Wednesday (6 bids NG).

Was deciding between the Teana and Sonata, but eventually the price (non S/R version) and the space at the back, and definitely the good reviews here won me over.

Just check with you guys how is the solar film that they are giving free? Should I upgrade to a better solar film? Or should I get the magnetic laser shades?

Hi there

Congrats! I am relatively new in this forum too. I just got my ride 2 Saturdays ago. Always good to see fellow Sonata drivers on the road. It is a good ride yet few on the road. The numbers on the road doesn't quite justify the quality of the car.

Solar film, well I haven't installed. In fact I am still considering. IMO I suppose the FOC installation is a basic tier. If you want better grade of solar film in UV block, you will need to upgrade. Hmmm well, I may be wrong since I haven't installed.

Cheers.

Good info! So far I haven't heard any rattling noise.

Yes in my last experience on solar film installation, I had a deep scratched on the side of the car, on the door of the front passenger. Though they agreed to fix it for me, to me it's scratched nonetheless. Kind of a new car syndrome, everything also must "swee swee", no flaws, whatsoever. So, because of that bad experience, I am still considering. FOC solar film should not be significant in terms of UV block. Let's see how it goes with time.

Cheers

It is not that critical if you dun drive in the sun for most part. But I see it as a small investment over the whole scheme of things even if you top up a bit for the premium grade. You get to enjoy the benefits (cooler car even if marginally, less strain for the aircon, protection for the interior etc) over the next 10 years. Can think about it.

Hi I am new here.

Wise Choice! Seem like there is an influx of member recently. 

I got mine too after looking at the facelift model and still prefer the more elegant conservative boring look of the current model.

This car is not photogenic at all. A lot of things and design (especially interior) are flush so look very plain in picture.

New model really more for angmo taste (US market) who prefer something louder and more stylo milo. 

Hi I am new here.

Wow! Congrats!!! Welcome here!!! More kakis to talk about the car...

Quick update after driving for a year and two weeks...

Car's great... switched from Eco to Normal... power is great!!! Hahaha... never drive Eco again...

Last tank from Eco mode was 11.92 km/L. Average is 11.5 km/L for Eco mode after one year.

Will report my first tank on Normal.

My 8" screen hung last night. Parts of the screen did not display. Was running normally all this while. Tried to press the power button to reboot while driving but it seemed to only put the screen to sleep. On powering on again, it just resumed playing back the mp3 from my USB drive. As I did it a few times, each time I powered on, th volume got louder. Finally I lost control over the volume, either turning the knob or my steering controls. Powered down the screen until I reached my car park. Turned off the engine, leaving the screen off. Turned on the engine, then powered up the screen. Everything back to normal. Then this morning, all ok also. Just now drive back from work, all ok also... probably a software glitch... electronics... sigh...

Wise Choice! Seem like there is an influx of member recently. 

I got mine too after looking at the facelift model and still prefer the more elegant conservative boring look of the current model.

This car is not photogenic at all. A lot of things and design (especially interior) are flush so look very plain in picture.

New model really more for angmo taste (US market) who prefer something louder and more stylo milo. 

Actually I think I like the face-lifted look leh... a bit more chrome on the grille slats... quite nice leh... hahaha...

Yes, scratched on the exterior. I wish I have your patience. Need to do more fishing perhaps.

I don't get to see the sun much while driving to work. Weekends yes, I see more. Let's see how long I can go without solar film. For the FOC installation, I suppose it has 1 month expiry date. Still got time to consider.

Cheers

Fishing? No lar... I don't do fishing... hehehe... just sit and see how they do it lor... it's quite fascinating leh...

Just a word of caution... try not to install the FOC film, then take it off and go for something better quality... not good for the glass surface... sometimes got residue that can't be seen but when you put the new film on, you see imperfections... very annoying and ugly... you can get a $300 rebate from your V-Kool installation. What I mean is that they will give you $300 off your V-Kool installation if you opt for V-Kool instead of the FOC film.

Taste is personal.... no right or wrong. Haha.. no matter, we are still a rare sight on the road. Once face-lift come, it will seal our exclusivity.

↡ Advertisement