Ital Auto sued over crashed Ferrari

1fast1

lesson here is if can't afford don;t buy

there is a reason why the insurance is so expensive

This is completely irrelevant here.

what happen to traction control?

thought it is standard on these high end models?

Traction control won't help you unless you have at least one driven wheel that still has traction. So it won't help in aquaplaning or a large oil slick.

And of course, TC can be turned off. On Ferraris, the setting is on the steering, within easy reach. No one except the test driver can know what happened, unless logged data is pulled off the ECU.

In fact, I think the owner's first step should be to get a court order to enjoin the dealer from tampering with the ECU logged data, and to get an independent read of it.

↡ Advertisement

Once a car has been signed over to a dealership for service, should the dealer not take responsibility for the car?

There's obviously some wordplay going on here - Ital claims it was not damaged beyond repair, but insurers might deem it damaged beyond economical repair......It appears the dispute is whether the car should be repaired or written off. Somewhere along the way, that needs to be arbitrated. Whether Ital knows the original sale price of the car to the owner is irrelevant - their insurer should be looking at the cost of repair against the current market value of the car.

Somewhere along the line, the issue of loss of value in having a severe accident would come up - it has entered public record that this particular car had an accident that was severe enough to strip its rim from its spokes. You can change the licence plate number but not the engine/chassis number. That can't simply be glossed over by stating that the car has been repaired "as good as new", can it?

This car only 1 owner. Article mentioned its a used car. By 'used' I assume current owner did not buy new from AD or PI.

This is not about affordability issue.

Look at the date, it was up for sale back in 2012. And the current owner isn't the first owner, as he bought it used. The registration dates match.

for supercar, after serciving ... during test drive better record whole time

1. to protect ownself if it is really mechanical error

2. to collect proof for litigation and liability

3. this is upmost critical ... to deter mechanic to have a joyride in ferrari ... redline even at small road ... vroom vroom ... no amount of SOP can deter mechanic to vroom vroom the car ... unless they knew they are monitored and video-log

actually point 3 should be apply to all car ...

a portable video-cam suction on windscreen is sibei cheap now

v-log test drive, download the video for safekeeping for 30 days before deletion

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

Fight is over valuation and compensation amount for this car, full stop. Obviously owner wanted $x and Ital only thinks that it is worth $y. Let the lawyers fight and make some money off BOTH parties.....

Turbocharged

Once a car has been signed over to a dealership for service, should the dealer not take responsibility for the car?

thats what i was thinking when i read the article in the morning ... otherwise, whats the point to handover to them? there doesnt seem to be any responsibility on their part.

owner already "suggested" 1 of 8 car in singapore leh ...

hence, no $1M no talk la ...

Fight is over valuation and compensation amount for this car, full stop. Obviously owner wanted $x and Ital only thinks that it is worth $y. Let the lawyers fight and make some money off BOTH parties.....

Turbocharged

I'd suggest that a post service test drive for most things is expected and normal - and for what it's worth it used to be (not sure now) that every single Lambo was test driven prior to leaving factory.

And as mentioned already - I don't think its a matter of liability - the workshop obviously liable, and I would expect that it is covered by their insurance.

The question is - how much compensation - and that's where the wordplay is coming in

i c. just read the post in stomp.

not sure if the company insurance will take care of it but again don think owner will get back the full amount he bought.

This is completely irrelevant here.

Supersonic

Considering that its Ltd Edition ( and only 8 in Sin), would it appreciate like luxury high end watches do?

But Vs OBS, frankly, I don't think the Ferr owner would get compensation in his favour. He is simply too elite and well connected.

Maybe if the compensation is really unacceptable, the owner could write to the manufacturer directly.

Turbocharged

Considering that its Ltd Edition ( and only 8 in Sin), would it appreciate like luxury high end watches do?

But Vs OBS, frankly, I don't think the Ferr owner would get compensation in his favour. He is simply too elite and well connected.

Maybe if the compensation is really unacceptable, the owner could write to the manufacturer directly.

people like obs tk also? [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

Juz saw 1 scud last friday night parked next to Conrad Hotel.

That scud had MS autograph.

Wow! Maria Sharapova! What kind of autograph? Lao chup on the leather seat?

Or is it Marge Simpson?!?!

Turbocharged

Travelling in a straight line.... 68 km/h.... skidded and collided.

Just got me thinking: if I imported a Ferrari very cheaply with serious damage to the chassis, brake/stability system or engine, and I fixed it up outside or other countries, and then sent it to the AD fully knowing that the AD will assume liability after full servicing, and then sell it for a profit on the used car market, wouldn't that be a great business model?

Cos I do know of many dealers in UK selling damaged rides very cheaply. BUt you have to fix it up yourself.

buy from these UK dealers such a cheap car and then do it up, depending on the degree of the damages and the budget for repair, the car may not be safe for high speed, but good enough to cruise at 40kmh along geylang and wave / honk at passersby!! [laugh][:p]

Supercharged

write to Ferrari for wat?

y would Ferrari get involved?

Turbocharged

write to Ferrari for wat?

y would Ferrari get involved?

Part of the reason the previous dealer lost the franchise was because of poor aftersales

You can be sure that Ferrari will be very very involved in keeping owners happy

buy from these UK dealers such a cheap car and then do it up, depending on the degree of the damages and the budget for repair, the car may not be safe for high speed, but good enough to cruise at 40kmh along geylang and wave / honk at passersby!! [laugh][:p]

Yup! That's the idea. :D 40 km/h good enough. Just don't hit 68 km/h....