LTA cracks down on illegal rental car 'taxis'

Darthrevan

ST_20140428_CTGRAB28_271356e.jpg

As phone apps for booking a taxi or a limo get more popular, drivers with rental cars are also jumping in to grab these calls, according to car rental industry sources.

These drivers are breaking the law; and this has prompted the Land Transport Authority (LTA) to act.
LTA officials met car rental companies and taxi operators last week to remind them of the rules, the second time it has done so in less than a year.
Other than taxis, only company-owned vehicles insured as limousines and driven by its employees are allowed under the law to ferry passengers for a fee.
This rule is to ensure passengers are covered by insurance should something go wrong during the journey.
Those caught flouting the law can be fined up to $3,000 or jailed for up to six months or both. The cars involved may also be impounded.
As it is difficult for commuters to distinguish legal limos from illegal ones, industry players are suggesting safeguards. Mr. Peter Cheong, President of the Vehicle Rental Association, advises people hiring a limo via mobile apps to ask for a written assurance from the rental or leasing company that the vehicle used is legal. The association has also advised its members not to rent their cars to those who intend to use them for ferrying commuters.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

As phone apps for booking a taxi or a limo get more popular, drivers with rental cars are also jumping in to grab these calls, according to car rental industry sources.

Huh! Got people purposely rent a car to ferry passengers for a fare? With petrol cost + ERP+ etc...can profit meh ?

Huh! Got people purposely rent a car to ferry passengers for a fare? With petrol cost + ERP+ etc...can profit meh ?

you'll be surprised..take a look at this post

My school mate last time used to rent a van to do hamper delivery during CNY period. After all the deductions, he still made decent money...

Hmm... If I take a private car as taxi, something go wrong, I will just find a lawyer and sue the driver for third party claim.

If driver is a friend, after claims 50/50 with him/her for him/her to top up the additional premium.

If driver not friend, let insurance/legal firm go after him.

What law cannot ferry others?

It's not law, it's monopolization.

• Praise 8

you use your own car ferry people but never get money, gahment say you very good....take in the more the merrier, whole car full best...

you use your own car ferry people but with money, even for a dollar, YOU COMMITTED A CRIME....

• Praise 11

'cos taxi and bus companies lugi mah... Lost of income opportunity.

you use your own car ferry people but with money, even for a dollar, YOU COMMITTED A CRIME....

• Praise 2

you use your own car ferry people but never get money, gahment say you very good....take in the more the merrier, whole car full best...

Wrong...you earn 1 dollar they must tax u for $1 else is crime.

• Praise 4

Hmm... If I take a private car as taxi, something go wrong, I will just find a lawyer and sue the driver for third party claim.

If driver is a friend, after claims 50/50 with him/her for him/her to top up the additional premium.

If driver not friend, let insurance/legal firm go after him.

What law cannot ferry others?

It's not law, it's monopolization.

If private car can be used as taxi, we are back to the 60s that they call it 霸王车.

In this case I think they refer to rented vehicle (mostly luxury sedan as limousine service) tapping on the apps to fetch customer.

• Praise 1

'cos taxi and bus companies lugi mah... Lost of income opportunity.

And who does these companies belong to?

Renting from rental companies is definitely cheaper than renting from taxi operators like Comfort. There is arbitrage opportunity as long as a person is willing to slog it out to drive the whole day.

• Praise 2

at the end of the day, if gahman cant find a way to tax u on your income.. IT IS A CRIME TO EARN THIS $$!!!

at the end of the day, it is all $$ politics....

in SG as long as u pay gahman $$$ it will be legal...

look at geyland... what is the difference between pimp sitting inside the house and pimp standing on the street?? very obvious right??

• Praise 2

got! i got one friend become private taxi and tour guide as well with his stream.

Not bad additional income can earn 4 digit per month. can pay car installment, petrol, erp plus daily meal

now talking about this, i suddenly had the urge to join this industry with my car :D

you can take other people money including your family one but dont ever try to take what gahmen belong one! [:p]

Edited by Thaiyotakamli
  • Praise 2

Supercharged

that is the problem with our G.

they want us to be creative. they want us to be self sufficient. they want us to be hungry.

and when we do... they say it is illegal.

WTF?!?

• Praise 6

I think we need to consider the taxi drivers situation.

They are losing money to these ah-hoc rental cars.

Some taxi drivers really need their income to pay off taxi companies fees, diesel, and put in a decent amt of money for food on table for their families.

As much as some of us do not like the driving patterns of some taxi drivers, but we can't deny them to work a decent livelihood for their families.

Just my small 5 cents worth of personal opinion :)

Supercharged

I think we need to consider the taxi drivers situation.

They are losing money to these ah-hoc rental cars.

Some taxi drivers really need their income to pay off taxi companies fees, diesel, and put in a decent amt of money for food on table for their families.

As much as some of us do not like the driving patterns of some taxi drivers, but we can't deny them to work a decent livelihood for their families.

Just my small 5 cents worth of personal opinion :)

this is not denying them their livelihood.

this is call filling in gaps where service is lacking.

the problems with taxis today is not solely the drivers problem. (ie bad and lax attitude towards getting a fare) though not all of them are like that. BTW, my dad used to be a taxi driver. so please, no shit about me not knowing what it is like to be a cab driver.

the companies that rent them their cabs are also part of the problem. (ie lousy booking system, high rental fees, high fees for being part of that lousy booking system... etc)

I see no problem with people being creative, and actively finding that service gap and do something about it.

the ball was in the taxi's court (both driver and company), but instead of improving their service and meet the competition head on, they cry to ma&pa. so now, the creativity wings are clipped.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1