• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
468 replies to this topic | 1,176 praises

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

Scion
  • Scion
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

watching this clip makes me hungry

one of my favourite local food

wonder if we can still eat it 15/20 years later? [:(]

2 Anonymous members praised this

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

Ender
  • Premium member
    Ender
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Yes, I tried a few times only. I agree this is the best CKT I tasted.

1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

Still prefer the Penang style.
骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

Voodooman
  • Voodooman
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Bedok?

I still prefer penang style CKT.

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

Vhtfhwlego
  • Premium member
    Vhtfhwlego
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

talk to anyone from St Andrew's Jr School.
SAJS' former CKT still the best and we willing to pay $20 for a plate also cannot find owner anymore.
Maldini03, Hotshot85 and 1 Anonymous member praised this
24th Aug 2006, we lost a planet!

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

Scion
  • Scion
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

i think number of good CKT in Singapore now is less than one palm (5 counting fingers)

sad.... maybe CKT will be the next local food to extinct after kok kok mee

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

Alheych
  • Alheych
    Supercharged
    Author Image

the uncle has suffered a serious fall last year; he fell off his own roof while attempting to conduct some repairs, so he's now retired.

the stall is now run by his sister and his son. personally i can't tell the difference in quality, it's still the best in town, but there're some people who say it's not the same anymore.

here's a photo of him, from Tan Chuan-Jin's facebook. didn't think he would be wheelchair bound. :(

10152595_693451790697599_2088271023_n.jp

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

LoverofCar
  • Premium member
    LoverofCar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

老夫子?

''Don't take life too serious...learn to forgive and forget..after all.....no one get out of life......alive''

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:06 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

老夫子?

He hardly stay in the store, always see someone else is behind the wok <_<
骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

During my time, when it came to Char Kway Teow, we only knew NUS Arts canteen.

Many years have passed, not sure if the stall is still there and the food is still eatable.

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

Alheych
  • Alheych
    Supercharged
    Author Image

老夫子?

sorry to say but i really think it is crap now. even a normal kopitiam-food court ckt will beat it.

TJX praised this

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

Tohto
  • Premium member
    Tohto
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

watching this clip makes me hungry

one of my favourite local food

wonder if we can still eat it 15/20 years later? [:(]

Is this the Hill Street char kway teow at Bedok south?

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:00 PM

Chucky2007
  • Premium member
    Chucky2007
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Beach road market 翠绿ckt.. Consistent taste all the time.. It's not bad, may not be the best bit never disappoint

Is this the Hill Street char kway teow at Bedok south?

yes located at bedok south now
有❤️就好👌
多做少说,多听👂少讲
做人吃点亏,莫占人便宜

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:03 PM

Relagsingh
  • Premium member
    Relagsingh
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

i think number of good CKT in Singapore now is less than one palm (5 counting fingers)

sad.... maybe CKT will be the next local food to extinct after kok kok mee

Another will be red hill hawker centre. Old couple. Then the leafy vege CKT at pasir panjang.

Most of the good CKT stalls were ran by old uncles. I have to agree that it'll be one of the lost unique hawker culinary dishes in the near future.

Very sad.

.:.:.:.:.::: Shoot the driver... Not the car :::.:.:.:.:.

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

Tohto
  • Premium member
    Tohto
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

老夫子?

Tried once. Not nice.

The one TS post is the best.

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

Viceroymenthol
  • Viceroymenthol
    Supercharged
    Author Image

the uncle has suffered a serious fall last year; he fell off his own roof while attempting to conduct some repairs, so he's now retired.

the stall is now run by his sister and his son. personally i can't tell the difference in quality, it's still the best in town, but there're some people who say it's not the same anymore.

here's a photo of him, from Tan Chuan-Jin's facebook. didn't think he would be wheelchair bound. :(

10152595_693451790697599_2088271023_n.jp

You see or not, my friends?  Fry CKT fry until can stay in bungalow!

If you are good, the money will come in.

If you are very very good, no need to say liao.

Nightkids, Yewheng and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

Daywalker
  • Daywalker
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

During my time, when it came to Char Kway Teow, we only knew NUS Arts canteen.

Many years have passed, not sure if the stall is still there and the food is still eatable.

yes yes!!

very nice :)

I also wanna knw if still there?

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

Myxilplix
  • Myxilplix
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I miss the newton CKT when he used to operate from the old shophouse near newton circus. Good times.

A line of paint on a road holds more authority than I ever will.

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:32 PM

Little_prince
  • Premium member
    Little_prince
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

in its heyday hillstreet ckt is by far the best in sg.

right now. standard dropped. still good just not great.
"Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it'll spend it's whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

HungryPaPa - https://instagram.com/hungrypapa/

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:37 PM

Meanmachine
  • Premium member
    Meanmachine
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Behind every successful hawker, there is a price to pay.

a/make so money to pay doctor and TCM for cure

b/ Super long hours than office worker, ( 4o' clock sunrise and close at 11pm, )

c/ No REST day, no CPF, no weekends off and no break

d) Can buy property or not is subj to sheer hard work, many give up after illness, breathing in fried cook stuff,  CKY pork lard, unhealthy lifestyle

e/ Many old man trying to save on landed pty maint / repairs DIY on roof structure, thy forgot they are not 30-40yo man.

My old colleagues is managing few zhi char in various food courts, he has burn mark on left and right hands, not very rich but can invest in wines and stocks & shares.

That is why most men suffer more than women.

Disclaimer: Some content may not be accepted by all as we are not trained counseller / adviser, we seek your tolerant. My advice is based on experiences / exposure/s committed to give an honest & direct answer, no profanity & accusation to be taken of any kind, in an event that it misfired, it should be taken as a pinch of salt. Thank you !

Back to Makan Corner  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: best, char kway teow, char, kway and 1 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users