Singapore Airlines Plane in trouble again

Dru8999

What I hope the armchair keyboard pilots realize is, the pilots that made the decision are also on board the same airplane as the passengers and are just as likely to die in any ensuing conflagration arising from the fuel tanks going boom.

They assessed the situation (surely the fire alarms were going off on the flight deck) and decided the best course of action is as we saw. 

Its easy for us to sit behind our computers, at the kopitiam, with the luxury of time, to say he/they could/should have done this or that. Its easy for us to say, yeah, they could have just used the escape chutes on the other side of the plane, right? I am sure the pilots are much more invested than we are - wouldn't you agree?

Let's not forget just last year, an SIA 777 suffered twin engine flameouts and the flight resumed without drama. They have their procedures and they proved they train for emergencies regularly and have procedures in place to secure the best outcomes possible.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

.....Emergency crews rush in and put out fire without any fears as a team ( Our own local chinese and malay Singaporeans!) Fast and swift!

Good that majority look at the bright side and thankful for the good outcome.

Possibly anyone will be afraid to come very near to the fire, but they remain professional from their regular training.

Well done airport firefighters (Airport Emergency Services)

ps: Heard there is an Indian firefighter too..and the Muslims firemen were fasting at that time.

Congrats CAAS, CAG, SQ, AES and Singapore and anyone who were involved!

• Praise 4

once in a life time experience   [sweatdrop]  [sweatdrop]

hmmm...is it just me or I am thinking 'final destination'.  I wonder [lipsrsealed]  [lipsrsealed]

Sth like, 'if it is destined, it WILL be.......'

Let's see further down the road with this incident in mind and the passengers on board....

Turbocharged
(edited)

My fortune Master told me I will live pass 86 years old, and so I am never worry when I board a plane. Maybe I will start to worry after my 85th birthday...LOL  :yeah-im-not-drunk:

Edited by Nicfoo

(edited)

That's just a "weather" forecast... with clauses, exclusions and disclaimers and I am sure taking a flight was never inside the parameters.

Take a macro view, not micro view in bazi prediction.

My fortune Master told me I will live pass 86 years old, and so I am never worry when I board a plane. Maybe I will start to worry after my 85th birthday...LOL  :yeah-im-not-drunk:

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

i only know the GOOD DIE YOUNG

you shd be around till 2115 :grin:  can jion @2bdriver who shd go in 2116

for you you will die from earthquakes...confirm.  Like below

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

i only know the GOOD DIE YOUNG

you shd be around till 2115 :grin:  can jion @2bdriver who shd go in 2116

for you you will die from earthquakes...confirm.  Like below

And since you are going to be around till 2117, let's have a party in 2114 before i go, a farewell party...LOL

BTW, it makes me feel so great that I am going 2 years younger than you..."GOOD DIE YOUNG..ER" :grin:

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

That's just a "weather" forecast... with clauses, exclusions and disclaimers and I am sure taking a flight was never inside the parameters.

Take a macro view, not micro view in bazi prediction.

That was meant as a joke bro, OK my joke not funny...LOL

I don't really believe in fortune talks, I believe that life is fate and fated, when it's time to go, we go, so simple...LOL

Hi bro, some technical questions if you are able to illuminate me? Thanks

When the plane is on the ground and the wing burning, I suppose the fuel tanks in the wing will have as little fuel as the pilot could possibly try to keep.

For the landing, was the starboard engine shut down? Can the B777 land with one engine?

If it can land with the starboard engine shut down, the likelihood of fire is less. I see in the video that the engine may be running. Can't be sure. 

Looking at the fire burn through the entire wing structure, I think the fire was rather small and the tanks should probably be rather empty.

operating procedures will require pilots to shut down the leaked engine (engines operate at high temperature of near 800 degrees) and the plane is to be flown on one engine. Do note that a twin engine loses one engine (50% power loss) the plane performance drops by more than 50%, some up to 80% drop in performance. Thus the plane cannot be flown at operating ceiling of FL400 (40k ft) but have to fly at much lower altitude with higher fuel burn.

ETOPS only applies to twin engines where in even to single engine loss, the aircraft must be within suitable landing zone of a specific timeframe. Eg, ETOPS 180 applies to twins engine aircrafts on routes with diversion time more than 180 minutes at one engine inoperative speed.. Meaning the aircraft is allowed to fly on one engine up to a maximum of 180 mins. ETOPS stands for Extened Range twin-engine operational performance standards, or as pilot jokes, Engine Turn or Pilots Swim.

In any landing, pilots always land with minimum fuel (with allowances for delays, holding and diversion), this is not restricted to emergency landing. Exception to this rule is if there is fire onboard near the engines inflight then pilots may execute a more dangerous heavy landing as it will be dangerous to dump fuel. Landing heavy will mean higher landing speed, longer stopping distance and we all know it is tougher to control at higher speed with a heavy aircraft due to higher inertial so landing full of fuel is avoided unless unavoidable.

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

I am no insider. Came across this post on the net….looks genuine?

Just thought it'd be interesting to hear the perspective from the cabin crew who were on board the flight; unedited from a forwarded message that was sent to other SQ cabin crew:

Fwd msg:

2.5 hours into the flight, Capt informed us that suspect fuel leak, can't confirm but waiting for advice from SIN expert.

I went back to JCL to finish up the service, telling my crew to take turns to eat, distribute meals to EYCL.

Only PCL crew and I aware of situation. Then the fuel vapour smell came into the JCL cabin, quickly informed Capt. Eventually spread to whole aircraft. Towels immediately given to JCL pax and crew as it is the cabin with strongest burnt smell, causing cough and pain in the nostril and throat.

Capt made several annc to calm all pax, situation under control, and we are turning back the aircraft.

Engine with fuel leak was shut off, vapour smell reduced. Estimated time to landing was 2:00 hours.

Landing was as per normal. The minute the landing gears hit the runway, I saw flashes of yellow light, and two loud POP sound, pax shouted Fire!

Aircraft comes to stop, pax rush to door 2 demanding to open doors, annc from Capt, Cabin Crew at Station.

Crew told pax to stay calm and not to panic. Some pax were screaming and yelling at crew to open doors.

IFS contact Capt for further instructions, and told crew not to evacuate. I was in conflict, fire, no evacuation, we checked outside and saw fire was put off in less than thirty seconds. Instructed pax to stay calm and seat down.

Two crew at door 2 went to access condition at D3, as they are next to the engine that caught fire. The two crew, fifth month and two years flying were controlling the pax well.

No doors were opened as instructed by IFS.

Reasons for not opening the door was later shared with us, fuel burning on tarmac, foam on tarmac, can cause more injuries should we evacuate the pax, as the ground Fire brigade commander assured or Capt that the fire was completely wiped out and no need for evacuation.

Thanks for all the concern, all crew went RMG clinic for check up, counseling session offered. Group counseling session will be conducted for cabin crew and tech crew. Ward leaders contacted the crew concern and Three met us at airport, helping us out, managing the emotion of the crew. Chief pilot also spoke to all of us and shared info regarding the plane.

MC offered to crew but none accepted the MC. All resume duty on 29/06

Thanks again for all your support.
Info given by operating crew ... So you guys see the reason why there was no evacauation ... Take care all ...

• Praise 8

My fortune Master told me I will live pass 86 years old, and so I am never worry when I board a plane. Maybe I will start to worry after my 85th birthday...LOL :yeah-im-not-drunk:

Psst......Bro. I hearsay the retirement age is going to raise to 85 years

• Praise 1

(edited)

Raise never mind lah...

If can afford to retire, just retire lah...

So many of my old colleagues never get the retirement extended/renewed. The employers were awaiting impatiently to let them go. Then, there was this department boss who also did the same thing to the team. When the time was right, also tio shown the door (by his FT boss).... [laugh]

What may catch anyone by surprise is there could be a retirement tax in the future.  :XD:

Psst......Bro. I hearsay the retirement age is going to raise to 85 years

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

Wonder why the pilot did not divert to nearest Malaysia airport instead since they are in the Malaysia air space when the problem arise.

The pilots must have their own reasons for landing in Singapore instead.

Luckily no one was hurt.  Kudos to the Cabin team.  [thumbsup]

I think the aeroplane in this forum has already spoken. :D

Wonder why the pilot did not divert to nearest Malaysia airport instead since they are in the Malaysia air space when the problem arise.

Luckily no one was hurt.  Kudos to the Cabin team.  [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

(edited)

Luckily no one was hurt. Kudos to the Cabin team. [thumbsup]

Msia fire truck no budget for water la Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 1

And.... SIA did not receive their VEP RFID tag yet... so cannot land in Malaysia :D

no wait...that is only going to happen on 15th July 2016 right? Sorry...did not get the memo.

:XD:

Msia fire truck no budget for water la

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1