Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
1016 replies to this topic | 980 praises

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:15 PM

nazerath
  • nazerath
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Considering this car as my first car. any feedback on the diesel version? any promotion? read that it is now 120k. 

2BDriver, Jamesc and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:22 PM

Detach8
  • Premium member
    Detach8
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

THe car looks nice on the outside, but is really quite small on the inside with a small boot. Volvo is known for it's estate/wagons, and I think it would be better to consider the larger slibling V60.

It should be very nice to drive though. I have the old V50 and was very nice.

Edited by Detach8, 09 May 2014 - 11:23 PM.

nazerath and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:53 PM

Sgmotor
  • Sgmotor
    Clutched
    Author Image

THe car looks nice on the outside, but is really quite small on the inside with a small boot. Volvo is known for it's estate/wagons, and I think it would be better to consider the larger slibling V60.

It should be very nice to drive though. I have the old V50 and was very nice.

Hi, am considering S60 or S80 diesel as well, can share how's the reliability and consumption of a Volvo? Thanks
1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:06 AM

Tohto
  • Premium member
    Tohto
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Hi, am considering S60 or S80 diesel as well, can share how's the reliability and consumption of a Volvo? Thanks

This D2 engine is quite under power. The D4 will be a better engine. But AD never bring it in.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:31 AM

Eugn86
  • Premium member
    Eugn86
    4th Gear
    Author Image

This D2 engine is quite under power. The D4 will be a better engine. But AD never bring it in.

D2 is not underpowered. Just have to be realistic with your expectations. For city driving, the torque is really good, 270Nm. I have tested the  D2, owned the T4 and currently driving the T6. The D2 feels more sprightly than the T4 at low revs (city driving conditions). However the T4 has the advantage of horsepower thus if you rev the D2 beyond 3500rpm, out of the torque band, the car feels flat, hence overtaking will need to be planned. The most wonderful part of this engine is the fuel consumption. 1 full tank can get you more than 1000km... my friend is reporting >1300km on a full tank. In comparison, T4 gets you 550-600km on a full tank. 

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:00 AM

nazerath
  • nazerath
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

what about pumping malaysian diesel, heard it is a nono. what is its resale value like? apparently it is 130k or so. any views at this price point? am i better off with a jap car first and look at the conti cars next time when I can afford better?

the agents have been saying coe would rise so buy now! whats your view coz it seems like pressure tactics. 

Spring and 2BDriver praised this

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

Mach23
  • Premium member
    Mach23
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

My experience with Wearnes which distributes Volvo cars was very pleasant. Parts were replaced under warranty, no question asked. Wear and tear items excluded of course.

Edited by Mach23, 10 May 2014 - 08:11 AM.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

Ozkaki
  • Premium member
    Ozkaki
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

is it easy to get it repaired outside after the warranty? and are the parts much more expensive compared to jap?

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

zhehao
  • zhehao
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

I am also looking at the Volvo D2. Attractive price at 119k but don't know what's the trade off using a diesel...

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

Kusje
  • Kusje
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

What's the difference between the V40 Diesel and V40 Cross Country Diesel?

Based on price from SGcarmart, there is a 16k difference in price. Is it worth it?

V40 Diesel $134,999

V40 Cross Country Diesel $150,999

That is all.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

Kusje
  • Kusje
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I am also looking at the Volvo D2. Attractive price at 119k but don't know what's the trade off using a diesel...

119k? Is this 2nd hand or the current price at the show room?

That is all.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

Twich
  • Twich
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

My experience with Wearnes which distributes Volvo cars was very pleasant. Parts were replaced under warranty, no question asked. Wear and tear items excluded of course.

I do not have so many days of annual leave to enjoy free coffee. I need a reliable car to pick up my wife and children.

In Singapore, the only conti can trust is Mercedes. Others can write off. Because no resale values. No alternate workshop.
How many days of annual leave do u have?

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

Mach23
  • Premium member
    Mach23
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Think better take taxi, always there for you, early or late nia...

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

Twich
  • Twich
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Think better take taxi, always there for you, early or late nia...

Pocket money is very important. 10 years COE is like renting a car.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

Iridrium
  • Iridrium
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

I test driven the petrol version so won't comment on the engine. I like the many many safety features in V40 but I think the back seat space is a bit tight and back window a bit small. Boot space also ok only.

But hey , for $120k, there ain't many options.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

Twich
  • Twich
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

I test driven the petrol version so won't comment on the engine. I like the many many safety features in V40 but I think the back seat space is a bit tight and back window a bit small. Boot space also ok only.

Unless u have many days of annual leave.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:39 AM

Mach23
  • Premium member
    Mach23
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Yes it can get abit tight for 3 pax behind. Its rival are the 1 series and A3.

Edited by Mach23, 10 May 2014 - 10:40 AM.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

Twich
  • Twich
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Yes it can get abit tight for 3 pax behind. Its rival are the 1 series and A3.

I never consider conti cars besides Mercedes.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I think it makes sense if you cover long distances in a day that you get a turbodiesel engine car. You get longer mileage as compared to petrol and you get some savings on your fuel bill.

If you cover short distances, it's better to get a petrol engine.

Today's turbodiesel the DPF(idesel particulate filter) if you know how it works is that it uses the heat from the exhaust to disintegrate or burn the diesel black soot/particles. So if you cover short distances in a day the particles will acummulate and not be able to burn off fast enough resulting the DPF to get clogged. Dan you have to go to a workshop, remove it and clean it with a high pressure water hose. You can do a search on youtube on cleaning the diesel DPF.

Another thing about a diesel engine is its clattering noise it produce like a taxi. The turbodiesel system is more high tech dan the turbo petrol. There are more parts that will be subjected to failure over time in the course of wear and tear. What gives the turbodiesel the extra torque is the high pressure fuel system ie. diesel high pressure pump, common rail fuel distribution and the fuel injectors. Any of these parts fail due to wear and tear it's not easy to fault find and parts are not going to be cheap to replace. You will start to feel that the engine no longer produce that much power and you might see a lot of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Another thing is there are not many workshops out there who knows how to fix turbodiesel issues.

Unless you cover large mileage and if you do not intend to keep the car for long. Sure, you can get a turbodiesel option. Look out for ADs who offer 5 years warranty with unlimited mileage. After you are done servicing your loan (max 5years) it's time to change car. LoL...

Edited by Watwheels, 10 May 2014 - 10:52 AM.

Blackyv, Zakkwylde, Tarenn and 2 Anonymous members praised this
Night King

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

Twich
  • Twich
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

I think it makes sense if you cover long distances in a day that you get a turbodiesel engine car. You get longer mileage as compared to petrol and you get some savings on your fuel bill.

If you cover short distances, it's better to get a petrol engine.

Today's turbodiesel the DPF(idesel particulate filter) if you know how it works is that it uses the heat from the exhaust to disintegrate or burn the diesel black soot/particles. So if you cover short distances in a day the particles will acummulate and not be able to burn off fast enough resulting the DPF to get clogged. Dan you have to go to a workshop, remove it and clean it with a high pressure water hose. You can do a search on youtube.

Another thing about a diesel engine is its clattering noise it produce like a taxi. The turbodiesel system is more high tech dan the turbo petrol. There are more parts that will be subjected to failure over time in the course of wear and tear. What gives the turbodiesel the extra torque is the high pressure fuel system ie. diesel high pressure pump, common rail fuel distribution and the fuel injectors. Any of these parts fail due to wear and tear it's not easy to fault find and parts are not going to be cheap to replace. You will start to feel that the engine no longer produce that much power and you might see a lot of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Another thing is there are not many workshops out there who knows how to fix turbodiesel issues.

Unless you cover large mileage and if you do not intend to keep the car for long. Sure, you can get a turbodiesel option. Look out for ADs who offer 5 years warranty with unlimited mileage. After you are done servicing your loan (max 5years) it's time to change car. LoL...

Do not travel to causeway.

Back to Conti Talk  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Volvo V40 Diesel

Volvo V40 Diesel  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by KAY123  |  Neutral Newbie

one of the most punchy car I've driven ever

The car was superb.Despite being a diesel(115 bhp),it was super punchy as there was a lot of torque and when I pressed down on the accelerator it quickly flew off and overtaking other cars was a piece of cake.The gear shifts from the 6-speed... » Read More

Volvo V40 Diesel

Volvo V40 Diesel  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by royfong  |  Neutral Newbie

High torque with great handling and safety features

Been driving my blue Volvo V40 D2 for about 4 months and my average fuel consumption is 20km/liter of diesel which is great, but not as close as advertised of 24-25km/liter. Prior to my purchase, I've been looking at others like Volkswagen, A... » Read More

Related New Cars search on sgCarMart.com : Volvo V40 Diesel

Quick Reply

Tags: volvo, volvo v40, diesel car and 1 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users