KIA K5 Good ?

Ahchek

Hi All Bro/Sis,

When I'm shops around for K3, I take a look and in love on K5.. I test drove 2.4L and enjoy it.. Wonder how is the performance for they 2L? Under power? How is the FC?

I also read poor car servicing support from KIA, true?

Appreciate any advise and sharing..

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

First, I must qualify that I don't work for Kia. I shortlisted 4 cars for my purchase. The 4 models are Camry, Teana, Mazda 6 and K5. In the end, it was down to Mazda6 and K5. The comparable model (ie in the same price range) with K5 2.4 is Mazda 6 (2.0 Executive).

My reasons for choosing K5:

a. Comparing the features, K5 wins hands down.

b. Mazda 6 has $10k CEVs rebate if I recall correctly. This affects the scrap value of the car. OMV for Mazda 6 is slightly below $20k. OMV for Kia is $24k. After taking CEVs into consideration, the scrap value is even lower.

c. With OMV and COE, we can work out the cost of the car. Margin for Kia is much lower as I think they are after numbers only.

The main reasons for going with Mazda 6 is made in Japan and fuel consumption. But Kia has 5 years unlimited warranty. Mazda only has 3 years or 100,000km. Fuel consumption wise, Mazda 6 wins hands down though I believe it is not as efficient as they have stated on paper (16.7km/litre).

Anyway, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can only say do your own research and follow your heart. Cheers.

• Praise 6

For almost the same amount, I don't see why would one but this k5 over Mazda6...

The K5 is still more bang for buck though if I were to compare the highest spec of mz6 and K5, I would pick the mz6 provided they are the sane price range. But they are not.

K5 (and K3) has ventilated seats!

Not sure how good are the seats but seems like a very useful feature

• Praise 4

Its quite a nice sensation, but only feel it at my butt and lower back, cannot feel much at the thigh and upper back.

Any K5 owner share their drive feel please :)

The best owner to ask is from Silver cab driver, they should know better. Maybe next time just pop in to a K5 cab, chat with the driver, he can tell you more about this car. [:p]

• Praise 1

(edited)

If only they bring in the 2.0 turbo model, then it will be a no brainer.

Funny they bring in the 2.4 GDI for the sorento but not the 2.0 GDI.

Edited by Caravan

Turbocharged

Yup, I love this feature alot...

Yup, I love this feature alot...

More cars should come with this feature. I am parked under the sun the whole day, after a 45min drive after work, the seats (and I) still feel quite warm

More cars should come with this feature. I am parked under the sun the whole day, after a 45min drive after work, the seats (and I) still feel quite warm

Agreed, yet most car comes with heat ventilated seats instead!

You should do what the unkers and unties do. Use their hands and smack the seat to release the heat before sitting down.

Keep one towel and bottled water in car. Drench towel with water and put on seat. Heat transferred to towel = hot towel for wiping your face, hands, etc...... Seat becomes cooler for your butt.

• Praise 1

The best owner to ask is from Silver cab driver, they should know better. Maybe next time just pop in to a K5 cab, chat with the driver, he can tell you more about this car. [:p]

Taxi model is slightly different. 1.7 Turbo Diesel. Once of my colleagues took the cab from Changi before. He told me that the ride was very comfortable, and he couldn't feel much impact when the cab went over a hump.

Kia gave 5 years unlimited warranty. Each day, a taxi has to clock minimum 250km. Over 5 years, it translates to 456,250km. Looking for one angle, we might say that Kia is very confident of their product. I doubt I can clock this distance in 10 years.

Today is the 2nd day of my ride. I find that road noise is not bad as the test drives conducted by some professionals. Definitely a lot quieter than my previous ride, Honda Civic ES5. But then again, it could be the car is still new.

Steering wise, I find it too light. You could set it to Sports mode for better feel but the trade-off is heavier fuel consumption. I did not enable all the features. Only enabled blind sport detection and front sensors. Without the sensors and reverse camera, it can be quite challenging parking the car. It is quite long.

It gets very noisy if you open the shade to see through the glass rooftop. Maybe the glass is too thin?

Speaking of ventilated seats, people will think of just cooling the seats. K5 also has heat up option but I doubt any people in the right frame of mind will want to enable that.

Engine is quite responsive. I was told to keep rpm before 4k till the 1st servicing. In general, I was driving at less than 2k rpm, speed was about 90km/h.

Signal and wiper controls is like conti car - signal on the left, wiper on the right. Still not very used to it as all my previous 4 rides were Japanese cars.

Will try out the other features like auto hold, paddle shift when I am more familiar with the car. Hope this helps.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2