How do you get to be a "driving safety expert"

Kusje

Supersonic
(edited)

Banning young children from cycling alone on roads is impractical. Driving safety expert Gerard Pereira said that it is unfair to set an age limit on cyclists as cycling is a leisure activity for children as well. Mr Pereira, manager of the Singapore Safety Driving Centre, said that it is also difficult for an adult to supervise all the time. He said: "Sometimes, there is no other option than for the child to cycle alone. Parents have to make the judgment whether the child is ready or not." - See more at: http://transport.asiaone.com/news/general/story/i-am-never-cycling-again?page=0%2C0

Not sure if he has any brains or not. How can an 8 year old boy be allowed to ride his bike on the roads that are shared together with cars?

Edited by Kusje
↡ Advertisement

Last time when I was a kid I used to cycle around the industrial estate where my parents worked. Back then we already knew how to look out for cars and traffic and be careful. If possible ride on pavement.

Wonder what's different now.

Supercharged

Last time when I was a kid I used to cycle around the industrial estate where my parents worked. Back then we already knew how to look out for cars and traffic and be careful. If possible ride on pavement.

more cars, more inconsiderate n reckless drivers. Few decades ago, still can manage. now, I don't dare to let my children cross the two directional one way road at the housing estate by themselves. sometimes I think I was lucky nothing happened in my childhood when I cross the road or cycled along it.
  • Praise 2

last time not so many cars on the road

last time maybe people are more considerate

not every 8 year old like you so smart and know how to look out for cars..

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

when I was a kid, I also cycle on the road without my parents knowledge even thou they warned me several times.

My dad finally caught me cycling on the road and he completely destroyed my bike......and I didn't talk to him for months. [bigcry]

Now grow up liao. fully understand where my dad is coming from.

• Praise 1

my same old comment about cyclists. there are east coast park, pasir ris park, west coast park, marchite reservoir, punggol park, pulau ubin, etc., cycle there!

i know it is boring but we have no choice since we are not catered with cycling lane. suck thumb and toe.

if a cyclist insisted to cycle on the main road, get prepared for potential traffic accident. it is okay if you want to get injuried but the drive who banged on you, have to answer for it. why makes other people lives so difficult? :p

Whoa seh. So many commercial vehicles and bicycle incidents.

Yesterday I was reading Chinese gossip papers, there is also another such accident. Sorry no pic. It's about a Chinese National driving a what I think it's a Gardenia bread truck who hit and ran over a Indian national on a bicycle. Poor dude died on the spot with his guts spilled all over the road. It happened near some naval base, can't remember what road.

Commercial vehicles with today's COE a lot of companies are keeping them longer. Although they are subjected to more inspection checks but the focus is on the smog emissions not really focused on the vehicles condition. We know often such vehicles are taken with minimal care as it belongs to the company. It's also can be driven with little care too. And they are often used to the max.

Dunno lah. Now I'm seeing more commercial vehicles losing control coz of broken wheel axles. And the thing is the drivers are keeping to the speed limit. Mechanical failure on these vehicles are highers dan passenger cars. It's just too scary to imagine what kinda things that could happen.

↡ Advertisement