Degree holders face greatest risk of losing jobs

Darthrevan

Turbocharged

They want us to study even after retirement......get that degree.....open so many Open University! Nb...then tell us degree is not worth it's salt in the working environment. So confused.....what gives? Might as well close all this universities and open up more Polys and ITE! Right hand sayang left hand give slap!

Studying / learning as a lifelong activity is beneficial to us, especially to pick up new skills enabling us to make career moves or protect our jobs.

What the govt is cautioning now, in my opinion, is that youngsters should not have the mindset that once they get a degree, they are set up for life, with iron-clad job options, providing enough for a comfortable lifestyle with condo, car, etc.

We who have worked for some time, know all this, that there are no 100% guaranteed success in career even if you have all the right papers. But the youngsters are not aware, and thus may be dissatisfied once they find out the "hard truths". So, in my opinion, govt is now correcting the expectations of the youth.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Supersonic

There's always taxi driver job for the degree holders.

It's whether they want the job or not.

Studying / learning as a lifelong activity is beneficial to us, especially to pick up new skills enabling us to make career moves or protect our jobs.

What the govt is cautioning now, in my opinion, is that youngsters should not have the mindset that once they get a degree, they are set up for life, with iron-clad job options, providing enough for a comfortable lifestyle with condo, car, etc.

We who have worked for some time, know all this, that there are no 100% guaranteed success in career even if you have all the right papers. But the youngsters are not aware, and thus may be dissatisfied once they find out the "hard truths". So, in my opinion, govt is now correcting the expectations of the youth.

maybe true also....but then again they have been taking in fts from 3rd world country whose degree are a bit suspect. I really pity the young....damned if they do and damned if they dont. Best is to tell them to get that degree but dont aim for the sky.

University degree is too common, most of the FT coming in with uni degree, and yet very very cheap, degree over supply, local degree holder can't accept FT kind of income, sorry, you are out of job.

Even if you willing to downgrade yourself to garbage collector, there are more cheaper FT to fight with you.

What option do our local degree holder have? I don't know, may be we can start invading other countries and become the hated FT there.

Unfortunately, not may country's government is like ours that's more than happy to betray our own citizen for the sake of the government or more precisely, the political party's benefit.

• Praise 6

Hypersonic

maybe true also....but then again they have been taking in fts from 3rd world country whose degree are a bit suspect. I really pity the young....damned if they do and damned if they dont. Best is to tell them to get that degree but dont aim for the sky.

Exactly. Degrees are everywhere nowadays. Go out throw a stone and it will hit a degree holder (and kanna sue [laugh] [laugh] ). Anyway, back to the point. Many young people graduate hoping to find a job with good money and good prospect but reality hits really hard. They realize they are only as good as the sai gung people out there.

I worry for my children when they grow up. [:/]

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Even if you willing to downgrade yourself to garbage collector, there are more cheaper FT to fight with you.

Garbage collector may not want degree holder.

The company thinks you won't stay long, so they won't hire.

• Praise 2

Exactly. Degrees are everywhere nowadays. Go out throw a stone and it will hit a degree holder (and kanna sue [laugh] [laugh] ). Anyway, back to the point. Many young people graduate hoping to find a job with good money and good prospect but reality hits really hard. They realize they are only as good as the sai gung people out there.

I worry for my children when they grow up. [:/]

ya lor...last time when i was schooling oni have 1 university...NUS. Nantah was not even a recognise institution! Now there are so many U in SG those that cant even make it to poly during my time have the chance to get a degree! Really pity the younger generation....pay so much for the degree then have to fight with foreigners for a job! Really sucks and unhappy if i were them. 20 yrs down the road table wiping also need to have degree!

Garbage collector may not want degree holder.

The company thinks you won't stay long, so they won't hire.

in application form just dumb down the credential lor! May get lower salary but at least secure the job......hahaha!

Supersonic

ya lor...last time when i was schooling oni have 1 university...NUS. Nantah was not even a recognise institution! Now there are so many U in SG those that cant even make it to poly during my time have the chance to get a degree! Really pity the younger generation....pay so much for the degree then have to fight with foreigners for a job! Really sucks and unhappy if i were them. 20 yrs down the road table wiping also need to have degree!

in application form just dumb down the credential lor! May get lower salary but at least secure the job......hahaha!

Back during my days, I remember LKY say something like U must maintain high standard, so only 5% of top students can qualify.

That's a quota set for entry to local U.

So, many have to bypass the "high standard" requirement to do their degree overseas.

He says that SG doesn't want to be like Ph where graduates have no jobs.

Now, see what's happening.

Back during my days, I remember LKY say something like U must maintain high standard, so only 5% of top students can qualify.

That's a quota set for entry to local U.

So, many have to bypass the "high standard" requirement to do their degree overseas.

He says that SG doesn't want to be like Ph where graduates have no jobs.

Now, see what's happening.

now we bring them wholesale over here!

(edited)

local u graduate ... come in interview ... exec level nia ... 3 years experience ... no $4.5k no talk

FT u graduate probably with master ... come in interview ... same exec level ... > 5 years experience ... $3.5k

who do you employ?

Edited by Wt_know

Hypersonic

Degree holders are the most replaceable ones!

We can be replaceable with FTs :(

Garmen only took in FT with relevant skills level, and most of them, if not all, would have the degree certs. Some are even masters, PhDs, etc.

Take a look at Biopolis, full of FTs.

Even though we have opened up more local University to cater for our young aspirations, as well as distance learning that tie in with overseas Uni, but at the same time, we have also opened up recruitment of FTs that vie for jobs with our locals.

These are really our sandwich middle class degree holders or PMET.

For poly and ITE grads, there re still a place as their relevant hands on job duties are still a niche to local companies...

Hopefully, we can see the reduce of FTs, for I always believe that our locals are more than capable :)

Though maybe we are asking for higher wages, but at least the companies are sure that we will stay on, unlike FTs that may "butterfly" when opportunities arise in other countries.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Why you all say until like can hire all FTs?

There's a quota cater for different sectors. Which means you have to meet the quota criteria of the number of local staff companies hired before they can hire FTs. Companies cannot hire all FTs lah. Hence Bosses will be more choosy especially when FTs performs better, bosses will of course see them as getting bang for the buck choices. Local grads will have to buck up or lose their jobs. This is reality. What to do? Buck up lor.

Edited by Watwheels

(edited)

local u graduate ... come in interview ... exec level nia ... 3 years experience ... no $4.5k no talk

FT u graduate probably with master ... come in interview ... same exec level ... > 5 years experience ... $3.5k

who do you employ?

of course the ft....but who allowed the ft to be here in the 1st place? f the ft is a real talent doing things no Singaporean can think off i would give the idea a pruss....but to fight the job market that Singaporean can do, that is like killing our own because they eat more and the stepchildren eats lesser. No sane parents will do that! Edited by Eviilusion

Supersonic

now we bring them wholesale over here!

This means that Degree Holder still relevant. But pay peg to Poly or ITE depending on which industry 1 is in.

To earn like a degree holder in the past, must be scholar level. [scholar]

• Praise 1

(edited)

Many moons ago, we had technical schools, vocational training institute and polys which trained skilled workers and hands on person. Many of the graduates from these schools went on to become bosses. Many SME bosses now are from this parentage.

Then suddenly everyone thinks that hands on is a dirty word. Nobody wants to work with hands liao. Everyone wants to be pen pusher... Whether or not he is qualified to do so is not important because now everyone is 人材. I gave up...

Edited by Neost
↡ Advertisement