Speedsters beware. More speed cameras coming

Matoonia

I don't encourage speeding but I wish TP/LTA will review the speed limit in the first place.

Feel that in some roads, it is relatively safe to ride/drive at slightly higher speed (ie the speed limit is a bit too low).

Expressway too, some parts still 80km/hr....when majority of road users already exceeding it (some unknowingly).

• Praise 2

I still feel that the technolog is improving but not to the extend of being able to capture a license place moving towards the camera in low light especially without flash.

See this sample picture taken by a professional photographer reviewing the Sony A7sII.

DSC08955.jpg

Can still see significant motion blur especially where the passengers are seated. Those are definitely not >90kph.

Anyway I will not want to be the one to find out.  :grin:

I think the distance thing means that the moment you see them only means they probably got your speed already. Last time, see them, still got time to slow down before they register your speed.

Cameras are amazing now. Look at the Sony A7s2. Can transform from night to day. And that is a camera any normal person can buy. I am sure the TP can get even better technology than that.

(edited)

布拉迪喝药!!! first time on seletar link this afternoon, road totally empty and i might be "shot" as I was doing 70 and think the speed limit is 60.

as alphard96 mentioned, the speed limit of this road should be reviewed.

interesting note: somebody actually went on google maps to label this road as "seletar drag strip"  [hur]

Edited by Lotr
  • Praise 3

The new static speed cameras have very low tolerance even BEFORE the camera.

I kena at Yishun before when i slowed down from 80 to 60 about 300M before the speed camera. Crossed the speed camera very slightly above 60 (my speedometer) and was flashed once. Luckily no letter.

And last week, kena again. Same case as above, got flashed once. Hoping that no letter arrives in my mailbox.

However, if there are two flashes, then most likely there will be letter.

Wah...like that can look forward to more Lane hogging.

Classic example is the pie speed cam where speed limit is 80 but everyone slows down to 70 or less even when traffic is light.

It has been posted on several overseas forums that camera detectors don't work.

Why?

Because if your camera detector can detect the radar, that means the speed camera radar already detected you. So what's the point? By then, already too late if you want to slow down.

On Sunday doing some errant, travelling quite a number (about 15) of the 44 roads listed as Speed Can area, didn't manage to spot this cam as reported in this thread in Dec 2015. 

:slow:

lta-cam.png

So if we don't see signs 200m ahead can refute the summon?

[laugh]

The Straits Times reported that the Traffic Police (TP) will deploy a new speed laser camera at 44 speeding hotspots from Thursday, the 19th of May. This is the first time the cameras have been upgraded since speeding enforcement operations started in 2004.

These new cameras can capture higher resolution images, work better in low light conditions and have double the battery life of eight hours. They also have the ability to capture video. Officers will be stationed on overhead bridges or by the roadside. Signs will be placed about 200 metres before the speed laser cameras.

They are the latest effort by TP to curb the scourge of speeding. Statistics show accidents caused by speeding fell to 1,197 last year from 1,363 in 2014. The TP has attributed this decline to its new technology it has deployed on the roads to nab speedsters. In recent years, it has replaced its ageing film cameras on the roads to digital ones, and deployed mobile speed cameras, which can be taken down and set up quickly at speeding hotspots.

But the number of injuries and fatal accidents involving speeding vehicles have gone up. Last year, there were 8,021 injury accidents, up almost 3 percent from 7,809 cases in 2014. Fatal speeding accidents rose to 48 last year, from 43 in 2014. http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/article.php?AID=14926

If I'm not wrong, one is at Seletar Link. The other is at LCK Rd.

On Sunday doing some errant, travelling quite a number (about 15) of the 44 roads listed as Speed Can area, didn't manage to spot this cam as reported in this thread in Dec 2015. 

lta-cam.png

(edited)

This morning at 4.30am...yes 4.30am, saw TP on overhead bridge shooting along CTE towards city near the Moulmin exit.

I pass the same spot 10min later but on the opposite direction and he still there.

I believe the new camera is capable in capturing number plates in low light conditions.

Guys , take note.

Edited by Rogersk8ter
  • Praise 2

It has been posted on several overseas forums that camera detectors don't work.

Why?

Because if your camera detector can detect the radar, that means the speed camera radar already detected you. So what's the point? By then, already too late if you want to slow down.

if its purely just a radar speed camera, it may work.

Some radar waves will bounce off the car. A sensitive radar detector will pick up these stray waves and sets off a warning.

If its a laser speed cam, then a laser detector will not be useful. it'll be too late.

I read somewhere that the new generation radar/laser speed guns are able to detect cars fitted with radar detectors.

if its purely just a radar speed camera, it may work.

Some radar waves will bounce off the car. A sensitive radar detector will pick up these stray waves and sets off a warning.

If its a laser speed cam, then a laser detector will not be useful. it'll be too late.

If I'm not wrong there are only three of these movable speed cams at the moment, in Seletar Link, Lim Chu Kang Road and Jurong Island Highway.

They are confined to those areas but can be moved around different sections of the road and set up in a new position in just a week.

My uncle just got caught by the Lim Chu Kang Road one last week, saw the flash when he was only about 10km/h above the limit. Seems like it is quite accurate and sensitive, unlike the old ones.

You won't see this at the 44 locations. What you may encounter will be TP officers manning the handheld laser cams.

lta-cam.png

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

If I'm not wrong there are only three of these movable speed cams at the moment, in Seletar Link, Lim Chu Kang Road and Jurong Island Highway.

They are confined to those areas but can be moved around different sections of the road and set up in a new position in just a week.

My uncle just got caught by the Lim Chu Kang Road one last week, saw the flash when he was only about 10km/h above the limit. Seems like it is quite accurate and sensitive, unlike the old ones.

You won't see this at the 44 locations. What you may encounter will be TP officers manning the handheld laser cams.

List of Roads where Mobile Speed Cameras (MSCs) are deployed

Information updated as of 21 March 2016

No.

Jurong Island Highway towards end

Lim Chu Kang Road towards end

Seletar Link towards Seletar North

Not accurate:

Jurong Island Highway right smack in the middle near to the Jurong Island Firestation

List of Roads where Mobile Speed Cameras (MSCs) are deployed

Information updated as of 21 March 2016

No.

Jurong Island Highway towards end

Lim Chu Kang Road towards end

Seletar Link towards Seletar North

This is a good start, but to many of us, a speedcam whether the old or new type, is still speedcam.

Maybe we can list down all the hotspots, including those where the mfkers are standing on top of or under the o/h bridges.

What say hiadees/hiabuays.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1