• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
52 replies to this topic | 75 praises

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

Whiteice78
  • Premium member
    Whiteice78
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

This question has been on my mind for quite some time, need to get it off my chest.

The current vehicle transfer fee is $11 but the current number plate retention fee is $1300 (to old car). Then to transfer the number onto new car, it costs only $100.

All 3 have seemingly identical process and costs imo, but why is there such a big difference in fee collected. No matter how you compare the 3 fees, cant make sense to me...  

Tonydeath and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

Little_prince
  • Premium member
    Little_prince
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

just another way for govt to earn money lor

1 Anonymous member praised this
"Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it'll spend it's whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

HungryPaPa - https://instagram.com/hungrypapa/

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

Rm2s
  • Premium member
    Rm2s
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Transfer fee used to be fairly high as well and it was adjusted awhile back to this current level.

The number plate retention fees are the one that is a puzzle to me for awhile as well. In the past there are paperwork to be handled and since LTA have already computerised almost all of its operation, the amount of work to transfer a vehicle or a number plate shouldn't differ that much.

May be we all should write in to seek clarify and also to suggest a revision of such fees.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

yo2020
  • yo2020
    6th Gear
    Author Image

This question has been on my mind for quite some time, need to get it off my chest.

The current vehicle transfer fee is $11 but the current number plate retention fee is $1300 (to old car). Then to transfer the number onto new car, it costs only $100.

All 3 have seemingly identical process and costs imo, but why is there such a big difference in fee collected. No matter how you compare the 3 fees, cant make sense to me...  

i think what mentioned was either incorrect or not clear.

if retained a number frm a de-registering car, jz need to pay only $100. later on use it to register for a new car, it's free.

it is only costly when there is a need to have a new number for the veh that the number is retaining frm.

eg. retain number 888 frm Car A, 888 will b used for Car B. then Car A is not de-reg, so need a new number for Car A.

i guess the high cost is to discourage ppl frm doing this.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

Rm2s
  • Premium member
    Rm2s
    5th Gear
    Author Image

i think what mentioned was either incorrect or not clear.

if retained a number frm a de-registering car, jz need to pay only $100. later on use it to register for a new car, it's free.

it is only costly when there is a need to have a new number for the veh that the number is retaining frm.

eg. retain number 888 frm Car A, 888 will b used for Car B. then Car A is not de-reg, so need a new number for Car A.

i guess the high cost is to discourage ppl frm doing this.

Good point.

I tend to retain my existing number to be transferred to a used car that I bought. The number has sentimental value to me that is why I am doing that despite the $1,300 charge.

Looking at it from logistic standpoint, there is no difference in using old number on new car or old number on used car. If LTA system has trouble administering the old number, then it would be an issue to keep old number on new car as well right?

Some of these procedures and charges are historical in nature, perhaps there need to be more public feedback for LTA to conduct a review.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

drivinghazard
  • Premium member
    drivinghazard
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

It's more leh chay to transfer license number to old car.

1. If transfer to a used car, the sale car need to get a license plate. and then the new purchased used car need to remove the existing license plate and change to new one. Not sure if the existing license plate can be returned into the system and recycle or not.

2. If transfer to a new car, only the sale car need to replace new license plate. Since the new car is unregistered and do not have a license number.

Hope my explanation is correct and makes sense. Nonetheless, I also feel that $1300 is a bit too hefty a fee.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Read somewhere before that the $1300 for the retain of car number to other existing car, the breakdown is something like this.

$100 is to retain the exisiting number that you yourself is holding.

$1200 is to 'bid' a new car number to replace the car that the car number has been retained by you, which is the car that you are selling, fees also included the admin fees to de-registered the car number on the used car that you are buying.

Dont know how correct i am? [:p]

Edited by 13177, 28 May 2014 - 04:37 PM.

Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Life is very fragile. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

BabyBlade

So what happens if you have two vehicles and you want to switch the number plates? Since you don't have to bid for a new number (direct swap), I don't suppose the $1200 should be charged?

I like my hair messy, my life high, and my soul wild.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

Jason_chia2001
  • Premium member
    Jason_chia2001
    1st Gear
    Author Image

So what happens if you have two vehicles and you want to switch the number plates? Since you don't have to bid for a new number (direct swap), I don't suppose the $1200 should be charged?

U will have to pay $2600 if u do that.. :D

Idea for LTA is to charge for retaining number to a used car and by "encouraging" u to get a new car, its "only" $100 to do the retaining... [smash]

JJ

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:32 PM

BabyBlade

U will have to pay $2600 if u do that.. :D

Idea for LTA is to charge for retaining number to a used car and by "encouraging" u to get a new car, its "only" $100 to do the retaining... [smash]

It's always going to be about the money huh?

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

F355
  • F355
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Aiyo if change or transfer number plate to old car is $100 instead of $1300 , I do it very often liao.

Cos I always cheong NS highway and kena speed camera. One offence RM 300 .  If change plate is sgd $100 , one offence nia can recoup liao.  Since changing now costs sgd 1300,  need to accumulate about 10 offence then only worthwhile.

True story - I have a friend who travels regularly to Ipoh and raked up about RM 5k  in summons ( he checked online ) ; so he spent sgd 1300 change number plate.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:37 PM

Furrynadz
  • Premium member
    Furrynadz
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

When ah gong want money, he want money
The 1300 is more to carrot those rich with 8888 9999 168 1688 etc that kind number plate,

U and me are poor folks, just get caught up in the system

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Kindly search In future. This discussed until the dead reincarnated

http://www.mycarforu...rm=Transfer fee

RESPECT is only for the DEAD!

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

BabyBlade

Aiyo if change or transfer number plate to old car is $100 instead of $1300 , I do it very often liao.

Cos I always cheong NS highway and kena speed camera. One offence RM 300 .  If change plate is sgd $100 , one offence nia can recoup liao.  Since changing now costs sgd 1300,  need to accumulate about 10 offence then only worthwhile.

True story - I have a friend who travels regularly to Ipoh and raked up about RM 5k  in summons ( he checked online ) ; so he spent sgd 1300 change number plate.

If I were you I wouldn't dare to boast about my speeding offences in bolehland online. IMO, if you want Malaysians to respect SG's traffic rules when they're here, then shouldn't we do the same when we go over?  [shakehead]

Takes two hands to clap. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:30 PM

Slyison
  • Premium member
    Slyison
    4th Gear
    Author Image

If I were you I wouldn't dare to boast about my speeding offences in bolehland online. IMO, if you want Malaysians to respect SG's traffic rules when they're here, then shouldn't we do the same when we go over?  [shakehead]

Takes two hands to clap. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Yes bro. I agree with you. No doubt this is a rather "smart and innovative" method to avoid paying the speeding summons which one accumulated over the years at bolehland, but if everyone were to use this method to avoid paying fine, I am very sure that our dear LTA will work hand in hand with the Malaysian authority before one could change number plate or transfer veh.

This is what will happen if both Singapore and Malaysia authority work closely together :
--------> tan ah kok is a hardcore chiongster who like to speed whenever his car enter bolehland. 5 years has passed and he accumulated $5000 worth of speeding summons issued by the Malaysian authority. Being a smart Alec , he adopted the method which was mentioned earlier by one of the bro by changing number plate...... One day, LTA and Malaysia made it compulsory for all Singapore registered veh to settle their outstanding summons before one could change veh number. They can also make it compulsory that all veh owner to settle their outstanding summons (be it sg summon or boleh summon ) before they can sell off their car because this is to safeguard the interests of potential (ignorant) buyer.

So please tell your friend to keep comment to himself, some lobangs are not meant to be share openly, please don't spoil the market.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:40 PM

JustGoodTrades
  • JustGoodTrades
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Sorry, I read the posts and still a bit unsure.

So if I intend to scrap my existing car and want to transfer the number plate of this existing to a used car, it will only cost me $100?

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

Jason_chia2001
  • Premium member
    Jason_chia2001
    1st Gear
    Author Image

So if I intend to scrap my existing car and want to transfer the number plate of this existing to a used car, it will only cost me $100?

Transfer existing car plate number to a new car costs $100 if done within 14 days..
Transfer existing car plate number to used car costs $1300..
Transfer existing car plate number to new car if take longer than 14days but less than 1 year, pay $1300 up front and if transfer done before 1 year LTA returns u $1200....
JJ

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:20 PM

Whiteice78
  • Premium member
    Whiteice78
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Kindly search In future. This discussed until the dead reincarnated

http://www.mycarforu...rm=Transfer fee

Sorry mod, I did search before posting but I could only find post with regards to transfer fee alone and not transfer fee vs no. retention fee. Hence my new thread.

Transfer existing car plate number to a new car costs $100 if done within 14 days..
Transfer existing car plate number to used car costs $1300..
Transfer existing car plate number to new car if take longer than 14days but less than 1 year, pay $1300 up front and if transfer done before 1 year LTA returns u $1200....

thnks, yours is a clearer summary. Factor in the current $11 transfer fee when you purchase a used car, I really don't see where the $1300 for number retention comes into play.

Anyway, I have already wrote to LTA hoping they could enlighten me on the disparity, will update if they reply for those interested.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:25 PM

Whiteice78
  • Premium member
    Whiteice78
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Nope, if you transfer onto a new car under your name, it will cost  $100.

But

If you transfer to a used car, it will cost $1300.

IMO, the differences in paperwork and cost def not a $1200 diff,

Then to transfer a used car ownership only costs $11.

Figs dun make sense at all

JustGoodTrades praised this

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:53 AM

Tiger1
  • Premium member
    Tiger1
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Nope, if you transfer onto a new car under your name, it will cost  $100.

But

If you transfer to a used car, it will cost $1300.

IMO, the differences in paperwork and cost def not a $1200 diff,

Then to transfer a used car ownership only costs $11.

Figs dun make sense at all

Which and what govt policy makes sense nowsaday? You tell me lor.

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: alfa romeo, transfer, number and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users