Mazda 5 - requesting owners feedback

Dgeralds

Congrats. First few thousand kMs i noticed the mileage to be quite bad. First few full tank can get me around 530km. After 5k km i can get around 600km. Using octane 92.

hmm... that's really not a good news.... any idea how big is the fuel tank, 60L?

I'm on octane 95... got it to full tank on collection.

The HU comes with the car is Pioneer X2750BT. But, the reverse camera is mounted towards the left hand side (instead of the centre) of the car, thus the guide is kind of offset.

↡ Advertisement

hmm... that's really not a good news.... any idea how big is the fuel tank, 60L?

I'm on octane 95... got it to full tank on collection.

The HU comes with the car is Pioneer X2750BT. But, the reverse camera is mounted towards the left hand side (instead of the centre) of the car, thus the guide is kind of offset.

Checked, it's 60L, with your mileage of 530km =>8.83km/L & 600km => 10km/L... that's a bit low, right?

Checked, it's 60L, with your mileage of 530km =>8.83km/L & 600km => 10km/L... that's a bit low, right?

Mine nearing 5000km. Fuel consumption quite poor. On Shell 98, only get about 8.8 km/l.

Quite disappointing. But the car drives well.

Bro, that is not the way to calculate mileage because you did not use up the entire 60L for 530KM. To determine mileage, take the following steps:

1. Top up to full tank by auto-stop (pump automatically stop, no more top up after auto-stop)

2. Reset your distance meter

3. Drive around

4. Top up to full tank by auto-stop again. At this point, you have amount of gasoline used and the distance traveled.

I used kmttan method. Before 5k km i used to get 10+km per l. Now i am getting 11+ near to 12km per l

The reverse camera is ony useful to avoid hitting the rear when reversing straight. I still look left and right when parking my car.

Bro, that is not the way to calculate mileage because you did not use up the entire 60L for 530KM. To determine mileage, take the following steps:

1. Top up to full tank by auto-stop (pump automatically stop, no more top up after auto-stop)

2. Reset your distance meter

3. Drive around

4. Top up to full tank by auto-stop again. At this point, you have amount of gasoline used and the distance traveled.

Thank you...

I used kmttan method. Before 5k km i used to get 10+km per l. Now i am getting 11+ near to 12km per l

The reverse camera is ony useful to avoid hitting the rear when reversing straight. I still look left and right when parking my car.

yes. still trying to get my estimation right.... so far it's a good upgrade for myself coming from a Lancer GLX.... :)

I read the user manual just now, Mazda is advising min Ron 95...and you're on Ron 92?

Edited by Erictl76

Your Mazda will perform best with fuel listed in the table.

Fuel Octane Rating* (Anti-knock index) Regular unleaded fuel 87 [ (R+M)/2 method] or above (91 RON or above). Fuel with a rating lower than 87 octane (91 RON) could cause the emission control system to lose effectiveness. It could also cause engine knocking and serious engine damage.

I was comparing Wish to M5 at M showroom. M5 ia 2.0cc and Wish 1.8cc. M5 weight is 1.5 tonne and Wish 1.3 tonne. M5 has 15.1km/l and Wish 14.7km/l. I ask sales, how is it possible to have better fuel economy from a higher cc and heavier car? Sales pointed me to skyactive. I actually believe and bought M5 on national day week for $120k + 3 year servicing. Full tank is slightly > $100 for shell 98 after discount. So far, I have driven only 400km. The ride is so smooth compared to vios. Currently, my average is 10l/100km. Can I request M5 driver to state your FC, petrol brand and fuel octane and credit card? Don't you think M misrepresent on the fuel economy ?

Just came back from a return trip from upper bukit timah to punggol and back. Managed to drive my average down to 9.7l/100km. This time I was travelling 80-90km/h with both air-con turn on. rpm was hovering just below 2,000 except some overtaking manoeuvre etc. I think I lost a cube for this trip (full tank fuel is 12 cubes). My first 400km, I was driving at 60-70km/h, my average went down to 10l/100km. I always love manual gear. Does anyone know what is the gear number at 80-90km/h ? At what speed will the gear reach 6 ? What is your ideal speed to achieve minimum fuel consumption ?

Edited by Previousviosdriver

Just came back from a return trip from upper bukit timah to punggol and back. Managed to drive my average down to 9.7l/100km. This time I was travelling 80-90km/h with both air-con turn on. rpm was hovering just below 2,000 except some overtaking manoeuvre etc. I think I lost a cube for this trip (full tank fuel is 12 cubes). My first 400km, I was driving at 60-70km/h, my average went down to 10l/100km. I always love manual gear. Does anyone know what is the gear number at 80-90km/h ? At what speed will the gear reach 6 ? What is your ideal speed to achieve minimum fuel consumption ?

Wow, that is a pretty good FC figure, may I ask what petrol are you using? I'm getting around 10.3l/100km with about 60% urban and 40% expressway driving, using Shell V-Power (was previously using Esso 5000 but wanted to try V-Power to see if can get more mileage). I was initially getting around 12.4 the first 2 weeks, then after resetting the computer I'm now getting a much more reasonable figure. My first full tank using Esso 5000 managed to get around 600km, now on my second tank using V-Power, let's see how much more I can get.

Why were you limiting your speed to 60-70km/h for the first 400km? Trying to run in the engine? It's actually not necessary for cars nowadays despite what some people say, just try not to ram your foot down on the pedal. I think cruising speed for this car should be at least 80, u can tell by the rpm when it levels to slightly below 2000, that should be the sweet spot.

I was comparing Wish to M5 at M showroom. M5 ia 2.0cc and Wish 1.8cc. M5 weight is 1.5 tonne and Wish 1.3 tonne. M5 has 15.1km/l and Wish 14.7km/l. I ask sales, how is it possible to have better fuel economy from a higher cc and heavier car? Sales pointed me to skyactive. I actually believe and bought M5 on national day week for $120k + 3 year servicing. Full tank is slightly > $100 for shell 98 after discount. So far, I have driven only 400km. The ride is so smooth compared to vios. Currently, my average is 10l/100km. Can I request M5 driver to state your FC, petrol brand and fuel octane and credit card? Don't you think M misrepresent on the fuel economy ?

Congrats on your new ride, I also bought mine recently and compared to my previous 1.5L ride this is so much better in every way! Pick up is much better, the power delivery is so smooth it makes you wanna overtake whenever possible! But on the flip side, FC will definitely suffer with this kind of driving, coupled with the fact that this is a much bigger and heavier ride, I'm happy if I can get 10km/L (previous ride was getting 12.5km/L).

I think most brands state their FC figures based on no aircon, minimum load, 95% expressway and very light-footed driving conditions, so it is actually possible to obtain, just that for normal driving in SG it is highly unlikely you will ever achieve those kind of figures. But if you compare to another 2.0L MPV like Kia Carens, this car is actually more efficient and yet gives you better performance.

my ideal speed is to be slightly above 80km/h in expressways

when accelerate, try to keep below 2K rpm

aircon temperature at 28 degrees without rear aircon being activated

tyre pressure pumped at 240 kpa when cold

best settings so far for me. However sometimes i might not follow them due to having passengers, in a rush or due to the hot weather.

Edited by hitlerson21

my ideal speed is to be slightly above 80km/h in expressways

when accelerate, try to keep below 2K rpm

aircon temperature at 28 degrees without rear aircon being activated

tyre pressure pumped at 240 kpa when cold

best settings so far for me. However sometimes i might not follow them due to having passengers, in a rush or due to the hot weather.

Hi hitlerson21,

I am doing 80-90, keep it below 2k rpm and consume 1 cube (fuel) daily.

Which will consume more fuel ? Turn on rear aircon and fan speed at 1 or turn off rear aircon and fan speed at 2.

Which aircon do you use for row 2 ? Which aircon do you use for row 3 ?

best setting

Congrats on your new ride, I also bought mine recently and compared to my previous 1.5L ride this is so much better in every way! Pick up is much better, the power delivery is so smooth it makes you wanna overtake whenever possible! But on the flip side, FC will definitely suffer with this kind of driving, coupled with the fact that this is a much bigger and heavier ride, I'm happy if I can get 10km/L (previous ride was getting 12.5km/L).

I think most brands state their FC figures based on no aircon, minimum load, 95% expressway and very light-footed driving conditions, so it is actually possible to obtain, just that for normal driving in SG it is highly unlikely you will ever achieve those kind of figures. But if you compare to another 2.0L MPV like Kia Carens, this car is actually more efficient and yet gives you better performance.

This forum very funny. I cannot cancel my reply. Log out won't help. Die die must reply.

10km/L. I think you can achieve 11km/L.

Thanks for sharing Eric. I asked my sales agent and he told me using octane 92 is fine but 95 is the best. I have been using it since day 1. Serviced at mazda twice with no issue. Mazda japan manual stated as long as above octane 89 the car will run fine.

i used aircon at level 1 most of the time. Only when there are passengers sitting on row 3, i will use speed level 2 for rear aircon and level 1 for front. If there are passengers at row 2, i will switch on both front and rear aircon at level 1

Thanks for sharing Eric. I asked my sales agent and he told me using octane 92 is fine but 95 is the best. I have been using it since day 1. Serviced at mazda twice with no issue. Mazda japan manual stated as long as above octane 89 the car will run fine.

i used aircon at level 1 most of the time. Only when there are passengers sitting on row 3, i will use speed level 2 for rear aircon and level 1 for front. If there are passengers at row 2, i will switch on both front and rear aircon at level 1

Not sure if I have post this before. In US, the highest grade is 91 Octane and they have many Mazda 5 there too. My feel is that, higher grades provide more responsive engine, but use more fuel.

For my previous Wish, I pump 92 in SG but 97 in MY. For 92, the car was more sluggish but gave me consistent >12km/L mileage. For half tank 97 and half tank 92, I could feel a more responsive car but mileage was consistently 10-11km/L. Both were compared on Singapore road with 50% highway. That Wish (not mine now) is still going strong, now at its 11th year.

Not sure if I have post this before. In US, the highest grade is 91 Octane and they have many Mazda 5 there too. My feel is that, higher grades provide more responsive engine, but use more fuel.

For my previous Wish, I pump 92 in SG but 97 in MY. For 92, the car was more sluggish but gave me consistent >12km/L mileage. For half tank 97 and half tank 92, I could feel a more responsive car but mileage was consistently 10-11km/L. Both were compared on Singapore road with 50% highway. That Wish (not mine now) is still going strong, now at its 11th year.

I was looking at PI Wish before chosen the M5. We really like the space in Wish, but road noise is kind of loud.

What're the differences in term of usage/driving since you own/owned both?

Unfortunately, I have no chance to monitor my first tank fc... I top up to 3/4 then travel to JB... of course, I am back with full tank of Ron97.

Will be traveling on NSH this Sun.... should be able to know the fc purely on highway..with full load.

Edited by Erictl76
↡ Advertisement